• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tread Wright is finally producing the BFG KO knock off!!!

iv posted this a ways back in the thread but i have the guard dogs with kedge grip and they are hands down the best set of tires i have ever bought. they where a good deal i got a set of 285 75 16 shipped to my door for like $600 my brother works at a shop that does mount and balance so that was free. they are wearing nicely and they get excelent traction in the snow, wet roads, mud, sand all of it i havent gotten stuck yet with them but i havent been pusing the envelope either

iv posted this a ways back in the thread but i have the guard dogs with kedge grip and they are hands down the best set of tires i have ever bought. they where a good deal i got a set of 285 75 16 shipped to my door for like $600 my brother works at a shop that does mount and balance so that was free. they are wearing nicely and they get excelent traction in the snow, wet roads, mud, sand all of it i havent gotten stuck yet with them but i havent been pusing the envelope either

Why Kedge Grip vs regular? It would seem like the Kedge Grip would cause the tires to wear faster.

"Microsiping can dramatically improve tire traction in rain and snow. However, microsiped tires may also have increased road noise and tire wear when operated on dry surfaces. ConsumerReports.org recommends against adding more than "the sipes that your tires come with" because of longevity and dry performance."

That's my point. They infuse the tread with walnut shell and glass which is then shed creating voids in the tread that provide greater surface area. IMO the voids mean less rubber and thus quicker to wear. Also, I'm not buying tires to be super grippy on the highway or in turns on pavement. I mean really, they're going on a Suburban not a sports car. Burbs have a tendency to go straight.

I've always gotten the kedge grip, and my tires haven't seemed to wear any quicker because of it. In fact, I think that might be why I still had traction with so little tread after 30k miles or so.

I've always gotten the kedge grip, and my tires haven't seemed to wear any quicker because of it. In fact, I think that might be why I still had traction with so little tread after 30k miles or so.

That stands to reason, I would hope they would last 50K. I can get 60K out of hankook MT's and they arent expensive, if I only get 30K out of treadwrights then its not worth 200 less on the price.

I didn't even get 20k out of the Les Schwab Toyo AT's that I paid over $1,100 for before they hit the wear bars. Have about 15K on my treadwrights and they still look new and almost half the price. Worked out pretty good for me :D

Why Kedge Grip vs regular? It would seem like the Kedge Grip would cause the tires to wear faster.

It does, if you look at the fine print on their site it says it will take some life off the tires. I can't recall how much, maybe 5k or something? If i bought them id prolly not get the kedge grip additives.

as others have staded iv got like 20k on mine and they look really good still and as i said before they handle awsome on dry, wet, mud, snow, ice i would say that half my driving is on gravel roads and with tires in the past they have always chipped out from the rocks but these havent got a single chip in them yet.

Broke down and ordered a set of TreadWright Wardens in 265 R 17 16, E-rated.

Finally had one of my BFG ATs go flat and no one would fix it due to tire wear and proximity of the nail to outside edge of the tire. We were offroading going from Green Valley Lake, CA (7,200') to Lucerne Valley, CA (2,953'), a distance of about 25 miles. We then took Cushenberry Grade back up to Big Bear Lake. Very steep grade that climbs up from 3,000' to 7,000' in about 6 miles. Many hairpin turns and on one there was a car broke down on the inside lane right at the apex. Car ahead of me and we both had to stop hard and go around it. About half a mile later, right rear tire was going flat. I pulled off and changed it, finding an additional nail in the middle of the tread. I'm sure the hard stop caused one to just let go. It's a bummer as there was at least 5,000 miles of tread left.

So, the plan is to mount 2 of the Treadwrights and install them on the front and move the two BFGs from the left side to the rear. Those two never had nails in them and as a result were always inflated properly and have probably 10K miles of tread left. I'll run those down and install the remaining two Treadwrights. I'm just determined to get every last mile out of the damn BFGs.

I'm hoping the Treadwrights give me 30K miles like the BFGs did, then I win that bet. Call me a guinea pig.

Got my TreadWright Warden E-Rated 265 R 75 16s mounted. All 4 were on BFG casings. Other than the visible scuff line on the sidewall where the new tread was vulcanized on the casing, you'd never know the difference from the originals. There's some clearance rubbing when hitting bumps in turns, but that always happened.

Cost was $113 per tire, but the $97 shipping pushed that up to $137.25. Big O Tire installed them and they were selling the same BFG for $224 with no tread wear warranty. Add CA sales tax and you're up to $242 per tire. Now they did have the Cooper AT for $160 to $170 with 60K tread wear warranty, plus tax. Depending on how the TreadWrights wear, I may consider the Coopers next time. I am done with the BFG as the tread
life is horrible before even considering the price.

Pulled 50 tons of material in a 5 ton dump trailer (6-5 ton trips - thru congested town & steep hills both ways - 1.5 hr round trip, 4-5 ton trips thru country and light town) with my Load E Claws this past weekend, and no problems. Pulled the trailer empty 1.5 hrs both ways @ 70 mph and no problems. Been off road, on road, and all sorts of terrain. No problems so far. Not bad for $131/ea mud terrain tires.

Last edited:
Pulled 50 tons of material in a 5 ton dump trailer (6-5 ton trips - thru congested town & steep hills both ways - 1.5 hr round trip, 4-5 ton trips thru country and light town) with my Load E Claws this past weekend, and no problems. Pulled the trailer empty 1.5 hrs both ways @ 70 mph and no problems. Been off road, on road, and all sorts of terrain. No problems so far. Not bad for $131/ea mud terrain tires.
Good endorsement there.

I drove down to San Diego and hauled back the MIL's couch for some repairs. About 150 miles round trip on my TreadWrights on the 5 Fwy and they feel nice. Soon sill take off on a road trip to Williams, OR and back, fly fishing and some offroading along the way. I like them so far.

Steve, keep us posted on your long term results.

Actually ordered a set of these almost a year ago and got nervous about running them on my truck so I cancelled my order.

If I get my truck going again soon I might pull the trigger and order me up a set for real.

Here's what they look like on a freshly polished Alcoa:

attachment.php

Back