• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

If you drop your window just a crack, you can get the same whistling effect from the air leak while accelerating without the cost and labor!🤣
LOLOLOL Now that is funny, along with the whistle I can also get a crackling noise from My hearing aids. LOLOLOL
Got the turbo dismantled, cleaned and scraped components, put them all into a parts basket then submerged them into the five gallon bucket of carb cleaner. left them all in there over night. this morning there was still some hard carbon left on some of the components, easy enough to scrape off. I noticed that the down pipe adaptor with the waste gate in it had some black carbon leakage. Going to sand that flat and also its mating component.
When I had the turbo removed for the tuneup, there was leakage between the turbo and the manifold. I sanded both of the flanges flat and there is absolutely no carbon leakage between those two components now.
Got the Quadstar Tuning oil return adapter plate installed so that much is ready for when it all goes back together.

Had to get the Wicked Wheel turbines center bore reamed slightly to fit the shaft, like it stated in that thread about these things.
Got the center section assembled and the shaft rotates freely without any binding in any spot, just a very very slight bit of drag as is expected.
Got the turbine housings installed and the shaft still rotates free so, things is looking up LOL
I forgot just how bad that five gallon bucket of carb cleaner stinks. I would go in the house and the wifey would tell me about it. LOL Setting there watching TV and pretty soon I could not take it anymore, had to get up, shed all of My clothes, now get that vision out of Your head LOL, take a shower and change into clean units. I hope I am done with that stuff for a very long time again. LOL
Get the turbo installed today then, advance the timing up about one degree. it now sets at about -.50 IIRC, or real close to that.
I guess that most people set them at -1.75, correct Me if that is a wrong number, please. I dont wanna have to do this more than once. LOL

Got the turbo installed nd it seems to function just fine. I now can at least hear the thing make its turbo sounds. LOL
Before I completely installed the turbo, hooked up the exhaust and mounted it down, I sure like that quadstar tuning oil drain back system, can hook the drain back pipe to the turbo then just plug it into the receiver while setting the turbo down. didn't hook the pipes to the intake manifold, fired the engine and run it for a little while, just to be sure thee would be no oil flowing to cause a runaway situation. all is good so finished installing the turbo.
The next step I`m going to perform will be to adjust the IP timing slightly then run it through the relearn process.

Factory spec is -.35 thru -.75 can go as high as -1.94, definetly more rattle the more you advance. You won't notice a ton of difference
Oh crap. it was at -0.53 or so. LOL. I used that home made wrench from a reversible ratcheting box end wrench. Man does that ever work slick. I was able to get on all three bolts without a hitch.
Screen shots from after advancing the IP. I am glad now that I didn't go any farther. I think I`ll leave it now for a while. If I dont like the results I`ll loosen the bolts and I`m sure it will rotate right back to where it was before. LOL
turbo 6.jpgturbo 7.jpg

Just tried to go to the kennedydiesel.com website and got all kinds of warnings about some sight wants my user name and password and something about downloading Microsoft edge, I had to shut down the computer to get out of that.
has anyone else had any problems with that site ?

Drove the ‘99 Suburban from Fullerton to Big Bear Lake home, where I picked up a dishwasher stored in the garage. Then I left for Stevensville, Montana.

My Fullerton departure was delayed 2 hours when the kitchen sink faucet broke. Could not leave my wife with the kitchen sink unusable. Got it done after 4 trips to HD. As a result, I blew through Provo, Utah at 9:00 PM which was too late for a visit with Paveltolz across Utah Lake. I’ll meet up with Paul next time.

1,200 miles over 2 days. No issues with the truck. Hit temps as high as 109 in Baker and 106 in Virgin River. The tires need to be be road forced balanced as I get a shimmy in the steering wheel around 80. I need a new steering column rag joint or u-joint, as I’ve got play in the column which is the last part of front end that has not be replaced. Does Twisted Steel still make and sell his steering column joint?

Nope. Opens fine on my phone.
Just opened fine for me off of my Samsung Galaxy 8+.
Thank You. I dont know what was going on with the KD website. I wanted to look up the main bearing web girdle option when I got in there. I did get on the phone and found the site to be running just great from that device.
I have not tried to get back in there from the flaptop computer again.

For curiosity sakes I just went out and fired the enjun in My truck. There was not one puff of smoke, zilch, zip, nada even a hint of smoke.
This is the first time since I have owned this truck that there has not been smoke out the pipe on a cold startup, even a operating temp fire up last Friday produced no smoke.
I am really liking what the timing advance did for this truck.
I guess when the weather gets colder it may slightly change but for now, its all very good.
I heard there is a feller over here that has a 6.5 engine for sale, everything from the firewall forward including the ECM and wire harnesses. He is wanting 800 bucks for it, but was also told he is very reasonable to deal with and would probably come down on the price.
Now, I am thinking of selling the 1970 JD round fender mower tractor and picking up on this engine, but first, I would try to get permission to remove the pan and check the main webs. If the block is good then, I figure to offer them 500 for it and not going over 600. Then I`d have a block I could slowly work over as time and money permits and do all the nice stuff to it and have it ready for a drop in unit.

For curiosity sakes I just went out and fired the enjun in My truck. There was not one puff of smoke, zilch, zip, nada even a hint of smoke.
This is the first time since I have owned this truck that there has not been smoke out the pipe on a cold startup, even a operating temp fire up last Friday produced no smoke.
I am really liking what the timing advance did for this truck.
I guess when the weather gets colder it may slightly change but for now, its all very good.
I heard there is a feller over here that has a 6.5 engine for sale, everything from the firewall forward including the ECM and wire harnesses. He is wanting 800 bucks for it, but was also told he is very reasonable to deal with and would probably come down on the price.
Now, I am thinking of selling the 1970 JD round fender mower tractor and picking up on this engine, but first, I would try to get permission to remove the pan and check the main webs. If the block is good then, I figure to offer them 500 for it and not going over 600. Then I`d have a block I could slowly work over as time and money permits and do all the nice stuff to it and have it ready for a drop in unit.
Dense winter air is your friend and timing advance makes it roar...

Having the timing right is always going to make it start easier.
If you know you want to stick with the platform, having spare parts is never a bad idea. That would include taking your time and properly building an engine. Then change it out once built on a weekend of your choosing instead of -oh no, something cracked and I need to drive this truck no matter what in 2 days...
And once the rebuilt engine is broken in and everything is good- you can choose to keep the spare running but tired and risky engine, rebuild it so you have a strong safety net, or sell it and recoup some of the cash.

A complete engine with ecm, harness for 500-800 is not bad. What would you pay at junkyard for a used ip if you absolutely had to have one all the sudden?

Having the timing right is always going to make it start easier.
If you know you want to stick with the platform, having spare parts is never a bad idea. That would include taking your time and properly building an engine. Then change it out once built on a weekend of your choosing instead of -oh no, something cracked and I need to drive this truck no matter what in 2 days...
And once the rebuilt engine is broken in and everything is good- you can choose to keep the spare running but tired and risky engine, rebuild it so you have a strong safety net, or sell it and recoup some of the cash.

A complete engine with ecm, harness for 500-800 is not bad. What would you pay at junkyard for a used ip if you absolutely had to have one all the sudden?
YUP

Dense winter air is your friend and timing advance makes it roar...
Both of my 6.5td's would run like raped apes on those cool (35-45°), foggy mornings. Combination of cool, dense air and Mother Nature's water mist injection! And of course, those nice, crisp -15°F mornings when the air was nice and dense they had a little more power than usual, but it was those cool, foggy mornings where it was really noticable for the power increase at WOT getting up the on-ramp first thing in the morning.

Back