• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Resurecting New Engine

DieselSlug

Reaction score
Im starting a thread with pics on the refres of my new engine.

Attachments

• 6.5 Diesel Engine on STand 002.jpg
    6.5 Diesel Engine on STand 002.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 216
  • 6.5 Diesel Engine on STand 003.jpg
    6.5 Diesel Engine on STand 003.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 211
  • 6.5 Diesel Engine on STand 004.jpg
    6.5 Diesel Engine on STand 004.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 6.5 Diesel Engine on STand 005.jpg
    6.5 Diesel Engine on STand 005.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 184
  • 6.5 Diesel Engine on STand 006.jpg
    6.5 Diesel Engine on STand 006.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 179
At least the valve covers and injector lines aren't too rusty. You won't believe how long it takes just to clean everything to prep for paint. The engine for my 95 ld was rustier than yours

Attachments

• IMG_0187_7.JPG
    IMG_0187_7.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 276
Good luck with the build.

Im in the process of a similar project for my dually.

Block will be back from the shop soon.
The cleaning and such is one of the hardest jobs.

MGW

Will do. I will post more pics this weekend. Is there any good way to clean up the aluminum stuff on these engines? Should i paint them a silver color? Or just sand them up a little?

Last edited:
At least the valve covers and injector lines aren't too rusty. You won't believe how long it takes just to clean everything to prep for paint. The engine for my 95 ld was rustier than yours

Looks like that thing belongs in a show truck. Great job!! :thumbsup:

Will do. I will post more pics this weekend. Is there any good way to clean up the aluminum stuff on these engines? Should i paint them a silver color? Or just sand them up a little?

For the aluminum, just clean it good and proper and get some buffing coumpound and your drill and go to town. You can make it look like chrome with a little work...and a few beers.:smile5:

For the aluminum stuff, glass beading at low pressure with new beads and clearcoating is the best choice.

Second choice for me has always been Castrol Superclean and a scrub brush.

Last option (and more risky) is oven cleaner (works good but is extremely corrosive). The surfaces of the parts should be neutralized with something low in ph like grape juice, orange juice, etc afterwards to neutralize the high ph caustic, -then rinsed with water and allowed to dry. caution should be used to not get the oven cleaner on any of the machined surfaces.

The aluminum stuff is actually the easy stuff, the steel stuff is what's gonna suck. The rust needs to either be mechanically removed, -or chemically treated with rust mort before primer/paint.

In the end, it's totally worth it though!

What is castrol super clean?? Had a bad experience im in the middle of right now with castrol (tell yah later) but always open to new stuff....

It is a engine degreaser and it works pretty good. Just do A google search and you will find it. Here is a picture,

Attachments

• csc.jpg
    csc.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 405
I wire wheeled all the parts and painted the aluminum with aluminum paint. It holds up pretty good. I painted all the aluminum parts on my 91 6.2 and they still look good after 50,000 miles. 3 coats on everything. Spray can paint is pretty weak.

I cleaned my aluminum brake manifold (the part under the resevoir) with that Castrol cleaner and it did come out brand new looking.

I love the look of those painted injector lines. 95bk that is awesome looking engine. Must be a joy to fire it i up for the first time and smell that paint bake in.

Looks like your having fun!
I get mine back from the machine shop next week, can't wait.

Well continued on the engine today. I have a ton of pics to help myself remember how this thing goes back together. So far nothing unusual, the intake is very clean on the inside. I have the alternator and tensioner bracket off, the a/c compressor is off, almost all of the wiring harness (except what is hooked to the ip), and the upper and lower intake. I will post more pics tomorrow or monday. Looked at the block number and it is a 599 block. SO far so good!!! Had to edit the stand today. the engine started saggin badly. Had to re jack, and insert a few pieces of plywood.

Here are some more pics of where i got to sunday night. Should be doing a little more memorial day...

Attachments

• Engine Break Down 2 106.jpg
    Engine Break Down 2 106.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Engine Break Down 2 105.jpg
    Engine Break Down 2 105.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Engine Break Down 2 104.jpg
    Engine Break Down 2 104.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Engine Break Down 2 103.jpg
    Engine Break Down 2 103.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Engine Break Down 2 102.jpg
    Engine Break Down 2 102.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 101
It doesn't look like you're soaking the glow plugs with your large quantity of pb blaster. I soak every bolt I can before I start. Especially the exhaust manifold bolts where they go through the manifold.

Back