• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Picked it up from having a new downpipe built. 4" from the S364SXE to the tailpipe. Kid did an awesome job on it, wicked fast too. Now just need the intake elbows welded and ready to run.

Attachments

• received_538189124043146.jpeg
    received_538189124043146.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 13
  • received_529598028220349.jpeg
    received_529598028220349.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 13
  • received_802764930635203.jpeg
    received_802764930635203.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 13
Does the truck have a 6.5 in it ?
HHHHMMMmmmm, boy, I get to thinking it’d be nice to have a good smaller dozer, a loader, a truck and the gear to haul it all around on, then, the other day, could get only 12 hay bales moved to the sisters shed and think, cant even move 54 bales that weigh about 80 pounds each, how could I ever do any work with some equipment ?
Just really sucks to hit next to that 70 year mark.
My mind says I am okay, my physical activities tells me otherwise.😩😹😹😹

Yes it has a 6.5. He didn't haul it very far, maybe 10 miles. He said he thinks the trailer weighs around 5k so all in around 21k. He uses that trailer to go get hay with for his horses. IIRC he hauls about 9-10k of hay with it. He goes to Delta to get it about 300 miles north.

Yes it has a 6.5. He didn't haul it very far, maybe 10 miles. He said he thinks the trailer weighs around 5k so all in around 21k. He uses that trailer to go get hay with for his horses. IIRC he hauls about 9-10k of hay with it. He goes to Delta to get it about 300 miles north.
I used to work for ranchers when I was young. I could throw hay bales all day. Not any more. 😵‍💫😹
My sister has one horse and about five acres of hayable ground. She must have got about 108 bales off of that, she gives DJ 1/2 for haying, why she had 54 bales.
Thats a nice load for that truck. Not too heavy, but, heavy enough to blow the cobs out of it.

This is clearly well over what the truck is rated for. I'm not criticizing. I'm more curious if what its like to pull something so far over a trucks rating.

I feel like I would need to take some extra underwear with me.

Biggest issue is brakes. He had just redone the brakes on the trailer so had pretty good brakes on it. We stopped at a light and he had a state trooper right next to him. Trooper didn't pay any attention to him at all.

I had an idea and needed to try it out. Purchased an Amsoil bypass oil filter and head and put it in line with the turbo feed. Already had a 4AN feed hose, so I just needed one more hose. Two 1/8 NPT to 4AN adapters and it's plumbed. I prefilled the filter with Rotella T5 before starting the engine to test flow. It took a minute, but it seems to be working. Now to find a permanent mounting place.

Attachments

• received_640112503616672.jpeg
    received_640112503616672.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 5
Driver side crossover gasket decided to start seeping this week for some reason. New Victor Reinz gaskets and some RTV and good as new.

Attachments

• received_193267332710228.jpeg
    received_193267332710228.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 8
Driver side crossover gasket decided to start seeping this week for some reason. New Victor Reinz gaskets and some RTV and good as new.
‘Some reason’ where steel meets aluminum is often a clue...electrolysis test lately? This video jumps to coolant flush but if ya do that and it doesn’t solve it- or you want to save the aluminum parts of your system- get an anode.

‘Some reason’ where steel meets aluminum is often a clue...electrolysis test lately? This video jumps to coolant flush but if ya do that and it doesn’t solve it- or you want to save the aluminum parts of your system- get an anode.

I think the shop that did changed the heads reused the old gaskets and they finally gave up. Holding well so far, but I need some kind of anode to help hold the new aluminum radiator together.

Not different anodes. What you need is one anode that will get sacrificed before the aluminum.
The electrolysis is basically electrical charge in the coolant. It finds the weakest metal and eats it, dissolving it into the coolant.

An coolant system anode is weaker than aluminum. So that will get eaten up if there is electrolysis occurring keeping the aluminum unharmed. So all you need is one anywhere in the system. There are different types, some on the radiator cap, some screw into the radiator. With a plastic surge tank the cap style doesn’t work, It has to mount into a grounded component

So putting it into the crossover would be a good choice.
Many hummer owners replace the plastic surge tank with aluminum (i will make one from steel) and mount mine there.

Could you pull the drain plug out of our factory style radiators with the plastic sides and put the anode there with a wire running to the block or battery ground?

Would be nice if you could undo one of the big radiator hoses and just let the anode sit in there if it wouldn’t move around.

Back