• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

About 6000 miles on this fluid and filter change.
From the smell and color of the fluid, and the looks of the disk material, I’d say this transmission is getting close to needing a kit. 🤷‍♂️😧😹😹😹
No big buildup, just a kind of an even coating of black material.
IMG_6526.jpeg

About 6000 miles on this fluid and filter change.
From the smell and color of the fluid, and the looks of the disk material, I’d say this transmission is getting close to needing a kit. 🤷‍♂️😧😹😹😹
No big buildup, just a kind of an even coating of black material.
View attachment 81803
How many miles on the transmission overall?

If it is original to the truck, it is next to 270,000.
I have not hauled any real heavy loads with it but I dont know about its previous owners.
It's close to being done. You'll know the pump is going when it has delayed movement in reverse, especially in really cold weather. My '99 was done at 235K miles, but it has done some heavy towing. Are you going to pull and rebuild it yourself?

It's close to being done. You'll know the pump is going when it has delayed movement in reverse, especially in really cold weather. My '99 was done at 235K miles, but it has done some heavy towing. Are you going to pull and rebuild it yourself?
Last winter it seemed to be a little slow to gather movement. I then thought, HHHHHhhhhhmmmm, this could be a sign of the times. 😖😧😢
Most likely will do that, rebuild. Cant afford to let someone else do it for Me.
What I dont have for tools I’ll buy or improvise.
Been a very long time since I rebuilt a transmission. That was a 700R4.
I was looking at kits yesterday evening. Seems a can delve into the next to $5,000.00 range depending on how good and how much for hard parts they want.

Mine looked something similar to that but the fluid was still nice n red. no known issues as of yet and I know the previous owner has done some towing with a 28' travel trailer. about to hit 294k and still seems fine. I would say start adding to your truck fund piggy bank and drive it till it gives up the ghost.

my truck hasn't given me any more issues like it did that one afternoon so far. I think it was just a fluke, it must have locked in at just the right moment while I was coming to a stop and stayed there. that road I was on is also very bumpy too. it's nothing but patches over re-patched pavement. I've had my dodge kick in the anti-lock brakes on that road many times because it's so rough. when you start pressing the brake and hit a pot hole it will go bonkers sometimes lol.

I have yet to see if it will lock in. I was thinking about trying to put one tire on the grass and the other on pavement trying to take off and see if the grass side spinns out. if my understanding of how it works is right, it should lock in and give torque to the other wheel on the pavement.

Mine looked something similar to that but the fluid was still nice n red. no known issues as of yet and I know the previous owner has done some towing with a 28' travel trailer. about to hit 294k and still seems fine. I would say start adding to your truck fund piggy bank and drive it till it gives up the ghost.
Yup. Maybe I should sign up for the bonus AAA towing program. It is 159 miles to the lake and IIRC the standard program is for a hundred miles.
Just in case the transmission would crap out between home and there.
There is a transmission temperature gauge on the pillar post. I dont remember what the hottest I had seen the gauge, 180 kind of sticks in my head. That would have been when the ambient temps was in the 112 to 115 degree range. Nothing that should burn fluid.
Maybe run this fluid change until just before heading to the lake, then drop it and add new fresh fluid again.
Should freshen it up pretty good through that process. 🤷‍♂️😹

you might already have towing on your insurance policy. also might be cheaper than AAA. but then again I had a buddy that had AAA and used it like there was no tomorrow LOL. he would have them tow non working vehicles from his yard to the shop and places by calling in and saying it just quit, where they had been sitting for years HAHA. They'd never question him about it.

By the way, towing these rigs. on the 4l80e's would we need to remove the drive shaft if a normal wrecker towed it from the front end? just curious. I just happen to think about that. it would be nice to know for sure in the event I have to have a tow LOL.

you might already have towing on your insurance policy. also might be cheaper than AAA. but then again I had a buddy that had AAA and used it like there was no tomorrow LOL. he would have them tow non working vehicles from his yard to the shop and places by calling in and saying it just quit, where they had been sitting for years HAHA. They'd never question him about it.

By the way, towing these rigs. on the 4l80e's would we need to remove the drive shaft if a normal wrecker towed it from the front end? just curious. I just happen to think about that. it would be nice to know for sure in the event I have to have a tow LOL.
We used AAA for years. Worked out most years.
The past 3 tow experiences weren't all the great.

One was 28 hours of waiting.

The other we gave up and drove the vehicle as was.
I forget the third

We used AAA for years. Worked out most years.
The past 3 tow experiences weren't all the great.

One was 28 hours of waiting.

The other we gave up and drove the vehicle as was.
I forget the third
it seems I remember you once talking about that. seem to recall a thread here somewhere on that very subject

of course we could all fit a smart car or a beetle bug in the back of the truck HAHA just joking.

I believe that all that is required is to place the transfer case into neutral for the four wheel drive unit.
Two wheel drive then the driveshaft has to be removed. IIRC

So on my rig being a 2 wheel drive unit, I'd have to drop the drive shaft off the rear diff and strap it up if it had to be towed from the front end.

I guess I had better make a small tool kit that permanently stays in the rig for that.

were planning another annual family vacation to the coast in August.

last night while stopping in the drive through getting burgers, I killed the engine to talk over the loud speaker, to my dismay I had to attempt cranking 4 times till it started up. Click, Click, Click, Vroom. it seems the only time it does this is when it's been running a bit. Will be needing a new starter very soon.

Get that powermaster 9052 for the 6.2/6.5.
We had enough guys calling them that the newer ones have the positive post slightly repositioned to a better fit now.

As for flat towing and needing a tie down- dude, its a truck. How you gonna not have tie downs, rope, etc?

Get that powermaster 9052 for the 6.2/6.5.
We had enough guys calling them that the newer ones have the positive post slightly repositioned to a better fit now.

As for flat towing and needing a tie down- dude, its a truck. How you gonna not have tie downs, rope, etc?
I always keep straps and tie downs in the too box, I just didn't know if our rigs were on the list that could burn the trans if towed and the drive shaft was not disconnected.

a powermaster is on the list. Lol I just paid off my credit cards, just in time to hit them again lol.

On the Powermaster starter for anyone wanting to know. I had been looking online at various sites and their current prices. I was looking at Amazon since they listed it under prime and I could actually have it before the end of this weekend to install. Hmm I thought, looking at the warranty options on amazon being I had just gone though returning a $1k computer within a week of purchasing it due to it breaking. They only offer their policy of a 30 day return and then say to go through the manufacture for warranty. Well I ventured off the Powermaster's site looking for 1. could I just purchase direct, and 2. who local to me was a authorized seller. Well they don't sell direct to the public, and I could not find anywhere on their site who their authorized sellers were. There was a link on the page to locate dealers, but it didn't work. I did see a tech support email address so I contacted them asking about this.

to my surprise they responded rather quickly stating that "Amazon" was not an authorized seller for them and that they recommended to make my purchase through Summit Racing!

I was super surprised they responded so quickly and especially since it was late in the day too. the funny thing is Summit was the other site I was looking at and is the same price as Amazon with a local warehouse here in Texas! I didn't ask them for a list of authorized sellers though I think I should have.

Just thought I would share the experience with contacting them directly and how quick they got back with me when I didn't expect a response until maybe Monday or Tuesday sometime.

Back