• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project "Got Milk" - Yamaha Cart

Got the primary rollers replaced and greased. Also got the crappy eBay carb cleaned and back on. Mix screw set to 2 revolutions out from bottom.

Gonna guess dirt ingestion was the demise of this engine previously. The intake was just horrid.
20220129_142010.jpg20220129_142014.jpg20220129_142225.jpg20220129_143340.jpg20220129_144849.jpg20220129_150111.jpg

Attachments

• 20220129_143340.jpg
    20220129_143340.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 0
A good air filter, properly maintained, is worth it's weight in gold on engines used under those kind of off-road situation - be it golf cart or ATV.
To be honest with the roads at camp being dirt and dusty in the summer the stock intake systems under the cart worry me. My plan is to eventually do some type of custom canister filters and route the fresh air like a snorkle up above the body. Main worry is sound. I really don't want to hear it sucking air all the time but the dust beneath the cart kills filters fast.

With a large diameter "ram" type snorkle, intake air velocity should be low enough at head level that you shouldn't hear anything. Especially if the mouth of the snorkle is above the canopy/head height and behind you. Heck, with one of those you could go fording through the golf course's water hazards looking for your lost golf ball! Just like @Will L. going fording with his Hummer!

With a large diameter "ram" type snorkle, intake air velocity should be low enough at head level that you shouldn't hear anything. Especially if the mouth of the snorkle is above the canopy/head height and behind you. Heck, with one of those you could go fording through the golf course's water hazards looking for your lost golf ball! Just like @Will L. going fording with his Hummer!
I hope so because I want to do it on all 3 of the family carts. We will definitely do a test run with one of them this summer and likely convert all. Was also worried that large intake tubes may hurt the velocity on these small engines (well the 2 stroke and my 301cc, not worried about the 670 v twin).

Large intake mouth and smaller than the mouth snorkle tube. Look at snorkels for Jeeps and Toyotas. Gives you a ram air effect while driving, especially if the intake mouth is up above in "clean" airflow. Wouldn't matter at idle/off idle. At 20 mph it would definitely be cramming air down the snorkle, who needs a turbo!

It can hurt performance a little, depending how long it is. But it you do one that is foreword facing, there will be a tiny lag from a stop but foreword air speed negates it quickly.

CBE763FF-C231-49A6-97EB-1532A92D6A7C.jpeg

The water isn’t really what I am as thinking. It’s the dirt, getting that air intake away from the ground is always a good idea off road for cleaner air.
I know. I still like the mental picture of fording a golf cart through the water hazards. Better yet if @DieselSlug wore a diving mask and had a snorkel to submerge the cart with just the cart's intake snorkel and the tip of his above the surface!

It got taken down years ago, but there was a Youtube video of some Army guys and a rectangular muddy puddle about half the size of an olympic pool. And all you see is the intake and exhaust stack of hmmwv and a guys head. Then a Cpt comes over yelling what are you doing messing around?! Etc. Then as he nears the end of the water, the intake and exhaust stack get taller and taller while he is still low in the water. Finally there is like 10-15’ of the two pipes connected to the actual intake and exhaust when the hmmwv finally emerges. That guy was holding onto a rope and another guy was driving wearing scuba gear! 5-6 guys around start busting up, Cpt even starts laughing his head off. Guy that was holding the rope said something like, “I washed your hmmwv sir.” Hilarious video, but guessing they had to make it go away before someone got in trouble...

That is dedication to a joke. Haha

Hey, @DieselSlug , look at what I found in the new 2022 Surplus Center catalog! I don't know your lug pattern or if the rim/tire set would fit and work on your golf cart or if you can fit 14" rims to it and run the UTV radial tires on it, but the prices for either are damn cheap! Also, check out this air filter assembly for off-road, too.

Back