• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tire Reviews

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
So I thought I'd start a tire review thread. Please don't talk about tires you wish you had, etc. Just what you have, Pros/Cons, etc.

I'll start:

Firestone Transforce A/T 265/75R16 LR E. Good off-road traction, quiet, handle well, good tread pattern, but they are wearing fairly quickly, especially on the rear. I need to rotate them, but are still going to quick. They have 10k on them, and I'm expecting another 30-40k on them.

On a scale with 1 being the worst tire ever (loud, rides like a brick) and 10 being the best (quiet, soft, and great traction), I'd give these a solid 7.5. Not spectacular, but very good for a LR E truck tire.

Next!!

Last edited:
Just switched out my old Goodyear MT/R's for the new BF Goodrich KM2's. I got roughly 56,000 miles on the MT/R's. My assumption for getting that many miles was because of the cold weather and snow in upstate NY. The tires performed great in the snow and ice. Since the tires never got hot or had that friction in the winter is why I think they lasted longer. From a 1-10 scale 10 being your super swamper tire. I would rate this tire a 6 on road noise. Good looking tread. Fairly priced at roughly $240 for the 285 75r16's.

I just ordered a set of the Hankook RF10's in the 265 size. I'll post if/when I get them. They appear to be on national back order....

I currently have MICHELIN LTX/MS 245/75/16's and couldn't be happier. They are a great on road tire that rides smooth(or as smooth as a 10 ply tire can be), and gets good milage. They are very quiet, and have some LONG tread life to em. I had a set on my JEEP before that had 122K on them and a friend of mine got 128K out of a set on his 05 3500 SRW CHEVY. I give them a 9 since the offroad traction on them isn't great, but they aren't meant for it. I also was very happy when I drove in snow and ice for the first time with them. Everybody else was slipping and sliding around and waiting for the plow truck to follow, meanwhile I was in 2WD most of the time and never lost traction.

I had a set of BFGOODRICH AT's on my DAKOTA before though, and I will NEVER buy a set of them again. They hydroplaned if you even looked at a water puddle, not to mention the crappy milage and noise. Switched to the MICHELIN's and picked my 2 MPG back up and got my wet traction back.

I have Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revos(not 2's) in 265/75/16E ...great tire... long wearing (except a few 2wd burnouts took their toll on two of them) they're quiet... great mud traction for an AT tire... and I got 68k out of my last set of 285 revo's...so I would recommend them... and they are readily available...

I believe I have boasted enough about Hankook DynaPro RF10 tires to the point of not being believed. JK go to Sears to have them price match Discounttire . cum , I ordered mine from them when it was a national back order also and they came through in a week. If you don't want to wait.
I just ordered a set of the Hankook RF10's in the 265 size. I'll post if/when I get them. They appear to be on national back order....

I like my Hankooks also, great tires! I've got about 15K on them right now and still looking good.

I believe I have boasted enough about Hankook DynaPro RF10 tires to the point of not being believed. JK go to Sears to have them price match Discounttire . cum , I ordered mine from them when it was a national back order also and they came through in a week. If you don't want to wait.

Funny thing is that the dealer here, Town Fair actually beat Discount Tire by about 15 bucks a tire. When they told me that they were on backorder, I told them to refund my money and call me when they were available. I would even leave a deposit if I had to. They went nuts making phone calls and ended up getting them from Discount themselves.

The stock Firestones sucked for traction but I put 75k on them. I now have 285/75r16 BFG TA KO's with almost 25k on them and I love them, they are wearing well, have little road noise and the traction is great. 1-10 I rate them 8.

I had a set of BFGOODRICH AT's on my DAKOTA before though, and I will NEVER buy a set of them again. They hydroplaned if you even looked at a water puddle, not to mention the crappy milage and noise. Switched to the MICHELIN's and picked my 2 MPG back up and got my wet traction back.

I dont understand that. I love these tires. I have 48k on mine now and they're nearly ready for an upgrade but in snow and ice, they were flawless. I've never once had a problem hydroplaning and I really like those tires.

My next set is gonna be BF AT's in a 295.

BFG AT KO 285/75/16 D range. 2nd set on this truck. 1st set 75k miles and could have done another 10k but winter was coming. This is my 5th set of them on various trucks (all HDs). Great snow traction, low road noise. I'd give 'em an 8. I rotate every 12 to 15k which is key to long life as well as reading the tread wear so you have the right amount of air to get an even pattern and maximum life. Especially on the narrow PYO wheels.
Drawbacks: High rolling resistance will cut your MPGs. If you drive alot of gravel, these aren't for you. They'll wear fast and throw lots of rocks. Sometimes very tough to keep balanced.

Funny thing is that the dealer here, Town Fair actually beat Discount Tire by about 15 bucks a tire. When they told me that they were on backorder, I told them to refund my money and call me when they were available. I would even leave a deposit if I had to. They went nuts making phone calls and ended up getting them from Discount themselves.
Thats even better. You will be raving here about them soon. A scale of 1 to 10 They are 9.0 due to I have not drag raced on them yet. And the tires that I had before were BFG T/A KO's and they were an 8.0.

I have BFG KM2's.

This is my take on them, I would run from them! They work great off road, and were resonably well. But I had one of them seperate and wipe out the entire left side of my bed and left mirror. I was replacing the one that caused all the damage only to find a second tire seperated and ready to inflict more carnage to my baby. I thought the one ws possibly just a fluke. But two tires in 3 or 4 thousand miles with the same problem? I don't think so. I am nervous about the rest of them.

BFG = POS!

I just got new tires this week. For the last 80K I had the michelin LTX M/S 247/75R 16, went with the same size and replaced them with the michelin LTX A/T 2. The tread on the michelins still could have gone another 20K or so, but after 6 years though they were getting dried out.

On this truck I've had 2 sets of Michelin LTX's a set of Dick Cepek FCII's and now Cooper ATR's. I did not like the Michelins for anything except dry road, mileage runs. Any rain, sleet or snow the LTX's slipped and slid like they were bald. I loved the FCII's for everything, I just wasn't ready to pay $214 per tire when I found the Coopers for $147. I've put almost 10,000 miles on the Coopers thru rain, snow and sleet. They aren't as good as the Dicks, but much better than the Michelins.

The Tahoe has 33x12.5x15 Bridgestone Desert Duelers. They were brand-new in 2005 when I bought the rig. They are reasonable grippy, work well in snow, decent in rain and dry, but they are LOUD and have a nasty harmonic on the freeway. LOTS of noise! We're talking "Rmmm Rmmmm RRRRmmmm" all the time at 65 MPH. Ugh. I have worn them for about 35,000 miles now, and they are getting close to the wear bars. I actually hope to be able to afford to ditch them and put on Firestone Destination ATs, which have a very good rating (i.e. at TireRack.com) for noise and comfort. The Tahoe doesn't do a whole lot of off-road detail.

The Suburban is wearing Michelin LTX™ A/T2 tires. These are excellent tires for freeway travel. Quiet, reasonable traction in dry conditions, seem to be wearing really well. HOWEVER, they are horrible in rain, snow and ice! If you can imagine, the 'burb was spinning 180s in the snow last winter. Wow. Unbelievable that that large and heavy a car can't grip snow wearing these tires. It might be the tire size - not a big enough contact patch? I dunno, but they are worthless in any kind of snow or icy conditions. Don't ask me to take the family out in any kind of snow with those tires.

-Rob :)

On this truck I've had 2 sets of Michelin LTX's a set of Dick Cepek FCII's and now Cooper ATR's. I did not like the Michelins for anything except dry road, mileage runs. Any rain, sleet or snow the LTX's slipped and slid like they were bald.

EXACTLY!

-Rob :)

I got 36k out of the stock Bridgestones, switched to LT 265/75 Michelins and didn't like the way they handled on the stock PYO's. The truck had a floaty feel when changing lanes that never went away and the tires were starting to hydroplane when it rained even though they still had well over 1/4" of tread left.

I recently switched back to 245's in a General Grabber HTS and like them so far. They're a highway tread, nice and quiet and have a 40k warranty. We'll see how they hold up.

Well...One week on the Hankooks and all I can say is that I'm pretty impressed by them. Smooth, quiet, and hardly any wheel weights on my wheels. In fact, one rim has no weights on the outside at all. Best part is I don't have to kick 4WD on to get out of an intersection with a little snow in it. Truck handles well also. None of the floatiness.

We've had all kinds of stuff on the trucks.

Transforce A/Ts are definately a good tire. I got 5,000 out of mine with tons of burnouts and very hard driving. (including one 1/8mile 120mph burnout that took half the tread off). On the farm trucks we get about 10,000 or a years worth, with very heavy towing nonstop,

Dueler A/T Revos, very good tire as well, but pricey.

Kelly Safari Trex. Nothing compared to the transforce, have them on the plow truck, look like a better tread for snow, but they are a dissapointment.

Dueler A/T 695s new tire, good price and they worked great for pulling on our tracks. Long wearing and quiet on my buddies truck, but snow performance isnt the best.

BFG A/Ts had these in 2008, got around in 2wd in the snow all the time, awesome on snow and ice. Wet grass though you would get stuck just looking at it. wet road traction wasnt the best either, and muddy situations werent the best either, great for pulling though. the wear factor is good if your truck is perfectly aligned but if its off a bit expect them to only last a few hundred miles.

Back