• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

I think as others I watched in the videos they just cracked the injector line to relieve the pressure.
that knob is to close off the line and isolate it from the pump body to do a leak down test iirc. you can close it after pumping it up and leave it for a period of time and see if the gauge goes down

I think as others I watched in the videos they just cracked the injector line to relieve the pressure.
that knob is to close off the line and isolate it from the pump body to do a leak down test iirc. you can close it after pumping it up and leave it for a period of time and see if the gauge goes down
Yup. Thats what I did.
According to the gauge on this tester, all the injectors are holding up to 1950 pounds and popping at 2000.
I did find that the pressure has to be increased fairly gradually. Other wise the pressure would climb quicker than the gauge will register and start popping at a thousand or slightly over PSI.
I have my old injectors that I’ll be toying with and see what I can do with those.
The youngster that I bought the truck from sent over a couple sets of his old injectors, I’ll be playing with those too.
The ones He sent are Lucas.
Dont know if thats the same company that builds the refrigerators that keeps beer at room temperature or warmer. Supplies smoke in wires and also known for vehicle lighting systems that is referred to as the prince of darkness.

Yup. Thats what I did.
According to the gauge on this tester, all the injectors are holding up to 1950 pounds and popping at 2000.
I did find that the pressure has to be increased fairly gradually. Other wise the pressure would climb quicker than the gauge will register and start popping at a thousand or slightly over PSI.
I have my old injectors that I’ll be toying with and see what I can do with those.
The youngster that I bought the truck from sent over a couple sets of his old injectors, I’ll be playing with those too.
The ones He sent are Lucas.
Dont know if thats the same company that builds the refrigerators that keeps beer at room temperature or warmer. Supplies smoke in wires and also known for vehicle lighting systems that is referred to as the prince of darkness.
Lucas Electric jokes, like their products, never get old.
1680380955020.jpeg
  • The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
  • Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
  • The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
  • The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
  • >Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices
  • Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.
  • "I have had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never had any trou..."
  • If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.

Lucas Electric jokes, like their products, never get old.
View attachment 80536
  • The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
  • Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
  • The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
  • The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
  • >Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices
  • Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.
  • "I have had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never had any trou..."
  • If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.
And I thought I had already heard them all. 😹😹😹

On a more serious note, getting ready to install injectors.
To anti seize the threads or to not antiseize the threads, of the injectors.
The book says to just install them and torque to 50 ft. Lbs.
Does not say a thing about lube on the threads.

I wouldn't run it like that
Nope.
As much as I dislike causing discord, I think I’m going to send the whole set back to Leroy. If He will take them back after I had them on a testing device.
Dont know what I’ll do then.
If the marine injectors pop at higher pressures maybe go with a set of those.
If there is a reliable source for them.

Screwing with the BWD injectors I had removed. Took one that had been leaking down and dismantled it. Had to use the impact to get the halves broke free.
Using a needle noze pliers, took hold of the pintle and started rotating it against its seat. Did that for a minute or two. Did not disturb the nozzle.
This injector was leaking down quite bad and when it would pop it was at about 1400 PSI. Started adding shims .005 at a time and the third try had .020 on top of the original two .040 that was in it from the rebuilder.
That set the pop pressure at 2300 PSI and no leak at all until it was right against the pop pressure.
I have two of the brand new Bosch injectors that are leaking down real bad and popping in the 1000 PSI range.
I’m going to try rotating the pintle against its seat without using any kind of a lapping compound, then try and see if it still leaks down. If it still leaks down I will spin the pintle some more then try about a 0.040 shim pack in it and see how it likes that.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nope.
As much as I dislike causing discord, I think I’m going to send the whole set back to Leroy. If He will take them back after I had them on a testing device.
Dont know what I’ll do then.
If the marine injectors pop at higher pressures maybe go with a set of those.
If there is a reliable source for them.
I got a set of high pop injectors from quadstar and I was a little concerned with a bent return line barb as it got me wondering about the attention to detail or lack thereiff when setting up the internals. I sent them to Oregon fuel injection to have tested and they came back with flying colors, all nicely matched at advertised pop pressure with good spray pattern.

Pulled a nice crack free dash from junkyard yesterday. Day before, I got my rear HVAC box all cleaned up and ready to go back in the burb with new hearer core and ac evaporator. Picked AC manifold gauges from harbor freight - on sale.
Will be working on the front HVAC tonight.

Attachments

• Resized_20230401_163854.jpeg
    Resized_20230401_163854.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 3
  • Resized_Resized_20230331_151840.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20230331_151840.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Resized_20230331_153542.jpeg
    Resized_20230331_153542.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 3
Me to.
Monark is another high quality German nozzle company. I was in their website but there are so many nozzles that look the same it would be a real crap shoot if A Person found one that fit.
I wonder if the reason the Monark nozzles all look similar is that they may be using the same picture. The ol’ ‘image is a representation and not the actual product’ one sees so often on web sites. Give them a call, can’t hurt. Save some time and money…the old ‘dime will save your marriage’ sorta thing.
I got a set of high pop injectors from quadstar and I was a little concerned with a bent return line barb as it got me wondering about the attention to detail or lack thereiff when setting up the internals. I sent them to Oregon fuel injection to have tested and they came back with flying colors, all nicely matched at advertised pop pressure with good spray pattern.
Concur. My newest set of standard injectors came from Quadstar, were pop tested and passed as well. I don’t have the numbers as the work is being done out of state. The last set of injectors were good prior to install too (last set of German Bosch units in Bill’s private stash). Unfortunately, the engine issues (fuel system redone thread) got them so coked up with crap after only a combined two hours of running, they’ll need sonic cleaning before they can be reused. That’s later and, FWIW, great attention to which nozzles, pintels etc. go to each body is a must. Don’t mix and match.

Pulled a nice crack free dash from junkyard yesterday. Day before, I got my rear HVAC box all cleaned up and ready to go back in the burb with new hearer core and ac evaporator. Picked AC manifold gauges from harbor freight - on sale.
Rear HVAC was next on the list of things for my 99 Burb but, it was not to be...RIP

Good news on the Q-Star marine grade injectors.
This morning I sent them an inquiry email, asking what pop pressures that they are set at, and, asking if they do leak down before reaching the set pop pressure if they will exchange for another injector(s) until a full good set is achieved.
This set that I have tested is new Bosch from Leroy, I am hoping I can get a refund on this set. I am just not happy with the way they leak before reaching pop pressure.
IIRC, there is two out of the eight that does not leak and then the two in the videos that leaks bad and pops about 1400 PSI and when they do go to about 1800 PSI they are leaking real bad and will not pop at all.
I know that what I have been posting about injectors should be in a thread of its own. I wanted to create a thread but for some reason could not find a create new thread link while searching from My phone.
My computer completely died and so posting a new thread from there is not an option.
If one of the moderators wants to take all the posts and replies and put those in its own thread it would be appreciated, GREATLY.

@MrMarty51
Under heading “Your pulling resources” is “Maintenance & Fuels”. Click that and you will see on the right side in a red box that says “post thread”
I circled it with purple to make it stand out in picture.

Just click it and you’re good.
If a moderator can’t actually move your posts, you can “quote” them and add one at a time, or use copy/paste.

As to those injectors you have- that is a common thing. Chances are 70% of people are driving their truck with them like that and don’t know it. That is the point of being able to test them and make the adjustments to them. Simply disassemble, shim, lap, fixes that. Buying a set and paying extra from day one for the shop to actually test and adjust is advantageous for eliminating the headache PROVIDED you can trust it is being done.

But more affordable is diy, and you know they are correct that way. But it takes patience, especially when learning a new skill.

That’s a unicorn in the junkyards of Southern California as most die of front end wrecks.

Drove the ‘94 Suburban up to Big Bear Lake and back to check on the dock. Clocked 198 miles roundtrip with no issues. Took the front route 330 up. On the steep stretch from the Ranger Station to Running Springs, the temp stayed on the cold side of the 210 tick and would drop back down after I got out of it. Overall, the truck runs pretty damn good. It needs a new set of tires as they are dated 2014 and the side walls are cracking. This was due to it sitting for 3+ years. Looks like there’s about 15K miles left on the tread.

Was up there to move the dock but was unable to do so as it’s still being held by the pole. Top of pole is now in line with the top of the dock. Looks like the water rose about 8” from last Tuesday (first pic). It should clear the top of the pole in a little over a week. I purchased two 1.5” OD x 10’ galvanized pipes, plus two dock augers that attached to the poles and screw down into the lake bed. I set one pole to the east and tied off a dock line to it. Now it will be trapped between the neighbor’s dock and that pole. I’ll keep an eye on the water level as they measure and post it on Mondays. Can’t get down to the bottom of the drive with the truck as it’s not cleared. Upper part is cleared to one lane and the berms are overhead in spots.195B9165-AC84-4641-993B-D064EDC8CA60.jpeg30C5FA50-97ED-4987-9A31-702E00ED56B2.jpegon Mondays.

Back