• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Resurecting New Engine

HEHE, yeah, pb, im all out right now, used up the last bit on the turbo flange. thats why the gp's, and manifolds are still on there. I am going to buy some more tomorrow.

I thought you bought several gallons before you started? LOL Or are you soaking the engine thats in the truck yet?

I use it on everything, carry it in the truck all the time. I bought 2 gallons and am through it already. I also use it to soak stuff in, so thats where most of it goes.....Not soaking that engine yet, still driving it, leaking gallons of oil, im firing up the torch for that one.....

Ok, peeled of the outer timing cover and i see 1 and a 1/2 gears. I have them alighned so the dots are right next to each other on the bottom of the top gear and the top of the middle gear. Is the timing that hard to keep if you take the gears off? Does the third gear or bottom gear have a small circle or dimple scribed in it too? I cant see that gear due to the second half of the timing cover still on the engine. You have to take the first gear or top gear off to get to the timing cover bolts behind it. Im planning on drawing a line down them and marking top and bottom of each gear and if it is the top, middle, or bottom gear.

OK, last question of the day, what color should i paint it?? I want it to be bright so i can find and diagnose leaks, im tired of my truck leaking all the time and not knowing where it is due to dark paint. I was thinking ratman yellow, chevy orange, or red, but the gf doesnt like red.... Let me know what you think......

If I was to choose between those three colours, I'd go red... but if the girlfriend has a say in it :lol: My next choice would be Ratman Yellow with either black or aluminum paint.

Unless she already has a ring, the engine will probably outlast the GF. If you want red, make it red. Just don't go pink. LOL. :)

It shouldn't leak if you do it right. Detroit diesel green would be light enough to see leaks. I went with mostly black so I don't see the leaks. A dye kit and black light would make the leaks easy to see[on my wish list]

Yeah, im waffling between universal red, and cat yellow. The truck means a lot to the gf. It was her grandfathers, high sentimental value. Ive been with her since middle school (i was 13, and im 21 now) She is nice, smart, not a girly girl, but not a tom boy either. Right in the middle...... Yeah i know it shouldnt leak, but im goingt o have the truck for many more years. I want the engine to stay clean for a while at least..... I will look up the detroit green.....

Well, havent gone too far as of the last post. I have been blasting the engine with pb blaster every time i walk by it, the next thing is going to be the oil cooler lines and exhaust manifolds. I will get to work on it more this weekend and maybe some this week. Got my oil pan and dual t-stat cross-over from chevyinlinesix, so i will archive those.... I will keep you posted, should be getting some extra money this week that can go into new parts, first things i need to buy are oil pump and pickup, headbolts, yellow paint, and a pan gasket....

Dieselslug its good to see the new engine in progress. How far down are you planning on going into it? Bare block, exposed cylinders? ect. ect.

I want to start looking around for my buildup engine real bad now... Just gotta get that new job and have the money flowing in...

Im going to take the heads off and redo the headgaskets, but the bottom end is going to stay together since it only has 90k on it, i am going to take the oil pan off and check it out just so i can sleep well at night, but the bottom end will stay intact,, just bought an oil pump an dpickup for it yesturday...

Ok, gonna start back into her tonight. Finally got my 351w the other day, still in the bed of the truck, so all i have to do is take her out and set her on the tractor trailer tire that the 6.5 came with. TOnight i think im going to start taking the exhaust manifolds off. IM going to have my father order a can of cat yellow from eastwood. I will take some pics tonight and try to post them if not i can tomorrow morning.... I also had some extra cash to buy some parts, but a whole front clip came my way for 300 with very little rust, so i had to jump on it seeing as mine is almost ready to fall off.....

Well, got into her pretty good tonight. Took the exhaust manifolds, injector lines, oil cooler lines, a few little things, and one of the valve covers. She looked very clean under the valve cover, however was kinda dry from sitting for 2 years. My father has gotten a point into me that since i am taking the heads off i should get a valve job done. I am thinking about doing it now, but i really dont want to mill the heads (dont want to throw everything else off.. What is the procedure for torquing the rocker arms down? Is it just a torque to a spec? I see there are two bolts for four rockers. I will get the pics on as soon as i can, i am on the home dial up computer and pic loading is damn near impossible. Everything came off easily tonight after letting them soak in penetrant. Yeah, rolling along, more like crawling:mad2:, damn money...... Trying to get a hold of that front clip this weekend to ensure a good bolt back together without missing body parts....

I just installed one head, push rods and rockers tonight. According to shop manual rotate the crank 3.5" past 0 degrees on the HB. Then just alternate and torque bolts to 40#s. Start at 20 then 30 then 40#s

Why do you have to crank it to 3.5'' past zero degrees? What is that supposed to accomplish? I havent looked closely at the h/b yet, does it have an indicating mark at 0 degrees?

Shop manual says, in that position all the pistons are at a safe position and won't be hit by valves as you tighten up the rockers. I just eyeballed mine. I grabed my HB to see where the mark on it is and then turned the crank.

Back