• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Aggravating. In the 70’s it was kinda common to hear of dui and dismissed as an “oops”.
By the 90’s it was shown as the biggest problem hands down and laws in place made positive impacts. Now there is too much a resurgence of it, as if we have no clue. I’ve lost too many friends and family members to it.

A person randomly shooting an AK 47 at passers by, people have No complaints of another person pulling a pistol for two to the head two to the chest and ending the threat. But get all whiney about it when instead of 7.9 grams at 2,300 feet per second turns into 7,900 lbs doing 32mph. Both negligent discharge of a deadly weapon and need identical treatment. Only difference- one ak47 round rarely kills an entire family.

Tonight isn’t just my wedding anniversary, but anniversary of death for 2 cousins and a close friend. All three decorated soldiers, and one were already single parent. That parlayed into 2 more lost via suicide over dead parents. Luckily the dui guy - it was only his third conviction. Five years later he was free on the streets and six years later to the day he paralyzed a ten year old girl. Something happened and he never faced trial that time. He just seems to have disappeared without a trace. Odd. Maybe judge shouldn’t have let him out on bail? Or maybe it’s good she did.

Some say God is too harsh making the wages of sin as death. I think some say a lot about things they haven’t experienced. I’ve no doubt the death & hell I’m worthy of.

I know an alcoholic who loves drinking, he gave up driving. I love driving, I gave up drinking. It’s really not complicated.

Aggravating. In the 70’s it was kinda common to hear of dui and dismissed as an “oops”.
By the 90’s it was shown as the biggest problem hands down and laws in place made positive impacts. Now there is too much a resurgence of it, as if we have no clue. I’ve lost too many friends and family members to it.

A person randomly shooting an AK 47 at passers by, people have No complaints of another person pulling a pistol for two to the head two to the chest and ending the threat. But get all whiney about it when instead of 7.9 grams at 2,300 feet per second turns into 7,900 lbs doing 32mph. Both negligent discharge of a deadly weapon and need identical treatment. Only difference- one ak47 round rarely kills an entire family.

Tonight isn’t just my wedding anniversary, but anniversary of death for 2 cousins and a close friend. All three decorated soldiers, and one were already single parent. That parlayed into 2 more lost via suicide over dead parents. Luckily the dui guy - it was only his third conviction. Five years later he was free on the streets and six years later to the day he paralyzed a ten year old girl. Something happened and he never faced trial that time. He just seems to have disappeared without a trace. Odd. Maybe judge shouldn’t have let him out on bail? Or maybe it’s good she did.

Some say God is too harsh making the wages of sin as death. I think some say a lot about things they haven’t experienced. I’ve no doubt the death & hell I’m worthy of.

I know an alcoholic who loves drinking, he gave up driving. I love driving, I gave up drinking. It’s really not complicated.
My wife lost a brother to a 3x DUI back in the late ‘60s.

That ‘94 Honda got rear ended by a drunk in a motorhome while I was stopped at a light. He and his buddies were coming home from an obvious drunken round of golf. Guy would not produce his license. Registration was in his parents name. I would not back down and he was getting belligerent. Someone apparently called the police as they arrived. They got his license. I was shocked that the guy was just 36 years old as the bald dude looked mid-50s. I demanded police sobriety test him. They said they would, but they thought he would pass. Guess what, police called me the next day to tell me he blew 0.19. POS crushed the backend of my car by 2’.

Fun morning. Installed the Blue Ribbon Oil Cooler kit. It's a v.2 of what Heath used to sell. I purchased this kit through Quadstar.
Observations on the kit:
The new cooler is definitely not as robust as the original Cooler...almost flimsy and cheap;
IMG_8580.JPG

Lines and fittings are smaller: 8-AN vs. 10-AN;
IMG_8571.JPG

What I do like about the 90* block fittings is that the 1 1/6" 'bolt' set up makes tightening them up easier. Plus, they swivel/pivot so you're not tightening the elbow to get it oriented forward BUT, they are taller and stick out further from the block when seated which creates issues when attaching the lines though the pivot action helps there too.
1702320878451.jpeg

The 90* Elbow's height creates clearance between the block's "output" fitting and the exhaust manifold makes for a royal PIA to get the line tightened since it is so close to the manifold. With no room for a full length 15/16" wrench to tighten the line, I used an 8" crescent and whish now I had just cut down the 15/16" reducing the bulk of the head and shortened the length. The return line was much easier but still challenging. The picture was taken after the 4x4 Oil Filter Adapter was reinstalled.
IMG_8576.JPG

Finally, the lines are shorter than the previous kit making for sharper upward bend to the cooler's 45* fittings and the lines are tight.
IMG_8579.JPG
IMG_8578.JPG

In hind sight, I probably would have been just as well off labor and $$ wise if I had simply bought just the cooler from Leroy and sourced new 45* and 90* fittings locally in 10-AN since they all looked like the old 45's. Reposting the picture to save some scrolling for the short memory folks like me.
1702321952208.jpeg

Anyhoo, it's in and doesn't leak, yet, so it's all good.

Last edited:
IMG_1335.jpegIMG_1336.jpegIMG_1337.jpegIMG_1338.jpegIMG_1339.jpegToday I corrected the low idle and periodic stalling on the 2014 4Runner by cleaning the throttle body. It was pretty gunked up and required a number of soakings and scrubbing with a brush.

Also installed LED fog lights, this after installing retrofit LED Low and High beams. My wife had become spoiled with the OEM LED lights on her 2023 and the halogens on her 2014 were no longer bright enough for her old eyes. These are a big improvement. So Merry Xmas!

Found the source of diesel leaking down the valley and out the bell housing weep hole.
Optic Sensor! Go figure. Less than 1000 miles on this IP too.
(Pictures taken after a good cleaning and a short engine run. )
1702495450733.jpeg

It's even in the #$%^&* Optic Sensor Connector. I understand the O ring holding the kit and caboodle together can fail but coming out the connector? I hear it isn't uncommon but, crap! Where does one source just the O ring for the Optic Sensor?

The paper towel was dry before the engine start
1702495442113.jpeg

Stanadyne no longer makes the IP and has run out of spare's. Rebuilder's are sourcing 'like parts' and this O Ring is one of them. I understand the leak is, unfortunately, becoming not-uncommon.

The hell of it is I had an old Optical Sensor on the shelf since 2010 that I might have been able to scavenge the O Ring from. That OS was on an IP that was busted up in shipping from a Flea-Bay seller. Arrived 1 APR...go figure right.
Sourced a new OS through a guy on Diesel Site who had 'Stanadyne' in his handle. I finally tossed it last year cause 'I'll never need it."

DSC02457.JPGDSC02458.JPGDSC02460.JPG

But, God Bless Bill Heath. He had a new OS O Ring in his "one day I'll need one of these" cache of parts. It's in the mail and will be here probably by Saturday or Monday.

Worse case, I could have cannibalized one off my old IP but, having ascertained it was a valve issue and not an IP (after swapping out four rebuilds), I'm holding that one in reserve.

C
Hopefully the connectors are in better shape on the IP in the truck
The current connector is in better shape visually. Unfortunately, the failed seal inside around the wiring is allowing diesel to seep into it. Bill is sending me a complete Optical Sensor Unit. Not just the O ring. I checked on line and one site was listing the OS for $695.00. Quadstar price point was a little less than half at $330.

What about shooting that connector from both sides with electrical contact cleaner, blowing dry, then backfilling the wiring harness with silicone sealer and having that on hand as an emergency backup OS?
Thought about that as a course of action for this one. Where does one find a good, durable, diesel rated silicon? It would have to go inside the IP on the underside where the wires pass through to the connector.

This pump is a rebuild and I still have my last Stanadyne DS4831-5521S IP on the shelf in a state of preservation (opening sealed/plugged). Before realizing that bad valves were the cause of poor running conditions, it had been condemned as the issue. I’m more than certain it is good to go and am prepared to swap it back in if this ”easy” fix doesn’t correct the leaking issue.

Last edited:
Swapped in the new Optical Sensor and was successful in fixing the diesel fuel leak that was coming out around the snap ring and out the connector.
Scored the old encoding sensor on both sides of the clamping plate before removing the T40 clamping screw.
IMG_8590 (Edited).JPG
Gauged the distance to the score from the edge of the encoding sensor with a micrometer / caliper and, as it appeared to the eye, the clamping plate was perfectly centered on the encoding sensor. Scribed lines on the new sensor with the micrometer and reinstalled the encoder.
Put the pump cover and everything back together along with PMD Ground and the return line. Jumped the lift pump for a few minutes to purge the air and it fired right up. Skipped a beat once or twice finalizing the air purge but the motor just continued to pure away. No diesel coming out the retainer ring or connector either so, THAT problem solved.

In order to monitor OS for a while I reinstalled upper intake set up I prefer with the Peninsular 'hat' and elbow from a Cummins. Since the lower intake wasn't tapped for Boost or Air Intake Temp. sensors, I pulled the old Spacer Ring I designed years ago out of its hiding spot and put it back on too. Just the way I want it.
IMG_8593.JPG
IMG_8594.JPG

Yeah, yeah, 'too many 90* bends'.... Whatever.

Back