• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Burb
Rust stripper wheel and then shot some rust treatment on inside of the DS fender; cut out an inner fender bolt that was just spinning: replaced the inner fender; re-attached the front driveshaft; put the front wheels on; got it running (need to give it a little throttle at start up to actually catch...have to do this every time I start it after it sits for a couple of hours...fuel pin hole allowing air in I think) and actually moved the beast around a bit. Need to reinstate the insurance to actually road test it. About %^&* time!

Burb. Insurance reinstated. Time to test drive it. The starting was laborious, Service Engine Soon light illuminated and the test drive disappointing...no power. It doesn't have the acceleration the truck does because of differences in weight, gearing, motor and tune but, it was never unable to get out of it's own way like this morning. Trouble shooting followed and it turned out the Optical Sensor connector had backed out just enough to break contact. So, "Limp Mode." Pushed it back in, inserted the safety tab, unplugged the PCM and did a 're-learn' and the Service Engine Soon light is out. Only issue I'm workin now is my code scanner won't communicate with the vehicle. I'm working through the check list in the manual...more to follow I'm sure.

Sister put a rock through my right rear quarter panel window while using a weed whip. Cost was $225 which is below my insuarance deductible. She covered it and also got me a new windshield for $200, replacing the heavily pitted original which had a developing crack from a rock strike.

Attachments

• 7A601496-DEDD-4586-A521-FFDF8FE2E673.jpeg
    7A601496-DEDD-4586-A521-FFDF8FE2E673.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 6
Sister put a rock through my right rear quarter panel window while using a weed whip. Cost was $225 which is below my insuarance deductible. She covered it and also got me a new windshield for $200, replacing the heavily pitted original which had a developing crack from a rock strike.

That sucks for sure I have been down that road before, I put a rock through the back glass of my Century Truck Cap a few years ago at my parents house while weed eating, there was about 10,000 pieces of glass. Insurance company was trying to make me pay a deductible, I said sorry Charlie there is no deductible on comprehensive coverage, it was not a collision. My Collision coverage has a deductible.

Stupid body shop had done an estimate on it and wrote it up as a collision, I educated the girl at the body shop what a collision was, be danged if the check I got in the mail was less the deductible after all... :mad: I picked up the phone and called my agent, she apologized and made the insurance company send me a check for the full replacement cost.

Silverado Work.
SaturdayPaver placement requires pavers. I had a bunch but, needed more. Loaded the truck with 1.25 tons of gravel to get the area around the shed leveled and then went back for the rest of the pavers.
IMG_0132.JPG
Quick placement to confirm layout.
North side
IMG_0130.JPG

South Side
IMG_0135.JPG

But, as I was cleaning up the gravel spilt on the parking pad I was looking under the truck and noticed something that didn't look right....Left side leaf spring shackle was busted and about to completely fail.
IMG_0131.JPG

Fortunately, this had happened to the right side a few years ago so I bought replacement hangers for both sides.
Off with the old... Not sure why one hole was bolted but the others are riveted and don't like to come out. Lesson learned from the right side go round and drilled out the rivets in a three step process (no, drill slip, bang head and swear) vs. trying to chisel them out, grind the out, pound them out.... This time, drilled a small hole first, then larger hole and then 3/8 to match the actual size. Chisel out the rivet heads and pop the thing off.
IMG_0134.JPG
As you can see, this thing was just waiting for the right moment to bust out completely. I got very lucky with the gravel and paver loads not causing a complete failure. The bolt I pulled out was worn where it made the elongated hole to where it was pretty much fluted all the way around. Replaced it with a new M-12 10.9 grade bolt, nut and washers.

Attached the new hanger.
IMG_0137.JPG

Mud wrestled the leaf spring back in to place and, bing bada boom, finished.
IMG_0138.JPG
As per the norm, easier the second time.

Yeah, the occasional heavy load is when the weak link usually breaks. Nicer when you know how on round two for sure.

Idk, that job looks easier than the paver one. I think you broke it on purpose knowing you had the part and just wanted to brag up the paver work- haha

Had a BFG AT KO separate a belt on the way down from Big Bear Lake. Tire was old and I’ve been wearing them off on the rear. Also got into it with a Prius driver who pissed me off. New Cooper AT3s being order. Though I do have 3 old BFGs to wear off, they just don’t make it through summer heat.

Attachments

• 10826169-DF46-4F59-A896-644D558103FB.jpeg
    10826169-DF46-4F59-A896-644D558103FB.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 3
Back