• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuild for a performance oriented 6.5

I found two other places that supposedly have them, but the one tried charging me $30 to ship two keys.... So I ordered from the other place. We'll see if they actually had them in stock and how soon I will get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I couldn't get it from hotrod shops (easiest) then I search bearing and drive shops.

10 days was about the longest you used to see.

$30? Holy moly! What, were they going to ship them same day air?
That's what I said. They emailed me back after I called them out on it and he told me to call them and they could work with me on the shipping. But by that time I had already ordered from the other place.

Which leads me to the next part of this wonderful experience....

Got an email today saying the other place was cancelling my order bc they cannot get the keys anymore. Dammit.

So I gave in and just called my machine shop to see if he could make one. Before I could ask if he can make them, he said he might have one laying around. Of course, he didn't. But he did say he could probably get one. After telling him that I've been trying to find one with no luck, I mentioned to him about just making one. He said he could, and that he's done it before, but he wanted to call and see if he could get one first. An hour later, I have a voicemail from him saying that he could get one and that he went ahead and ordered it. He said it wouldn't be there today but.......it would be there Monday. All this time and I could have just talked to him and had one within a couple days. And it's right at $20, which is about the same or less than any place I tried ordering from once shipping was added.

So fingers crossed that he does actually get it Monday and that it fits and I can finally be done setting the cam up. Then we'll pray there are no clearance issues....

So I FINALLY got my offset key installed. 111.5 degrees is what I ended up with after installing it. So I think (I hope) I am finally set and can start checking clearances. I am going to recheck tdc and then recheck the icl just to make sure. But I checked the icl at .050" on either side of peak lift and then at .1" and I came within .25 degrees of each other. So regardless, if I did the measurements right, it should be within spec.

Rechecked tdc, was maybe 1/4 degree off (maybe), so I re adjusted just to make sure. Now it was pretty much as close as it can be with the naked eye. I pulled the dial indicator off and then remounted it just to make sure everything would come out the same with a completely new setup. Set it to zero at max lift, checked at .050" before and after max lift and then at .1" before and after. Even better! I came in at roughly 1/8 degree difference. And it was still right in the 111.5 degree mark. So I am feeling confident I am set right where I need to be.

Rechecked tdc, was maybe 1/4 degree off (maybe), so I re adjusted just to make sure. Now it was pretty much as close as it can be with the naked eye. I pulled the dial indicator off and then remounted it just to make sure everything would come out the same with a completely new setup. Set it to zero at max lift, checked at .050" before and after max lift and then at .1" before and after. Even better! I came in at roughly 1/8 degree difference. And it was still right in the 111.5 degree mark. So I am feeling confident I am set right where I need to be.

Excellent. I can't wait to hear how your clearances work out.

Installed a head, torqued to 100lb-ft, installed stock pushrods and rocker arms. Torqued the rocker arms down and turned the engine over about a hundred time. No clearance issues turning it over by hand. The real test will be when I check the 1.6 roller rockers. The only problem is that they are on my currently running and driving truck that I use almost every day...

Installed a head, torqued to 100lb-ft, installed stock pushrods and rocker arms. Torqued the rocker arms down and turned the engine over about a hundred time. No clearance issues turning it over by hand. The real test will be when I check the 1.6 roller rockers. The only problem is that they are on my currently running and driving truck that I use almost every day...

Did you put clay on the piston to see how much clearance you have? I suppose you could theoretically calculate how much your clearance decreased with 1.6 rockers, though I personally would feel more comfortable actually installing and checking.

As I recall, those Russians were pretty solid lifters at the Olympics back in the 70's and 80's!

Back