• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Acdelco 10154688 HB

Acdelco 12557345 Pully

That would definitely be a good time to do it. I bought them from Rock Auto and used our discount.

Washed the truck and loaded it up for a trip out to the Salt Flats. Heading out in the morning to watch a friend try to set a personal record of 200+ in the Salty Box Ram 2500. The owner of the truck set the record in its class (D/DT) last month...227+. Rain Rain Go Away....IMG_8996 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Washed the truck and loaded it up for a trip out to the Salt Flats. Heading out in the morning to watch a friend try to set a personal record of 200+ in the Salty Box Ram 2500. The owner of the truck set the record in its class (D/DT) last month...227+. Rain Rain Go Away....View attachment 54155

Lot of power and torque to push a box that fast.

Re-timed the IP on the truck while at the Salt Flats. Bill was there with his Tech 2 so during the rain delay Wednesday we knocked out that task. He asked, "Who timed this thing" knowing it was the two of us several years ago (2013 and 30K miles ago when the newly rebuilt motor was first installed). "We must have been drunk." I finally admitted to discovering later I hadn't actually got the nuts fully tightened after we had done the initial timing. Runs much smoother and with a lot less rattle.

As for the Salty Box Ram, on the shake out run Tuesday, the owner hit 228 at the three mile mark and shut it down. Mind you, it took them five miles in August to hit 227! EGT's were sitting at 1100! On the subsequent run, Adam took it to 236 at the five mile to qualify for a record but, rain came that night and kept coming Tuesday night which washed out any back up runs for them and over 20 other vehicles. A VW Truck with a 2.0 TDI went 150 shattering the previous record by 30mph. Team Vesco's Turbonator II, a Lycoming powered four-wheel driven stream liner broke the 500 mph barrier for wheel driven vehicles.
IMG_0378 (3).JPG

So, nobody got in the books but, the sunrise pictures Wednesday morning were epic.
IMG_0322.JPG

Hitched a ride out to the pits to retrieve the Zuma and then rode it back through the water. People pay extra at resorts for salt baths.
IMG_E0373a.jpg

Stopped at the starting line which was damp but not covered with water...Wednesday. Thursday it was underwater as well.
IMG_0377a.jpg

Thursday Morning.
IMG_0388a.jpg

over the last week or so i received the fuel isolator from Leroy. got the VDO gauges in. was hard to find a mechanical 15 psi illuminated fuel gauge that didn't cost an arm so settled on a boost gauge. will put a sticker on it for reference.
made a new gauge panel to hold 3 gauges. need to fill the gauge side with baby oil (lavender) to finish it.
yest replaced the serp belt and low coolant sensor.
few weeks ago replaced brake calipers and flex lines.

pulled and replaced a dead block heater. just pop it out,, puke coolant all over, and slip in right it,,, I said "Slip It Right In!!!" AH DAMN IT WHY WON'T IT JUST SLIP RIGHT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy hell, that was a bit harder than it needed to be. for some reason the oring, would pinch and slip out of the hole in 1 lil area. 30 mins later, I finally found the right tongue sticking out angle to get it in there flat enough to tighten the lil 8mm nut, if I could only reach the damn ratchet and 3 ft of extension that's just out of reach on the ,,, Oh HELL!!

Whew,, just like that, I got it. had bought 1 gal of new coolant, split that into 2 by adding h20 and then it seemed I needed another darn near 2 to fill and top it off. So I strained the 1yr old coolant that did manage to make it in the pan thru a new red shop rag, and filled her up. Burb'd it a couple times, and bleed it off via the screw, then power washed off the mess I made.

nothing like a 15 min job to take 2 hrs.

@Pruittx2 and job done on the side of the road because the block heater blew out, on a Saturday. Lucky we found a dealership in next town doing inventory to get one. Still got hot enough to crack a head.

Found a new block did ya?

Yeah, I wish I had more time to shop around, but this one was available, was guaranteed rebuildable, and was a decent price.

I'm doing all the tricks I know (thank you Robyn) to help it but really relying on the third law of diesel dynamics - "An uncracked block tends to remain uncracked".

I feel pretty good about it but we'll see!

Yeah, I wish I had more time to shop around, but this one was available, was guaranteed rebuildable, and was a decent price.

I'm doing all the tricks I know (thank you Robyn) to help it but really relying on the third law of diesel dynamics - "An uncracked block tends to remain uncracked".

I feel pretty good about it but we'll see!
Should be a good one. Are You going to do a build thread ?
I have a 20 foot utility trailer, the spot where I like to keep it parked is about nine or ten foot wide, between the garage and the fence. The problem is, getting the trailer backed into the spot without tearing up the fence. Neighbors across the street park their cars along their fence so it makes it quite tight to get the trailer jockeyed to align with the gate and the alley way.
Next on the todooo list is going to make up a front receiver hitch for the K3500, then I`ll be able to shove that trailer into position just like driving a car into the alley way. LOL

@MrMarty51 I put front receivers on many of my trucks- amazingly useful. I have wanted one on my hummermany times but the thing would look so wierd on their I haven’t done it yet.

Look into buying a premade one- back in the day Uhaul.com sold them so cheap it was better than building one. I think I paid $60 for my last one. Ask which locations have them in stock then call and negotiate with the store manager. Often the store orders the front instead of rear by mistake and will dump them cheap ..

And you can count on Hink doing a write up! I think he likes writing things up more than using the truck! Haha. I know he has a real job not just his writing skills, but he could do a regular magazine. Have you seen his website?

Should be a good one. Are You going to do a build thread ?
I have a 20 foot utility trailer, the spot where I like to keep it parked is about nine or ten foot wide, between the garage and the fence. The problem is, getting the trailer backed into the spot without tearing up the fence. Neighbors across the street park their cars along their fence so it makes it quite tight to get the trailer jockeyed to align with the gate and the alley way.
Next on the todooo list is going to make up a front receiver hitch for the K3500, then I`ll be able to shove that trailer into position just like driving a car into the alley way. LOL

I'm doing a full write up with as many details on the peripherals that I can (marine injectors, ARP main studs, thermal coated pistons from @Twisted Steel Performance, etc.) on my site 65TurboGarage.com and I want to get some of that info here too. I appreciate all the info and help that I've gotten here over the years so I try to bring some value back.

Back