• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tread Wright is finally producing the BFG KO knock off!!!

there ya go nick...pull the trigger and still affoard a lift kit....I think I may be getting the 285 mt's from that site this summer

they are just so tempting for the price i mean the wardens are half the price of BFGs last time i priced them in 285/75/16 the where 200+ apiece. but iv also seen what happens to the fenders and things on a rig when they have a blow out

Everyone TreadWright is now a Member of this site and will soon start answering some of your questions. So if you guys have something ask now.

Everyone TreadWright is now a Member of this site and will soon start answering some of your questions. So if you guys have something ask now.

excellent news steve....I hope to place an order with them in the near future....whats their user name?

That's awesome, I've been to their site several times as well and halfway talked myself into buying some. I only wish they had all the tire sizes I need. At last count I could stand to replace 20 tires right now. Wifes truck needs stock tires, her summer tires are worn out too (22s), my dually swampers are getting down there, my other dually has 6 dry rotted little tires, I want to replace with 235/85s. I wish they made that size in the guard dog tread, I'll probably have to go with the mud tire tread instead. I love that guard dog design, I'd put it on everything I own if I could.

I bought a set of the 265's with the revo type tread, load range E and that was maybe 15k miles ago, and I can't complain really yet. I got a pinhole leak on the sidewall of one of the tires, but it wasn't their fault - wasn't in the tread area, but they still worked with me on getting a new tire. Because of that, I went ahead and bought another just in case.

Info

Hello everyone. I thought I would try to answer a few of your questions. Let me know if you have others and I'll do my best to answer them. There has been some talk about if the 285/75R16 is available in a E rated or 10 ply tire. Yes it is, but at the time of writing this it has not been added to the website. (E rated 10 ply is 3,750 lbs @ 80 psi and D rated 8 ply is 3,305 lbs @ 65 psi) They should be appearing on there within the next week. They are available in both the Warden and the Guard Dog.

I do run these tires personally on both my vehicle and my wife's 80 series Land Cruiser that she takes the kids everywhere in. We have been running them on our trucks for the last 7 years and have not had a problem. Originally we ran E rated 265/75R16 Axiom's (now a discontinued tread design replaced by the Warden). A little stiff for a 6,500 lb SUV but we put about 53,000 miles on them before changing them out for some Howlers. Now we have the Guard Dogs on it and I think that is my favorite so far.

Our company used to pull a 20' gooseneck with a 2000 Ford F350 dually diesel 2wd. We would tow loads of tires from SD to CO (about 400 miles each way) about 3 times a month. We ran retreads on all 6, 225/75R16 A/T's. We never had a blowout in all the years we ran it. (This truck just recently threw a rod.)

Our tires are cured in segmented molds much like new tires. They are not pre-cured treads that are glued on and then cured. The uncured rubber is computer built onto the tire and then they are cured in the new CIMA presses. The rubber we use is a full grade truck compound with just over 15% natural rubber which makes it a little more cut and chip resistant.

We also have some larger sizes coming late summer/early fall in the 17" and 16.5" sizes.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I thought I would try to answer a few of your questions. Let me know if you have others and I'll do my best to answer them. There has been some talk about if the 285/75R16 is available in a E rated or 10 ply tire. Yes it is, but at the time of writing this it has not been added to the website. (E rated 10 ply is 3,750 lbs @ 80 psi and D rated 8 ply is 3,305 lbs @ 65 psi) They should be appearing on there within the next week. They are available in both the Warden and the Guard Dog.

I do run these tires personally on both my vehicle and my wife's 80 series Land Cruiser that she takes the kids everywhere in. We have been running them on our trucks for the last 7 years and have not had a problem. Originally we ran E rated 265/75R16 Axiom's (now a discontinued tread design replaced by the Warden). A little stiff for a 6,500 lb SUV but we put about 53,000 miles on them before changing them out for some Howlers. Now we have the Guard Dogs on it and I think that is my favorite so far.

Our company used to pull a 20' gooseneck with a 2000 Ford F350 dually diesel 2wd. We would tow loads of tires from SD to CO (about 400 miles each way) about 3 times a month. We ran retreads on all 6, 225/75R16 A/T's. We never had a blowout in all the years we ran it. (This truck just recently threw a rod.)

Our tires are cured in segmented molds much like new tires. They are not pre-cured treads that are glued on and then cured. The uncured rubber is computer built onto the tire and then they are cured in the new CIMA presses. The rubber we use is a full grade truck compound with just over 15% natural rubber which makes it a little more cut and chip resistant.

We also have some larger sizes coming late summer/early fall in the 17" and 16.5" sizes.

so have you heard about any blowouts from your customers

did you replace it with a chevy?):h

Welcome to the site....and thanks for the info...I'll be buying a set of 285 75 16 e rated gaurd dogs in the near future.....mike

TreadWright, thanks for checking in here. As you've seen, there is alot of interest here in your products and I'm sure you are well aware that there is plenty of concern in the public at large about retreads in general. Describing your process was very helpful info. I believe that right now, the biggest concern is donor carcas quality. If you could give us your thoughts on that part it would sure be helpful.

Once again, Welcome to The Truck Stop!

so have you heard about any blowouts from your customers

The short answer is yes. As was stated previously in this thread, there is not a tire company out there that has not had a tire blow out, new or retreaded. Our adjustment rate (the number of tires we replace due to problems of one kind or another) is about 1%. That is very close to what most new tire manufactures adjustment rates are actually. I have not seen a blow out due to the retreading process though. The most common cause of blow outs is either under inflation (which builds up heat and cause belt failure) or over inflation. Usually the cases of under inflation that we see are a puncture of some kind, nail, bad plug, etc. that causes the tire to slowly lose air, often unknown to the driver. We have sent about four tires in over the last five years to be independently inspected by a third party for cause of failure. To date they have all had secondary injuries, that had nothing to do with being a retread, that caused them to fail. So the truth is that yes they can happen but not very often and not necessarily because of being a retread.

TreadWright, thanks for checking in here. As you've seen, there is alot of interest here in your products and I'm sure you are well aware that there is plenty of concern in the public at large about retreads in general. Describing your process was very helpful info. I believe that right now, the biggest concern is donor carcas quality. If you could give us your thoughts on that part it would sure be helpful.

Once again, Welcome to The Truck Stop!

The used casings we use go through a detailed "grading" process. First off our supplies are given a list with the sizes (there are too many for us to accommodate them all, sorry), brands (only bigger name brands), and inspection requirements to use when pulling a load for us. They are to check for bead tears, sidewall punctures, weathering, and any other obvious blems. Depending on the supplier we will go to their location and grade them ourselves. We often go through 3 tires that are discarded to every one we save. Then once tires reach our facility they are inspected as they come off the truck and then sorted by size and brand before every tire is brought in to the inspection area. Here every tire is electronically inspected by a machine that runs an electric current inside and out of the entire belt and shoulder area. Pin holes, nails, plugs, exposed belts, etc. are detected here and marked for repair or junked as needed. The ones that make it past this inspection are then sent to be individually inspected inside and out again on a spreader. We do try to take every measure possible to ensure all the casings we use are the highest quality available.

Back