• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project for the boys and i

Thanks for the link it was a pretty good read. Definetly not going the same route but it was cool. As far as the rear wheel placement it is in exactly the same place as the truck I pulled it off of. I could lower the bed/body about an 1 1/2" more but if I keep those wide tires it might be too much. Thinking maybe I might put in a filler panel in the wheel well areas so the frame isn't so obvious. Also considering maybe some old school looking running boards but that would be later if at all.

I'm considering using the bumper that came with the blue cab it also has a flat panel between the grill and the bumper with some cool looking lights I'd like to reuse if I can find/make some lenses.

They also were the turn signals, as the small lens at the bottom of the headlight bezel is a "parking" light. Studebaker replica (and OEM) lenses are available for those turn signals. Also a great location to mount some serious HID driving and/or fog lights in between them.

Optional, dealer installed. Add-on lever and switch clamped to the column. Those were Studebaker's basic work truck. Just as a radio was optional (as was a heater in the most basic truck) back then.

Last edited:
They used a flasher. Very simple system, easy add on wiring. Very common on 1930s-40s-50s straight trucks and pickups as a dealer-installed option. JC Witney used to sell them up through the mid 80's in their catalogue.

Nah, most States didn't have a requirement for them. They became "standard" on cars first as a safety device (like laminate safety glass windshields), then later became required by law. By the mid-fifties pretty much all vehicles, cars and trucks, had turn signals as standard.

So you got a Studebaker truck that either had those as an add on Dealer Option or added on later by an owner. But those look like the Studebaker Optional from what I can see in the photo and there are lenses available for them. Very hard to tell from the one tail shot what is in that bed you're using, they look like they're built into the edge of the box, which Studebakers weren't back then.

Duh! I'm having an almost 60 moment! That is NOT a Studebaker bed! I've seen enough of those in my life. You got that as a cab and chassis, no bed. The tail/brake lights would have been mounted to the sides of the box at the tailgate opening and about ⅓ of the way up from the bed.

Yes it is a Studebaker bed. The cab is from a 2r16 IIRC. The bed is from a 2r6 IIRC. I believe it did have outboard tail/brake lights. Like I said those are just reflectors not lights

Now that I look closer (and ignore the first, out of focus pic) at the second photo, yeah, that's a Studebaker pickup bed. I guess the reflectors and being banged up some threw me off. You have the tailgate for it?

Back