• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Resurecting New Engine

When I changed my pan I reached up and felt mine. I couldn't see it, but it sure felt like it moved as much as yours, so I want to know if its normal too.

Yeah, its just the chain that feels like it has a lot of slack in it. I am going to get a new timing chain set for it anyway...

I put a melling timing set on my 91 6.2. It wasn't alot tighter than the one that came off it with 260,000 miles. I put a cloyes timing set on my 95 6.5 and it was very snug. I'd go with the cloyes.

The other variable here could be if the engine has been align hone/bored. It will move the cam and crank closer together.

Well, got a call today... Nothing like being more dissapointed..... Both my heads of the new engine have cracks in them....... So im at a stand still, sow i owe these guys for some work on totally junk heads. THe reason im doing this whole swap is to get rid of my current heads due to a rust issue..... Not a good day.....:icon_bs:

Well here are the pics of the cracks, thjere are a ton, the guy thinks the engine has been overheated. Still cost me 80 bucks for them to do the work on junk heads.....

Attachments

• 7-1-2009 001.jpg
    7-1-2009 001.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 7-1-2009 002.jpg
    7-1-2009 002.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 7-1-2009 003.jpg
    7-1-2009 003.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 7-1-2009 004.jpg
    7-1-2009 004.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 41
Well here are the pics of the cracks, thjere are a ton, the guy thinks the engine has been overheated. Still cost me 80 bucks for them to do the work on junk heads.....

When i did a valve job/ resurface of my 96' heads i found cracks very similar to yours. Now when i did those heads i was on a tight budget, and they made a slide in brass insert (looks like a 2" long bushing) that just creates a new wall for the coolant. The kit was specifically designed for the 6.2/6.5 engines. I opted to put one in between each set of valves just in case more cracked as well. Now i have yet to ever hear anyone mention these inserts, or the use of them. But i only had cracks between the valves, not on the seat like yours. Ive got 20k mi and about 4 years of heavy towing after this fix and have yet to have any problems.

Keep up the posting! looks like everything is coming along nicely. Ive enjoyed following what you've done with this truck since you bought it back on "the place". So good luck with everything

Thank you high sierra!!. Money is going to slow me down a little now that i have to buy new heads. This will set me back about 700 bucks..:mad2: But some of the cracks are really bad.. Ratman told me about the "fix", but with the temperature swings up here, i need something that i "know" wont break. Im going to try and get some flush this weekend and flush the rusty system out with the old heads back on. THen dis-assemble again and start taking the bottom end apart. I will update you guys when possible. I am also going to try and install the ignition switch too...

Ok, got the ignition system done in the truck, i am waithing on my battery quick disconnects that i cant find anywhere local. So after this post i am going to order them off the bay. Im not confident enough that i found the problem, so the quick connects will be my backup, in case i need a power shut down.

Here is the kicker: I think i may have found my problem. THe ignition siwtch is held to the column with two screws, and the holes on the igniotion switch make it "adjustable" up and down the column. So, i found the screws to be loose, so the switch moved back and forth. The rod that the key lock cylinder operates pushd forward and back with the console, so what i "think" was happenin was the key was pushing the switch up and down the console, so it temporarily locked in the start position when the ignition switch slid. It was a PITA, like everything else i try and do. But hopefully it will work....

Attachments

• Ignition System 007.jpg
    Ignition System 007.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Ignition System 006.jpg
    Ignition System 006.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Ignition System 005.jpg
    Ignition System 005.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Ignition System 004.jpg
    Ignition System 004.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Ignition System 003.jpg
    Ignition System 003.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Ignition System 002.jpg
    Ignition System 002.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Ignition System 001.jpg
    Ignition System 001.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Ignition System 008.jpg
    Ignition System 008.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 30
I couldnt tell yah, i would have to go look at my gm manuals. THats how i found the ignition switch n stuff. I just ordered two quick disconnect side battery post things off the bay. They will be here in two to four business days, so i guess i have to wait. Turns out i also only have one of the cables i broke when in "bionic" mode to shut the truck down. SO i need to go out and buy the drivers side negative battery cable too...

Its got to be on the brake pedal somewhere. Is this a new truck to you? if yes maybe its just missing?
I have a 93 that should be the same as yours. In 95 they changed. I will get a picture unless some beats me to it.

Back