• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

You wouldn’t need the wire. But draining your radiator would be a pain.
Also, you want to be able to remove the anode and check how fast it is going away.
Putting a “T” into the heater hose port or the temp sensor port of the t stat crossover would be easier.

How long an anode lasts is all over the place. Some rigs need a new one each year, others 5 years. You have to pull it out and learn how long it will last on your set up.

I was wondering about an anode radiator cap that has a grounding lug built onto it, for the plastic tank applications. Dont know if such a critter would work so I sent a message to this outfit to see what their opinion would be on such a critter.

Oh yeah, what I got accomplished today.
Got a Stewart Warner electronic fuel pressure gauge, 82333, 0 to 15 PSI. Got it offa ebay as neither parts store here seemed to be able to find a lower pressure gauge, fuel or otherwise. Guess I should maybe have gone with a boost/vacuum gauge and then be able to tell when the pump has totally failed.
Got the sender unit for the right rear cylinder head installed. If my hands was smaller, i would a not hadda pull the inner fender out. Got the plug removed okay with a 7/16ths square socket, just not quite enough room to get my hand to turn the sender unit.
Going to get the gauges and radiator installed before shoving the inner fender back into its hole. I want to be able to see if there are any leaks.
Also pulled the grill and moved the two oil coolers out of the way. Have a little cleaning to do there.
4E8A1303-4182-47B1-B454-5D076F3000E8.jpeg

94A77174-6D96-436D-8E46-9332D040959A.jpeg

I made a blower tube to clean out all that junk from behind each component. It is a brake line about 20" long with one end crimped over and a small hole drilled near it, at the other end is an air line connector soldered to it and a slight bend to direct the tube when necessary...blowing out all that junk before it clogs up the works.

I made a blower tube to clean out all that junk from behind each component. It is a brake line about 20" long with one end crimped over and a small hole drilled near it, at the other end is an air line connector soldered to it and a slight bend to direct the tube when necessary...blowing out all that junk before it clogs up the works.
I have one of those. I think it is a 5/16ths steel brake/fuel pipe. One end I adapted to fit the rubber nozzled blow gun.

Got the thermostats pulled, they are 195s. I dont really want to go to 180s and it seems that there are no 185s available for this engine, at least by application. Going to try the 190s and see how they do.
No pair of 190 stats in town. I can get one from NAPA and one from carquest, odd brands, I dont think so.
There are no Delco T-Stats available in this town.
If someone happens to have a part number for 185s please let Me know.

Loacal car quest here can get the 190 stats here tomorrow. That counter man just really pissed me off.
He told Me that there is no way that he would take about ten minutes, roundtrip and delivery included, to get the stats to Me first thing in the morning. This person is the reason I stopped doing business with the CQ store here in the first place. That and the CQ heads dropped them so now they free lance through CQ and their prices about doubled.
I stopped in the store after friend Bob came by. Went in and kindly asked him if he could please take ten minutes and drop off the stats. He got real sh*^^% with Me and proclaimed F no, he was not going to disrupt his deliveries to bring me the stats and it would be late in the afternoon before he would bring them to Me. I told him to F off and cancel the order and walked out.
This town is not big. About 7,000 people and the traffic is not heavy. From My house, on the farthest north side of town, to the John Deere dealership is a total of a ten minute drive, at the most. So it was not like he was going to have to buck and fight traffic for over and hour to go out of his way to make the delivery. When I was doing a LOT of business with them they would always deliver to my house and garage, no problem.
I was even going to go back and start doing business with them but, they sure screwed that up. I will call the owner tomorrow and also give him a piece of My mind.

I got the new stats from RA the other day. I was surprised, there was no chinesium markings on them anywhere. The box has some where in Michigan stamped on it. They might be USA made.
There was no marking on them as to the temp degree they are rated at. I got out the scribing device and scribed a 190 on each copper pellet. Put them back in the box and installed the 195s back into the housing.
I’ll go through the pain of draining prestone if I need to change to tje cooler stats.

Oh yeah, I plugged away out there until almost noon. It had begun to warm enough that I shoved the windows shut then fired up the AC.
Came in for a sammich and awaiting for it to cool off some out there.
I did drain the transmission, dropped the pan. The fluid is dark and smells some but there is absolutely no mud in the pan. Installed the filter and pan then measured the drained stinky oil and dumped one gallon back into the transmission. There may have been about a 1/2 a pint more than that that was drained out. Better slightly less than slightly more, in My estimation. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹

You can call 1800-acdelco and talk to them- they could tell if real or knock off. If they will take the time. Depending who the current supervisor is if they will or not.

Changed the oil on the '99. Did not have a filter wrench for the Burb at Montana home, so went caveman style and punched a big screw driver through the filter to get it started off. 228.5K miles.

Back