• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuild for a performance oriented 6.5

There was this Russian heavyweight lifter in the '70's that, for the time, did some incredible weights in the clean and jerk.

I knew I made to quick of progress on everything this weekend. I completely forgot about the damn lifters.... Good thing I am on this forum with all you detail oriented people!

Nate gave me an idea on checking lift on the 1.6 rockers too. I think what I'll do is calculate the added lift the rockers would give me and then add a spacer to the valvetrain to simulate the added lift. I may use feeler gauges and then just keep adding lift with them until I have piston contact. That should give me a good idea of how much clearance I will or will not have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew I made to quick of progress on everything this weekend. I completely forgot about the damn lifters.... Good thing I am on this forum with all you detail oriented people!

Nate gave me an idea on checking lift on the 1.6 rockers too. I think what I'll do is calculate the added lift the rockers would give me and then add a spacer to the valvetrain to simulate the added lift. I may use feeler gauges and then just keep adding lift with them until I have piston contact. That should give me a good idea of how much clearance I will or will not have.

Part of me likes that idea, especially if you used some lighter weight springs so it was easy to push the valve down to cause piston contact. But then the other part of me worries about the possibility of missing the point of closest contact. There's a really good chance that the point of the valves being the closest to the piston isn't at TDC, but actually some other point. But what is that point? So then you'd have to go through all of the piston positions at either side of TDC to find the point that it's closest and then check the clearance at each of those points. It's doable, but may be more time consuming than just using the clay method.

If you find that you won't have clearance for the 1.6 rockers do you know what you're going to do? Harland Sharp can make the rockers in a 1.5 ratio, will you just do that?

What head gaskets currently, are they +.010 ? I really believe in lift X duration and wouldn't want to give up the 1.6 since you already dropped the cash... No never mind. You should just sell them to me at a deep discount and go to the 1.5... Haha.;)

Leroy, it never ceases to amaze me the things you find that disturb me. At least this one is fake not like the skin bug things.:wtf:

What head gaskets currently, are they +.010 ? I really believe in lift X duration and wouldn't want to give up the 1.6 since you already dropped the cash... No never mind. You should just sell them to me at a deep discount and go to the 1.5... Haha.;)

Leroy, it never ceases to amaze me the things you find that disturb me. At least this one is fake not like the skin bug things.:wtf:
I am running stock thickness gaskets. I have started to consider thicker gaskets since I've been thinking about going with a bigger pump, but I'm still undecided. Will probably end up sticking with stock thickness though.

If I could get away with it, I wouldn't mind even trying the 1.7 rockers they sell. But we'll see how much clearance I actually have to play with.

Part of me likes that idea, especially if you used some lighter weight springs so it was easy to push the valve down to cause piston contact. But then the other part of me worries about the possibility of missing the point of closest contact. There's a really good chance that the point of the valves being the closest to the piston isn't at TDC, but actually some other point. But what is that point? So then you'd have to go through all of the piston positions at either side of TDC to find the point that it's closest and then check the clearance at each of those points. It's doable, but may be more time consuming than just using the clay method.

If you find that you won't have clearance for the 1.6 rockers do you know what you're going to do? Harland Sharp can make the rockers in a 1.5 ratio, will you just do that?

I figure I will put the feeler gauges between the rocker arm and valve and run the piston past tdc in both directions to make sure it clears.

If the 1.6 end up not clearing, they may force me to try thicker gaskets and see if that works. Or I would reluctantly either stick the stock rockers back on or go with the Harland Sharp 1.5 roller rockers. I'm really hoping I don't have to go with less lift though.

On a side note to this build, I found out today that I have been hauling heavier than I thought with my current truck/engine. I was told that the gooseneck stock trailer that I use to haul livestock was only around 3500lbs. I never questioned it because of how easy it pulls. It's a steel, 20' floor 14,000lb gvw stock trailer. So I guess I should have known it would probably be heavier than that.

But anyway, today I hauled two of my cattle about 75 miles north to a butcher who was buying them to butcher and sell the meat. I took them, along with two others, to my dads farm to weigh them on his scales over the weekend. Total weight of all of them was just a hair over 5000lbs. So I figured total trailer weight was around 8500 lbs. Generally this is the minimum amount I haul when I take them to sell as fats about 45 min south of me. Has always pulled great, always impresses me pulling up the hills that I see so many others struggle on. These are the hills I compare my truck to my dad's duramax, where I say my truck pulls just as well as his does climbing the hills. But back to the original point.

I took two of the four north today. They weighed in at 1520lbs and 1370lbs based on my dad's scale. Since the buyer wasn't there when I weighed them and I've never dealt with him before, I agreed to weigh them again at a local hardware store that sold gravel and had a scale there. So I took the truck, trailer and cattle there to weigh it. Since my truck and trailer were too long for his scale, I pulled the gooseneck only onto the scale and then unhooked it to get the trailer only weight. It came it at 8510 lbs. Seemed high to me considering the cattle should only weigh roughly 2900lbs.... So to end this long story, I took the cattle back to the butcher shop, unloaded and re weighed the trailer. Sure enough, his scale came it at a total cattle weight of roughly the same weight as what I came up with (his showed 2820lbs, 70 lb difference). So that puts the trailer weight at almost 5700lbs! So all this time I've been thinking I'm hauling 8000-12,000 lbs, I'm hauling 10,000-14,000 lbs. I was impressed thinking I was pulling the lighter weights. Now knowing I've been pulling over 2000lbs more every load makes me that much more pleased with how well this thing runs. I can't wait to get this new engine built so I won't be afraid to lay into it a little more on those hills and push it a little harder to see what it can really do. I'm really surprised that at 251,000 miles that the only real issues I have had so far is a broken valve spring and a leaky turbo drain tube.

Back