• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project for the boys and i

So how does the wheel base and width match up?

So doing a body swap- or are you going to rering engine, rebuild trans, and all that chaos while
It’s out?

Wheel base is almost perfect. Haven't checked the width yet but I suspect that the wheels that are on it will be too wide.
At this point my goal is to get the body mounted and then start getting all the rest functional. Probably get it looking like a running driving truck and then tear it all down and go through everything repaint and refresh. It will be a long project.

IDK but was told along time ago that my uncle was trying to put that V8 in there. Oh also I discovered my nephew has the manifold with the 3 dueces. The heads were what was stolen.
If the carbs are not mounted to the manifold, take another look at it, a lot of people mistake the twin two barrel setups as three deuces as the far back hole is where the fuel pump mounts to.

Around these overpopulated areas there are mobile guys that will come to your house and strip it clean. “Sandblasting” with ice, or wet sand. $$$

I have one friend that has a pool in his backyard he wants to fill in. We talked him into “borrowing it” then we would help jack hammer afterwards, but his wife still wants the pool and said something to the effect of “lifetime couch award” so we dug a hole...in another friend’s 1 acre yard with a back hoe. He got an Apache truck a couple months ago. We dug a hole, lined it with an above ground pool liner, then did the electrolysis. Used old steel plate on bottom (blocked off plastic to not tear hole) & various scrap metal around the edges as anodes (positive lead). 50 lbs bucket of sodium carbonate was cheaper than bunch of boxes, and he used a regular battery charger for the power.

He did the 1/2 the cab on it’s side, then flipped it. Then bed on end, 1/2 at a time. Then the front clip. Each part had to be in about 3-4 days each, more metal took longer. He just used big rope to hang parts from the backhoe (instead of building a hanger), and raised it out daily for a wipe down with scotchbrite pads.
You would probably need a big tarp to tent it off from the rain/ snow (weather - we dont have that here). If you were to do it inside- you needs lots of ventilation.
I would think all the old project stuff you do, a cleaning tank would be used more than once..

Around these overpopulated areas there are mobile guys that will come to your house and strip it clean. “Sandblasting” with ice, or wet sand. $$$

I have one friend that has a pool in his backyard he wants to fill in. We talked him into “borrowing it” then we would help jack hammer afterwards, but his wife still wants the pool and said something to the effect of “lifetime couch award” so we dug a hole...in another friend’s 1 acre yard with a back hoe. He got an Apache truck a couple months ago. We dug a hole, lined it with an above ground pool liner, then did the electrolysis. Used old steel plate on bottom (blocked off plastic to not tear hole) & various scrap metal around the edges as anodes (positive lead). 50 lbs bucket of sodium carbonate was cheaper than bunch of boxes, and he used a regular battery charger for the power.

He did the 1/2 the cab on it’s side, then flipped it. Then bed on end, 1/2 at a time. Then the front clip. Each part had to be in about 3-4 days each, more metal took longer. He just used big rope to hang parts from the backhoe (instead of building a hanger), and raised it out daily for a wipe down with scotchbrite pads.
You would probably need a big tarp to tent it off from the rain/ snow (weather - we dont have that here). If you were to do it inside- you needs lots of ventilation.
I would think all the old project stuff you do, a cleaning tank would be used more than once..
I had heard of the do-it-yourself electrolysis.....but I had never thought of doing it on a scale that large.....that's cool! I have a couple upcoming projects that could use that. Fantastic!

Traditional sandblasting will warp sheet metal like a potato chip, or at least the commercial duty stuff. One could use a pressure pot style blaster but it gets real messy and takes bout as long as using strip wheels on a drill or whatever. This and a DA with 80 grit is usually the way to go for a home shop.

You can bead blast it with glass or poly beads, a lot less destructive than sand. You can also soda blast them, too.

Early 50's Studebaker trucks used the 224 ci OHV V-8, while the cars used a 232. (Drop the 232 crank into the 224 and you get a very high-reving 202!) Later on, the engine was bumped up to 259ci, then later the 289 (not Ford) and finally in the 63-64 years 304ci in the Supercharged R-3 and N/A R-4 found in the Avanti, some Hawk models and the Super Lark. The R-1 was a hi-po 289 and R-2 a supercharged 289. We had a '63 R-1 Lark 2-door that was a screamer among the 30+ Studebakers my dad had out on our farm. Some were in storage, like our '36 Dictator Sedan that was a 90+ point car at Hershey, our '55 President Sedan and the '63 Avanti R-4, as well as the Lark. The '60 Champ pickup had three on the tree with an electric Borg-Warner O/D unit behind a '64 R-1 dropped into it to replace the 259 it came with. That was one hauing/towing pickup! We also had a restored Champion Starlight Coupe "corn picker" that was a real eye-grabber. Then there were the various parts mules and future projects that were parked in the small pasture next to the 44'x60' Morton building that housed the show and restored cars. Oh, and the '53 Champion Lowey coupe that we bought as a Studillac (Studebaker with a Caddy V-8 dropped into it with the 3 speed O/D behind it, a very popular gearhead conversion in the 50's that gave you the fastest top speed car on the road) that we put an 81 Mazda 4 banger and 5 speed into, replaced the hood and front fenders with fiberglas reproductions, the turned dash out of a '63 Hawk (bolts right in) and had a 25 City/34 Hiway daily driver that turned a lot of heads.

In the 50's Edelbrock (among others) made a three duece intake manifold for the Studebaker V-8 engine series. If you engine is missing its heads, they all interchange from displacement and year with each other.

Also, in the last two years (65 & 66) of Studebaker's existence when all of them were built in their Canadian plant, they were powered with Chevy 283 V-8's or the Chevy straight 6 Stovebolt.

You can bead blast it with glass or poly beads, a lot less destructive than sand. You can also soda blast them, too.

Early 50's Studebaker trucks used the 224 ci OHV V-8, while the cars used a 232. (Drop the 232 crank into the 224 and you get a very high-reving 202!) Later on, the engine was bumped up to 259ci, then later the 289 (not Ford) and finally in the 63-64 years 304ci in the Supercharged R-3 and N/A R-4 found in the Avanti, some Hawk models and the Super Lark. The R-1 was a hi-po 289 and R-2 a supercharged 289. We had a '63 R-1 Lark 2-door that was a screamer among the 30+ Studebakers my dad had out on our farm. Some were in storage, like our '36 Dictator Sedan that was a 90+ point car at Hershey, our '55 President Sedan and the '63 Avanti R-4, as well as the Lark. The '60 Champ pickup had three on the tree with an electric Borg-Warner O/D unit behind a '64 R-1 dropped into it to replace the 259 it came with. That was one hauing/towing pickup! We also had a restored Champion Starlight Coupe "corn picker" that was a real eye-grabber. Then there were the various parts mules and future projects that were parked in the small pasture next to the 44'x60' Morton building that housed the show and restored cars. Oh, and the '53 Champion Lowey coupe that we bought as a Studillac (Studebaker with a Caddy V-8 dropped into it with the 3 speed O/D behind it, a very popular gearhead conversion in the 50's that gave you the fastest top speed car on the road) that we put an 81 Mazda 4 banger and 5 speed into, replaced the hood and front fenders with fiberglas reproductions, the turned dash out of a '63 Hawk (bolts right in) and had a 25 City/34 Hiway daily driver that turned a lot of heads.

In the 50's Edelbrock (among others) made a three duece intake manifold for the Studebaker V-8 engine series. If you engine is missing its heads, they all interchange from displacement and year with each other.

You would`nt happen to have a 54 or a 55 station wagon setting around would You.
My dad was into Studebakers, He had a 54 and a 55, first car I ever drove at about nine. I would love to get one of those old station wagons and I do make a trip to Nebraska on occasion.

I wanted to have the underside of the Suburban blasted by a team with mobile dustless medium rig. They said they wanted it to be suspended in the air about 5 feet as they used a 2' wand and needed to be 2 more feet away from what they were spraying. Seems you got a way to do that which will allow someone with a similar type service to work.

I wanted to have the underside of the Suburban blasted by a team with mobile dustless medium rig. They said they wanted it to be suspended in the air about 5 feet as they used a 2' wand and needed to be 2 more feet away from what they were spraying. Seems you got a way to do that which will allow someone with a similar type service to work.
Well, either find somebody with a hoist or lift you can put it on, a service pit you can drive it over or use a forklift to pick it up and hold it high enough to work under (not highly recommended except for the brave or the fool-hardy).

You would`nt happen to have a 54 or a 55 station wagon setting around would You.
My dad was into Studebakers, He had a 54 and a 55, first car I ever drove at about nine. I would love to get one of those old station wagons and I do make a trip to Nebraska on occasion.
Sorry, the entire car collection got sold/auctioned off (including my '40 Champion 3 passenger Business Coupe awaiting street rodding) shortly after my parents got divorced and dad sold the acreage, about 30 years ago when I was away in college.

Sorry, the entire car collection got sold/auctioned off (including my '40 Champion 3 passenger Business Coupe awaiting street rodding) shortly after my parents got divorced and dad sold the acreage, about 30 years ago when I was away in college.
Thats tooo bad.
End of hijack. LOL

Back