• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Starting building new battery cables. Got the engine to frame ones done, need to get the box mounted in the bed to do the frame to battery grounds and the positive cables. Started working on intercooler piping. The driver side is basically done, waiting on a few pieces to do the passenger side. Test fitted the passenger inner fender and it will need to be trimmed for intercooler pipe clearance, probably the same with the driver side.

Now, drop a BBC into a Vega (they make kits to do it, or at least they did) and we'll talk!

Actually I knew of a Chevy Vega down in Bama, it was in the same neighborhood that my cousins lived in, back in the early 80's. If I remember correctly it had a 327 CI in it. When they cranked that car up it appeared to shake the ground, well, seemed like it did, :) had the high lift cam, headers and all the goodies.

I was just a young lad back then, I mentioned my cousins. One had a Black 1973 Dodge Charger with a 400 Magnum engine in it. His brother had a Black 1973 Buick Grand Sport Stage I with the 455 CI in it. Did they ever try to see which one was the fastest, nah, yea right.:smuggrin:

I never saw them line them up in the 1/4 mile, but I rode in the Buick one time when they were playing on the top end, it seemed like the Buick had the Charger covered on top end. Ole Quadrajet 4 barrel carb on that Buick would moan for sure. The Chargers back then ran a Carter 4 barrel I do believe. Just from riding in the Charger, it felt stronger on the bottom end, it had posi traction and it would still spin very easily, side ways if the go pedal was pressed down in a hard manner....😁 I really believe the Charger had been tweaked a little bit power wise, my cousin never would say what modifications had been made to the engine.

I grew up around plenty of Go-Fast stuff back in the 60's and 70's. USAC sprint cars. The baddest motor you could build with four wheels and a roll bar attached!

I grew up around plenty of Go-Fast stuff back in the 60's and 70's. USAC sprint cars. The baddest motor you could build with four wheels and a roll bar attached!

Those cars are wicked fast on dirt, takes some skill to run one around the track.

Back in the day some of us ole country boys use to terrorize the dirt roads in the county, (our county had about the most dirt roads in the whole state) except we didn't have the power or roll over protection those USAC cars have. We were in 1969 Chevy Trucks, cars, 67 Impalas, Oldsmobile's you name it. If we had been driving high horsepower, like the USAC car, well probably half of us would be dead now. Heck if you were pretty good, you could absolutely embarrass some of those V-8 cars with a 4 cylinder car............. :smuggrin:;)

Whoops, sorry if I have derailed this thread off of topic, I do love GMT400 trucks, there..... :)

What we built was originally a '63 Vette 327/375 fuelie before dad and the team 'massaged' it a 'bit'. Welded up the webs, drilled and tapped them and machined new main caps and built a 4 Bolt main SBC a couple of years before GM did. All sorts of goodies and tricks (like drilling valve spring retainers, consulting with Iskedarian to custom grind a solid lifter cam, with Vic Edelbrock Jr. on blending nitro/methanol ratio for optimum power and jetting the then new, state-of-the-art Hilborn fuel injection system for running on the ragged edge of diesel detonation with a 14:1 dynamic compression ratio at 9,000+ RPM). The end result was a 675 HP/610TQ naturally aspirated 327.

Last edited:
What we built was originally a '63 Vette 327/375 fuelie before dad and the team 'massaged' it a 'bit'. Welded up the webs, drilled and tapped them and machined new main caps and built a 4 Bolt main SBC a couple of years before GM did. All sorts of goodies and tricks (like drilling valve spring retainers, consulting with Iskedarian to custom grind a solid lifter cam, with Vic Edelbrock Jr. on blending nitro/methanol ratio for optimum power and jetting the then new, state-of-the-art Hilborn fuel injection system for running on the ragged edge of diesel detonation with a 14:1 dynamic compression ratio at 9,000+ RPM). The end result was a 675 HP/610TQ naturally aspirated 327.

WTF is a fuellie?

WTF is a fuellie?
Fuelie - Fuel Injected Engine. In '63 the Corvette 375HP 327CI engine option ran a Rochester mechanical fuel injection system. We removed the P.O.S. Rochester unit (too complicated and unreliable as hell stock and couldn't flow enough fuel to each runner injector, for starters) and replaced it with a Hilborn unit which flowed both a hell of a lot more fuel and air. The eight venturi unit bolted directly to the intake ports of the heads.

It looked like this, @Big T . https://images.app.goo.gl/9VzN16xmq9oAh6pE7 Except ours didn't have those tall, thin chromed intake runners on top. Dad did the numbers for tuning them to the 6,000-10,000 RPM range the motor would be mainly running in, and the numbers worked out to the inside diameter and height of the old, steel Coke cans. So we ran an eight pack of Coca Cola pop cans with the ends cut out of them (and stripped of their paint) on top of the base.

Technically, those are called velocity stacks. They function the same as the carburator venturi and intake runner as far as optimizing airflow and fuel atomization.

Seen this on fakebook for 300 bucks, along with a Stanadyne black box PMD so I jumped right on it.both in new condition. The IP he said was from SS Diesel Supply.

58AD5916-5128-47C0-8F07-F0033921AE21.png

Nice score!

I dropped my engine in today and did a new heat wrap job to my oil cooler lines where they pass close to the exhaust manifold.

Intercooler pipes are tentatively finished. I still need to roll beads on the ends of the pipes I cut and clamp it all down, but its essentially there. I'm not wild about the 180 degree bend out of the turbo, but it's the best I could do without changing back to a front exit compressor cover.
20200315_130738.jpg
20200313_161628.jpg

Intercooler pipes are tentatively finished. I still need to roll beads on the ends of the pipes I cut and clamp it all down, but its essentially there. I'm not wild about the 180 degree bend out of the turbo, but it's the best I could do without changing back to a front exit compressor cover.
View attachment 59741
View attachment 59742
You couldn't clock the compressor outlet housing from 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock so it was pointing down, and then mandrel bend the angle to match to the outlet and a couple of silicone flex connectors from the IC inlet to the bend and the turbo outlet to the bend? That's the way the ones I've seen have been.

Back