• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Yeah, the tank needs replacing. I did the sender a good while back but not the tank. the inline filter I used this time was one of those clear plastic ones. I'm not fond of them due to the chance of something hitting and cracking it, but on the other side, I can look and see what it collects. the good side of this is it saved the lift pump from chewing on that stuff LOL.
PO had removed the tank sock on My truck. It has the steel housing version of the filter You are running. I too had thought about using a see through plastic unit but I just chiggin out everytime and when I’m calling in the parts order I tell them the steel housing unit.
YES ! ! ! !
I do call in my parts order and nine times out of ten, have them deliver it.
Yeah, parts stores here in this small town delivers, usually only to commercial shops but I do so much buidness wittum that they are happy and willing to deliver.
That is especially nice when I’m in doing some major repairs, or, temps is 31 below zero and the wind chill takes it to 50 below or some such. 👍😹😹😹

The 2014 4Runner had developed a loud squeal in the front brakes when first backing up in the morning and the brakes were cold. I pulled pads and pins, wire brushed back of pads and both sides of the backing plates, and the pins which were heavily rusted after 345K miles. Then everything, except the brake pads themselves, got a coat of brake grease and reinstalled. Tested them this morning and no squeal, so calling it a victory.

So far so good, I only replaced the inline filter by the tank and shes still running. I have the pressure gauge zip tied to the passenger wiper so i can watch it while driving. The gauge needle is bouncing where I can't see what pressure it's at when running but it only goes to 0 under a heavy load. I need to invest into a better flowing LP soon. I think these factory style LP's is what's causing the gauge bounce but not sure.

I need to look for a better LP that isn't too expensive. the 93 truck I just brought home has a facet 40222 under the hood. is this a good alternative?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I also found this one that shows a 50 gph at 12 -15 psi. the other one is a 33 gph at 7-11 psi. what is best for a DS4 IP?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well in other news. I got a chance to play some with the 93 truck. after swapping out the oil feed line to the turbo that was blown, I had a time cranking on it. it took several tries alternating from glow plug cycling to cranking to let the starter rest and repeat and finally got it to bust off and run!
Now I have zero experience with a DB2 setup but once I got it started I let it idle for a minute or two, mind you I had no coolant in the system since I drained it right before the freeze hit. it was purring like a rattly kitten until I tried to slowly rev up the engine. as soon as I touched the pedal, it fell flat and died...

I checked to make sure there was fuel getting to the IP. there is a pressure gauge in the cab which was reading right at 9psi. I cracked open the bleeder on the ffm and triggered the LP and fuel shot out everywhere. went back to trying to start it once more, but what puzzled me was after it died the cranking sounded like it lost all compression on most of the cylinders.

I kept trying, alternating between the glow plugs (manual push button) to cranking and letting the starter rest. cracked two injector lines and fuel was present when cranking. After about the third attempt in the cranking cycles it began to gallop hitting on one or two cylinders. I kept at it for a bit more and finally it started hitting on more and more cranking faster and faster until it started running again.

I left it idling for about 4-5 minutes until I saw the temp gauge moving (still no coolant) shut it off, waited a bit and tried it once more. it fired right up. tried again and it fired right up again. this time I tried pressing the pedal and it revved up like it should.

she smokes like a freight train both from blow by and from the tail pipe, but sounds good.

I left it at that, left to town and picked up a bottle of antifreeze and some trans fluid since that is low too. plan to fill the radiator, winterizing the cooling system, top off all the fluids and let it run longer than just the 5 minutes. See what all works and what shes gonna need tomorrow. :)

there should be a thread on here somewhere of him rebuilding the engine
I've been scouring the forums for details on the truck. Haven't turned up too much. hopefully the smoking will subside once I get the radiator filled and be able to run the engine more tomorrow. I might have ran it a total of 7-8 minutes today, I didn't want to get the engine hot since the cooling system is drained out.

well today I got to winterize the 93 truck. topped off all the fluids and ran it a while warming up everything. took it out for a spin around the neighborhood (no license tags yet). I'm not used to a DB2 or one with a TCI trans controller, but it shifts hard from first to second, but smooth on the other gears. Also functioned the GV overdrive unit. it seems to work with a manual toggle switch.

I got some time to call deejaaa on the phone for a bit talking and learning what each switch did in the cab. he mentioned that the TCC lockup was on a toggle and did not auto lock at speed. I haven't found the right switch for that yet but would like to find a way for it to auto lock at speeds.

Also noticed that when the trans is in park or neutral the speedo moves up to about 10 mph, as soon as you shift into reverse or drive the speedo goes to 0. I'm assuming that has something to do with the TCI controller or the GV OD unit and how the speed sensors are setup.

I need to find more info about both units and how they are wired up in a 93 truck, I know I read some of his posts back when he was installing them where he was having issues finding a wire diagram or instructions for anything other than a 95-96 model.

Otherwise it drove good and seems to have some giddy-up peppyness to it.

went out yesterday to the 93 truck just to see how easy it would be to start in the cold weather. took two tries but it fired up without a fight. idled smooth and seems to have a better heater than my 95 does!! I sat in the cab for a while since it was nice and cozy in there LOL

found the door key which was wire-tied to the front inner wheel well, took both keys to have copies made before I lost them LOL. the place didn't have the correct shape for the ignition key, all they had was a odd shaped one. I need to find a place that still carries the OEM shape keys for these older rigs.

Today I made some progress with the feed the beast modification on my 96 gmc truck with the 6.2.It turned out pretty well.

I used a 9/32 Walter drill bit to enlarge the 7/16-20 jic fitting going into the injection pump.I considered a 19/64 bit but it leaves a thin wall afterwards so I figured it would be best to leave some extra meat so it wouldn’t twist off the second I tightened it upon the injection pump.

Everything turned out okay.I used a snubber valve before I threaded the transducer in place for the electric fuel pressure gauge.From the research I did it seems a snubber is necessary to keep the needle from bouncing,etc.I’m just using a stock nos acdelco lift pump for now.Do you guys think I should leave the snubber in place or remove it?I plan to upgrade to a carter P4601 pump or something better perhaps very soon.

I just need to feed the wiring harness through the firewall now and put the gauge pod upon the A pillar.Things like that.I took some pictures of what is done so far.I also used some black aeroquip #6 hose which is equivalent to 3/8” so everything now on this truck is 3/8”.

I barely had enough room to get the black 6an T fitting installed next to the shutoff solenoid.But it worked out very nicely.

Maybe tomorrow I’ll get the fuel gauge mounted and get that working hopefully.

Attachments

• IMG_7614.jpeg
    IMG_7614.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7615.jpeg
    IMG_7615.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7616.jpeg
    IMG_7616.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7613.jpeg
    IMG_7613.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
This evening the gauge wiring is wired up with the help of some fuse taps that make things much easier.I definitely need to upgrade to a higher output lift pump.Right now it’s putting out 5psi at idle,drops to 4 psi at around 1200 rpm and 9 psi with the ignition off.

At least now I know how the pressure looks so upgrading to a better lift pump is something I want to do really soon.

Now I just need to prep the autometer gauge holder and finish it off with some aerosol paint I have in beige to match the interior.

Attachments

• IMG_7617.jpeg
    IMG_7617.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7618.jpeg
    IMG_7618.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 3
Back