• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Got the IP mounting nuts tightened back up. Found 2 of the nuts loose and one missing while looking for the crank sensor plug the other day. Pulled the lower intake and luckily found the missing nut in the valley. Got it back on the stud with 18" of extensions from behind the IP and a magnet. All three are nice and snug now. Put the lower intake back on with new Mahle gaskets and plenty of Permatex Ultra Black around the intake ports. Threw the Quadstar stubby upper intake on as well.

Moved the power steering cooler behind the core support to help accommodate the intercooler. Got the new Spyder glass headlights from Amazon. I'll be more scientific when trimming them for the intercooler as well.

More progress... transmission cooler lines and thermal bypass installed, 2.5" crossover installed, U joint steering shaft installed, stock battery cables removed, AC delete pulley installed.

Working on the battery box for in the bed. Just need my welder buddy to call me back to get everything burned in. Then I'll work on getting it mounted in the bed, cutting holes, and building new cables.
20200309_173018.jpg

I would say, buy the little $5 adapters now that use top post cables. Use them now with a battery charger to try keeping alive for now. Wire it in for top post and use the adapters until the batteries die. Then going foreword you are dialed in for better ones.

Do use some rubber, like mudflap under the batteries and use good tie downs in there.

I would say, buy the little $5 adapters now that use top post cables. Use them now with a battery charger to try keeping alive for now. Wire it in for top post and use the adapters until the batteries die. Then going foreword you are dialed in for better ones.

Do use some rubber, like mudflap under the batteries and use good tie downs in there.

I have some 3/8" rubber mat I plan on putting under them. It was used as flooring in hockey locker rooms so I think it will hold up fine.

Last edited:
Fixed the garage door with a bunch of screws on the hinges and tightens all the rest of them up. Run the K3500 in and tightened the exhaust manifold flange bolts on the cross over pipe, they was all loose some.
Then, hooked the four weeeler to the MG and give it a yank to the garage. Used the plow to push it in the last 20 foots or so.
Now, bleed the brakes and get them to functioning, clean it up some, flush the fuel system, its been setting for six or eight years, install a battery and see if the little beast`ll fire. Years ago, the ignition system failed, machined down a big block olds distributor, installed four cylinder components into it and now the MG has a HEI GM distributor. LOL
mg2.jpg

You could always retrofit the OEM MG distributor with a Pertronix 50,000 V electronic ignition kit. Did that with an old (1950's) 4-cyl Ford industrial motor that kept frying it's ballast resistor at the most inopportune times. Bye-bye points, condenser, ballast resistor and old coil! Hello electronic pickup module assembly and 50,000 V coil and no more issues!

Have friends who owned old MG's and Triumph cars, and my experience with both of my Triumph motorcycles, good old "Darkness by Lucas" electrical/ignition systems!

Fixed the garage door with a bunch of screws on the hinges and tightens all the rest of them up. Run the K3500 in and tightened the exhaust manifold flange bolts on the cross over pipe, they was all loose some.
Then, hooked the four weeeler to the MG and give it a yank to the garage. Used the plow to push it in the last 20 foots or so.
Now, bleed the brakes and get them to functioning, clean it up some, flush the fuel system, its been setting for six or eight years, install a battery and see if the little beast`ll fire. Years ago, the ignition system failed, machined down a big block olds distributor, installed four cylinder components into it and now the MG has a HEI GM distributor. LOL
View attachment 59682
Love that MG, @MrMarty51, it's Husker Red!

Love those mg’s. First green painted car I ever wanted. That thing is screamin for a sbc with a top loader 4 speed and 9”. Thats why your supposed to get excited for the nla 4 Cylinder parts!

I know somebody who stuffed a built 350 SBC with a Muncie 4-speed behind it into a 1970 Opel GT. On the pavement wasn't the only place it would leave skid marks!

I know somebody who stuffed a built 350 SBC with a Muncie 4-speed behind it into a 1970 Opel GT. On the pavement wasn't the only place it would leave skid marks!

How about a Ford Pinto :smuggrin: with a V-8, narrowed rear end, it sounded pretty wicked, had big tires on the rear and narrow tires on the front. I saw that one on the cruising strip back in the early 80's.

Eh, Ford. No different than stuffing a 302 into a First Gen Mazda Miata, or as a friend of mine did back in '81, dropping a 302 w/C4 into his brand new Mazda pickup truck, then sold the 4 banger and 5 speed manual to my dad and we dropped it into a '53 Studebaker Champion Coupe he/we were resto-modding as a daily driver.

That project turned out really good, the car had already been modded back in the late 50's as a Studelac (Caddy V-8 w/Borg-Warner 4 speed w/OD unit behind it) the fastest car out there in the 50's. Read the James Bond novel, Diamonds Are Forever, CIA agent Felix Lightner (Bond's American counterpart and friend) drove one because nothing could catch it.

Back