• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Second Chance

I was going to say, poke in the eye with a sharp stick ;)

We used to have a smilie for that :mad:

But wait, that's not all! Order now and we'll include free of charge a set of Ginsu Knives and a Magic Chopper. But wait, that's STILL not all! Be one of the first 50 callers before this special ends and we'll also include the Bamboo Steamer as our gift to you!

Reactions: NVW
I installed new cam bearings and the cam would not fit. I had a second set as the Chinese block from the previous build already had new bearings. I measured the O.D., I,D and thickness of the spare set. They are all over the place. I was wishing I had left it alone. O.D's were more than .010" different as well as I.D's, That is taking into account for out of round.

I went online to look into reamers and found everything from fancy machine shops to several mentions of using a spare cam and making a reamer out of it. That is what I did and the cam fits fine. I forgot to take pics but will tomorrow.

That is a picture I will definitely want to see. Good job figuring it out and getting it done. What brand were those cam bearings?

They were in order in the box, one can only fit on the chain side, one can only fit on the oil pump drive side. The other 3 are in order, but vary in measurements.

Back in 1980 in college, I was rebuilding a Ford V8 and the cam bearings were numbered, but the measurements were off. I screwed one up following instructions. I don't go by the numbers anymore.

These didn't have numbers

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer. If it still doesn't fit, try reading the instructions!

Here are a couple pics of the cam

Attachments

• IMG_0797.JPG
    IMG_0797.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0798.JPG
    IMG_0798.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 12
A zip disc on an angle grinder, I laid it over at an angle and then made a relief on the leading edge.

I used a ratchet on the bolt, oiled it up and slowly turned it. It only removed a few thou on the high spots. I polished the bearings with super fine steel wool, they looked like new.

That's really cool! Dare I say that it's even groovy? :rolleyes: Nice work and thanks for sharing that...a nice little idea to keep in the back pocket. :D

Reactions: NVW
That is the only spare (no block to go with), it came out of the engine I rebuilt last winter. It wouldn't go into the Chinese block so I used the one this engine is going into. I don't want to force something like a cam.

I have two other engines for spares, one only has 100-120 lbs compression. Thinking the previous owner used ether liberally, another 98 1500 I haven't brought home yet. A buddy of mine used it to hunt coyotes with dogs, it's beat a little:rolleyes:

Back