• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tire Reviews

Yeah, they should be here shortly. I doubt they will price match, even discount tire didn't really want to price match his price, and they couldn't get them for a couple of days. It's one of those deals where I NEED them NOW because I have to go back out tommorrow.

OK I thought you bought at Discount. Thats where I got mine so they might have been more inclined to match??

OK. Thank you. I checked on a few tires about 2 months ago and they gave me the lame excuse of the price of oil was up so it drove the cost of the tires up. I think when I got my 4 General Grabber HTS tires in 2010, it was $535 for tires and balance out the door. It would be nice if I could find another deal like that again. Tire Pros.

Got the HT3's on and I must say they rode better on the way home with 80PSI in the tires than my MICHELINS EVER did even aired down to 55. The tire that had come apart had a little hop in it since day 1 it was put on. The tire shop said it wasn't the tire but the rim that was out of round, so I have lived with it all this time. With the new tires the hop was gone, and she rides nice now. Gotta air em down to 65 or so to help it ride better, but so far so good.

Looks like I'm going to be looking for a set of those COOPER HT3's myself. Pretty disappointed with my MICHELIN's right now. They were almost 6 years old, but only had 55K miles on them. One almost came apart on me tonight on our way home. Fortunately I felt it start vibrating and slowed down. Ended up nursing it home at 20 MPH, and finally it just went flat coming in the driveway. I know they were getting up there in age, but the tread on them was almost DONE. A far cry from my last 2 sets that made it 120K miles. My uncle had the same luck with his last set, and switched over to BRIDGESTONES.

Was that the Michelin LT M/S 2 tires Ferm? I bought some of those about 3 years ago and have almost 20,000 miles on them. When I bought mine they were not cheap. They are wearing real good, but I start to worry after hearing about your Michelins.

Don't know if the Florida heat would make any difference on yours, I am no tire expert, would a hotter climate matter?

Was that the Michelin LT M/S 2 tires Ferm? I bought some of those about 3 years ago and have almost 20,000 miles on them. When I bought mine they were not cheap. They are wearing real good, but I start to worry after hearing about your Michelins.

Don't know if the Florida heat would make any difference on yours, I am no tire expert, would a hotter climate matter?
I had a set of the older MS's on my BURB. My uncle had a set of the MS2's, and had the same poor tread life as I did. We both used to run nothing but the MS's, and got over 100K miles out of a set, but both of us had poor tread life out of our last sets(Mine were regular MS's, and his were the newer MS2's). He switched over to the MICHELIN X radial on his truck and they are wearing pretty good.

I had a set of BFG AT KO on our '94 Suburban and I got (31x10.50x15) 45-50,000 out of them, if I recall correctly. They're pricey, still, but that was the old compound - maybe 5-6 years back? We switched to Mastercraft after those. We're in the market for a set of 285/70R17 on her '05 Suburban and I'm debating between Mastercraft AXT and the BFG again. If I knew I'd get +50,000 miles out of them, I'd go with the BFG, for sure, but the reviews are all over the map, both here and other places.

SnowDrift, I am running Nitto Tera Grapplers on my 2500 and just rolled 73K miles. Size is 285/70R/17 E rated. Not the most inexpensive tire out there but, it is quiet, great traction and it isn't down to the wear bars yet. I ran BFG's for years on some of my other rigs but the TG's are what I am going to replace what I have with.

I'm in the pro BFG crowd. Why is it they came out with 3 tread patterns that are copied all over the place?

They changed their compound to be a little softer back in 2005ish. So yes they wear out 10% sooner than they used to. But on oily, wet surfaces they grip. They deal with road debris better- ever see that nail video? Off road to do better you have to spend 2-3 times as much. They never get chunks torn out of them.
Dry rotting prevention is unmatched by anyone. Best sidewall puncture resistance.

Ice and snow I cannot speak for, I use inner tubes only for that stuff. I know they have the high snowflake rating thing-

There is one down side- they don't make them in anything bigger than 36" anymore.:oops::(

The guy I talked to at NTB just told me they had a deal going on those. That's actually a good looking tire, Marauderer, and I may consider.

I like several others, as well, but will only buy American, if I have the option. With the BFG and Cooper, I still have that luxury. The Goodyears seem pricey to me, too, even compared to the BFG. Nitto tires are made in the US, I think, but still funds a Japanese company - not too crazy about that.

Mileage sure does matter, but I'm not sure how to compare. It has the Hancook DynaPro tire on it, now. It's a pretty meaty tire, too, though.

It's harder to find the info, but there are 2 factors to look at:
weight of the tire, simply -lighter is better on city driving and heavier is better hiway.

The bigger one is the rolling resistance. This info is harder to get on truck tires, because compared modern tree hugger tires they suck and a few years back it was turning into a mess- so now they don't make it easy access.

If you drive 12,000 miles a year a very good vs very bad LT tire can be $30 a year. $ vs performance is the question- you have to give up traction to improve economy.

On my hummer my Goodyear mt tire weigh 54 lbs. with full tread.
My aluminum rim weighs 27 lbs (Iirc- no more than 30 for sure) so 80-85 lbs.
Same tire on my 2 piece 12 bolt steel with runflat/bead lock weighs 160 with tire on it.

Double the weight= 1/2 mpg less. Not half the total mileage- 11 mpg vs 10.5 mpg. That was combo city and freeway driving, and I like to be first.

My old Goodyear wrangler GSA tires weighed 3 lbs less, better on road traction all around, and got 1 mpg better on the same rim. The rubber was harder but had a lot less rolling resistance. Those tires outlasted by twice as much for street driving, but off-road sidewall damage prone.

Don't know if this helps or muddy a the water - just trying to show the importance of finding -rolling resistance rating.

Back