• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Well krap. just drove home bringing my son home from work tonight and something I have never experienced happened. I had pulled up to a stop sign just one block from the house, when I started to go (turning left) my truck started to seem like the rear tires were skipping as if something was trying to lock up. I went further down the street and began turning into my driveway and the same thing happened again. the best way i can describe it is how a truck with 4x4 is engaged and you attempt to make a sharp turn. Mind you my truck is only a two wheel drive.

I looked underneath and didn't see anything obvious, so I got back in and reversed out of the driveway with the windows down to hear what was happening. when I reversed and began to turn the wheel I heard and felt the rear diff try to lock as if the posi was locking up. a couple of louder clanks and it seemed to free up. took it down the block and made a couple of turns, seemed to have stopped this nonsense.

it's too late and dark to try checking the diff oil. would anyone have any suggestions what might be happening here?

Meanwhile I have the battery charger on the Jetta just in case I need to use it for work in the morning.
Word: Synthetic Limited Slip differential fluid.

No more engine oil leaks.
Got the covers and all the components installed by Saturday later afternoon.
Fired it up on a 1000 RPM idle for about ten minutes or so.
Sunday morning woke fairly early.
Fired up the truck and let it idle for a minute or so.
Kicked in the PTO option switch to the 1300 RPM range.
Let it set at that speed for about 45 minutes, no spots of oil under the engine area. Let it set for about an hour, no spots, under the engine.
Took the truck out for about a ten mile run. The engine runs smoother than it ever has, at least according to My recollections. Those new injectors made a real nice difference.
Oh yeah, the wait to start lamp, it now takes about 1/2 the time for that lamp to extinguish now too, with that new heavy duty GP harness kit.

Next chore for in a day or two, transmission shift shaft seal and the transmission connector bulkhead O-Ring.
Will be mowing today for a while. I’ll see if the local GM dealer has the O-Ring in stock before I dismantle the truck.
I hope that they do.

I will check the oil level this afternoon and stop by for the additive, I don't guess using the additive will hurt anything even if it's not needed according to what they told me. I've never had it try to lock on me like it did since I had the gears replaced several months back. I wonder if I should pop the back cover and do an oil change. the oil that's in it has been in there since the new gears were put in.

I will check the oil level this afternoon and stop by for the additive, I don't guess using the additive will hurt anything even if it's not needed according to what they told me. I've never had it try to lock on me like it did since I had the gears replaced several months back. I wonder if I should pop the back cover and do an oil change. the oil that's in it has been in there since the new gears were put in.
They sell 75w90 synthetic with LSD additives in it.

Well I just checked the oil level. it's very slightly low, the level is about 1/2 the down my first knuckle on my finger. Just low enough the toothpaste tube of additive will fit and top it off. at first sticking my finger in the hole I thought I saw metal, it was a greyish color but when I stuck my finger further inside the oil came out clean with a light golden shade to it. just like it looked going in lol. must have been some muck around the threads.

I suppose I will just go get the additive and top it off and see what happens.

doing a little research on the type of locker it has for RPO code G80. aparently it's called a Gov-Loc and from reading in other online sites, it does have it's fair share of issues. Boy I hope it didn't give up on me! I guess driving it will tell me if it went kaput.

Well this did not solve all of my oil leak problem. Looks like I’m getting some oil leakage from above the VTEC solenoid valve, which points to the valve cover leaking. Ordered a new OEM valve cover gasket and I will redo that.
I think I may be onto the root cause of my oil leak problems on the Honda. Found articles and videos on symptoms for a failed PCV Valve and mine exhibits most of them, including the oil leaks and lowered fueled mileage. I’ve seen my mpg drop from 26 city to 20 city.

They recommend changing the PCV valve every 50K miles and mine is still original. Apparently they can get clogged. Amazon had aftermarket unit by Beck Arnley for $10.80, so it’s ordered and on its way.

Transmission leeeeks is getting taken care of.
I knew the harness connector O-Ring was leeeeking, and I thought the shift shaft seal too. Started dismantling and all is dry around the shift shaft seal, its getting changed regardless, fluid leak coming from higher up. A speed sensor of sorts. Went to the GM dealer. They had none of the O rings in stock. I got a part number for the harness connector but she said the only way to get the speed sensor O ring was to buy the speed sensor. She went through their O ring collection and handed me ones that was close. I went on out to the JD dealership and got a couple more that is close.
The one for the harness was slightly small and slid in way too easy. Went with a size bigger. It was a forced fit, yup, even with dielectric grease. It should not leak now no matter what.
The speed sensor O ring was slightly loose so used the thickest one I had. I think it should hold.
Shift shaft seal. I’m going to order the tool that fits over the shaft and the end is taper threaded and with pressure and screwing it in it grips the seal, then a bolt in the end is tightened down to pull the seal. Another tool in the set for driving in the new seal.
If NAPA cant get in the Balkamp 7769250 seal tool over night then I’ll see if this one auto repair shop mechanic has one and if He will let Me RENT/ borrow it.
I use some of his tools like the OTC Genisys scan tool and his bead blast cabinet but I always drop Him a $10.00 bill every time I do.
Anyhow, thats where it now sets.
New filter kit and fluid setting there waiting. 😹😹😹
IMG_6523.jpeg

I tried using a socket to press in the retainer tabs of the harness to get it shoved into the transmission.
I could not get that to work.
Now what ? HA, hose clamp, it took a couple of tries but a hose clamp does get the job done.

Last edited:
Got some quality help today and changed out the grille, headlights and cornering turn signals.
Old Grille
IMG_7276.JPG

Quality Help AKA Grandson Henry
IMG_7402.JPGIMG_7403.JPG
Cool Turn Corner Turn lights.
IMG_7408.JPG

Done for the day. Still have to do the turn signals. The grille isn't correct and the cut outs are more trapezoid-ish than rectangular.
IMG_7411.JPG

Bow-tie vinyl wrap over aluminum aftermarket. Too Big for the cavity. Will get a bowtie from the salvage yard I was at a couple of weeks ago.
1686075826101.png

Transmission shift shaft seal time.
I borrowed a shift shaft seal removal tool. I knew it was the too short of tool.
I set about going to mill one from a stick of shafting.
Bored the hole for the threaded end then spun the shaft around 180*.
Bored from that end the portion that slides over the shaft. Bored to within an inch or less from the threaded end.
Then set about cutting the taper to the puller end and then cutting threads onto the tapered end.
I’m not efficient on a lathe so I used a hacksaw and then a fike to attempt that maneuver. Not much success in trying that.
The guy I borrowed the tool from, his uncle has a lot more lathe skills than I so when I returned His tool I gave him my home made affair too.
Ordered the tool from flebay. I hope its not too long in the shipping.

IMG_6524.jpeg

Back