• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

So when I pulled the manual transmission from the ‘05 Honda Accord, I had the battery disconnected for a week and that reset the ECM. To complete the CA registration (already paid), I need to do complete a CA smog check. Have been unable to do so as the ECM catalyst sensor says not ready. Google search says I need to complete a cycle of 2 minute idle, followed by 2 minutes at steady 55 mph, then coasting (no brake or clutch) to 20 mph, followed by 3 minutes at 55 mph, lather, rinse repeat 5x. It is basically impossible to do this in SoCal traffic. I will need to take the vehicle out to the desert to do this. We’ll bring the guns and do some shooting as I need to sight in the red dot on my Sig Sauer P365 XL. If this fails, it will get registered in Montana.

So when I pulled the manual transmission from the ‘05 Honda Accord, I had the battery disconnected for a week and that reset the ECM. To complete the CA registration (already paid), I need to do complete a CA smog check. Have been unable to do so as the ECM catalyst sensor says not ready. Google search says I need to complete a cycle of 2 minute idle, followed by 2 minutes at steady 55 mph, then coasting (no brake or clutch) to 20 mph, followed by 3 minutes at 55 mph, lather, rinse repeat 5x. It is basically impossible to do this in SoCal traffic. I will need to take the vehicle out to the desert to do this. We’ll bring the guns and do some shooting as I need to sight in the red dot on my Sig Sauer P365 XL. If this fails, it will get registered in Montana.
I'd make plan B, plan A

No dealership can’t force it. Honda and Toyota are the absolute worst for getting everything reset for smog once something went sideways.

We have to smog yearly here- complete nightmare. See people go through it all the time. I almost torched my FJ Cruiser over it last time- as in seriously had the gallon of gas in the back but had an emergency that night. The next day had something occur that won’t be admitted online.
Good luck with that honda.

Weird. My ex-girlfriend had a bought brand new 2010 Honda Odyssey. A couple or three years later she got a recall notice from Honda for her year of Odyssey because there was something with the ECM programming that was causing the transmission's shifting timing to lead to premature transmission failure after 30-40K miles. I took it in to the Honda dealer she bought it from and while I waited, they reflashed her ECM with the new shifting program.

So I thought that perhaps a dealer near him could possibly reflash his ECM to get it to read that sensor.

Well made the trip today to pick up my new truck! got it loaded up and made the 200 mile trip back home, but my truck had some major issues now!

while on the way my rig was warning me i guess, but i kept trucking on.... it started out fish biting under a heavy load but later cleared up heading out there so I carried on the trip... ( blue hooded truck in photos below)

after getting everything loaded up and heading out, I found out real quick I was low on power. Couldn't accelerate very well, getting out on the freeway I was maintaining about 50-60 mph until about a 1/4 way into the trip home she started gradually loosing power. surging combined with some fish biting. each time I felt it, I would let off the pedal till it smoothed out, still able to maintain about 50. About 100 miles into the trip she started getting worse. Couldn't pull any hills loosing speed down to around 40, then back up to speed on the down sloaps and flat ground.

As I neared 40-50 miles from home I heard the tone of the exhaust change and the sound of the engine making a heavy sucking noise as if she couldn't breath. RPM would not go over 2k anymore. issue was I couldn't stop and fix anything plus the times I did pull over to look I couldn't tell what has happening. idled like a rattly kitten.

I really need to get a permanent fuel pressure gauge installed, I'm thinking I ether lost my lift pump, air intrusion, or shes just flat dieing. she now had 299240 miles on her.

I will do some preliminary checks on her in the morning to see if and hoping it's something simple, otherwise I probably just fubared my IP on this trip!

Anyway, below are a couple of pics of the new truck loaded up on the trailer coming home.

IMG_4750.jpg
IMG_4751.jpg

I will get a new piece of clear tubing on there tomorrow along with checking fuel pressure on the LP and go from there. sadly if the LP went south, I'm sure the IP doesn't have much life left if any at all. were about to get a cold snap sometime between tomorrow and Monday getting down to 18 degrees with Monday having some rain too. not looking forward to this...

Have to return the trailer Monday morning. my 1/2 ton dodge might have to pull it if I can't find and fix the issue tomorrow.

Well after fighting with it in the cold today I think I finally found my issue. After watching the fuel pressure go from 8-10 psi with key on straight to 0 on start up, verified the LP was in fact on after starting I proceeded to see if anyone had filters in stock.

No one has the fuel water separator local and ordering it, I can’t get one in till Tuesday, so I picked up two inline ones. I already have one inline filter installed before the lift pump so I replaced it first. Before I started bypassing the other one with the second inline filter I decided to try it. Well I girly full pressure with key on and after starting it I had about 6-8 with the gauge bouncing around. No air in the clear return. So I shook and blew out the old inline filter only to find that it was plugged with what looks like metal fragments and tank lining!!

IMG_4752.jpegIMG_4753.jpeg

Well after fighting with it in the cold today I think I finally found my issue. After watching the fuel pressure go from 8-10 psi with key on straight to 0 on start up, verified the LP was in fact on after starting I proceeded to see if anyone had filters in stock.

No one has the fuel water separator local and ordering it, I can’t get one in till Tuesday, so I picked up two inline ones. I already have one inline filter installed before the lift pump so I replaced it first. Before I started bypassing the other one with the second inline filter I decided to try it. Well I girly full pressure with key on and after starting it I had about 6-8 with the gauge bouncing around. No air in the clear return. So I shook and blew out the old inline filter only to find that it was plugged with what looks like metal fragments and tank lining!!

View attachment 85759View attachment 85760
OH 💩

I have to say after replacing that one filter it has its power back. I was planning to bypass the water separator with another inline filter just to see if it was also an issue since no one has it in stock, but I’m thinking it’s fine.

My main concern is what did I do to the IP towing that load home for about 200 miles!! I figured the combined weight of the trailer and other truck on it was probably at least 10k lbs.

View attachment 85759View attachment 85760
Told ya on a truck this old, ya need to replace the tank and sender and the fuel lines from the sender. Ya just got to bite the bullet and do it, else you’re stranded again, this time in the middle of winter.

Yeah, the tank needs replacing. I did the sender a good while back but not the tank. the inline filter I used this time was one of those clear plastic ones. I'm not fond of them due to the chance of something hitting and cracking it, but on the other side, I can look and see what it collects. the good side of this is it saved the lift pump from chewing on that stuff LOL.

I'd make plan B, plan A
After cleaning up and greasing the pins on the front brakes of my wife’s 2014 4Runner (they would squeak when braking lightly in reverse when brakes were cold), I checked and the Smog Station was open. So I took the Honda in and….it passed. I don’t have to smog it for two years, so the Montana registration will have to wait.

Back