• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuild for a performance oriented 6.5

Wow...

Assuming this gets assembled... I've been following the thread a WHILE...

How long to INSTALL the motor?

At this rate it will probably never be put in the truck. Jegs stated that the key I am waiting on would be shipped out over a week ago. It never shipped. I called Monday and they just emailed me back today. Of course, the key is on back order and the new expected shipping date is May 5th. So I am canceling the order and going to good old EBay.... Maybe next week I can start working on it again lol

Yeah, getting them is always hard. That's why I was suggesting ordering an assortment ahead of time before knowing which exact one(s) you need. Sometimes you have to use offsets on cam and crank to get it where you want it. Then just return the extras for credit if you have to.

Usually once you show friends you can do it and adjust the power band, they are buying your extras to do theirs. And unless you are running the exact cam, vehicle weight and same use- the degree amount is different. Say you want yours for low end grunt, but for quick acceleration when the truck is empty- but someone else runs the same cam as you but wants the grunt for towing- they will run a little less cam advance than you.

Have you checked summitracing?

Yes, summit is showing sometime in June.

However, it's come to my attention that all of the keys I have looked at all show that they do not fit a 6.5. I am wondering if that is simply bc it's not common so they don't have it listed as a compatible engine, or if it really takes one that no one has? I only measured the length when I had the chance and it measures 3/4". The "short" GM/Chrylser keys are listed as 3/4", so I just assumed they would work. Considering no one I have found that sells the short keys actually has them in stock, I want to make sure I am ordering the right key so I don't postpone the build any longer than necessary. Anyone know off hand if the short 3/4" Chevy key will work on a 6.5? Or might I be s.o.l. on this and have to find someone who can make me one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could go to NAPA and have them look up a stock key for you for whatever engine the offset key is specified for and compare it to the stock cam and crank keys for the 6.5, if it matches one then you'll know the offset key will then work too - likewise if it doesn't match then you'll know you're barking up the wrong tree and it's custom piece time. I agree with Leo though, I bet it's a common piece.

Reactions: NVW
I would assume that also. Considering Chevy used a ton of parts that will work on virtually any gas v8 of their's, especially small block to small block and big block to big block, I would assume a 6.5 is no different. The only thing I have noticed in looking for a key is that there were two different types of keys they've used over the years: a short one and a long one. So I would guess if the length matches then so should the other measurements.

I didn't think about going to a parts store and comparing. I have a couple cranks sitting around, maybe I'll pull a key out of one and run to the parts store and compare. [emoji1303]

Someday, just maybe, I'll have this thing together.... Hopefully it will run when it's all said and done lol

I would assume that also. Considering Chevy used a ton of parts that will work on virtually any gas v8 of their's, especially small block to small block and big block to big block, I would assume a 6.5 is no different. The only thing I have noticed in looking for a key is that there were two different types of keys they've used over the years: a short one and a long one. So I would guess if the length matches then so should the other measurements.

I didn't think about going to a parts store and comparing. I have a couple cranks sitting around, maybe I'll pull a key out of one and run to the parts store and compare. [emoji1303]

Someday, just maybe, I'll have this thing together.... Hopefully it will run when it's all said and done lol

I can't to see when it's running, I'm sure it will be awesome. It's a good thing you were able to get the existing engine running right again.

Short or long? Meh...

Make sure the width and height is correct, then use a thinwheel and cut to length. Most of the key I always use is from keystock. Usually 12" length. Cut it to length and dress the edges with a file.
Bearing supply companies usually stock it. Just mic the keyway

Will that would by fine for a stock key he's looking for an offset key. He'd have to buy a wider one and file/grind the offset in it.

Back