• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project for the boys and i

As I'm sitting here looking at the two pictures I couldn't help but wonder if the fenders on the 2r16 cab are different than the fenders on a 2r5. I feel like I have the cab and box sitting pretty good but there's more tire to fender clearance in the front than the back

Here, check out these pictures of a 2R5 ½ Ton. Rats, nevermind. The two really nice ones listed on FleaBay evidently were sold or the listings ended.

If you Google Studebaker 2R5, a whole bunch of images come up that would be useful. The cabs were the same, the difference between the two models were frame/springs/axles/transmission and the load rating and whether it had a flatbed on it. The wheel well openings weren't the same front to back and the wheel placement was not quite like modern trucks, but your new alignment looks really good aesthetically IMHO.

Here, found a decent picture of an original 2R5 so you can see what stock wheels look like under it as far as the rear axle location in the back fender opening goes. Notice that it is forward of center of the fender opening. Also note that for cars this was the era of balloon fenders and fender skirts and that design theme carried over to most manufacturers' truck lines, too. With the rims/tires on that 'Hoe chassis, your current cab/bed alignment looks bitchin' and fills those fender openings nicely!

Last edited:
I'm thinking I'm going to try and use the Tahoe body mounts, cut them off and weld them back in different spots. The Studebaker mounts were either solid or had a spring in them

Camera angles and zoom/no zoom. Take a look at those stock 2R5 photos for the proper vertical alignment between the bed and cab (and gap) and you will notice that not only is the rear wheel opening not only smaller than the front, but the top of the wheel arch on the rear is lower than the front, too. Twas both the styling and also the larger front allows for clearance for turning those tall, narrow 1940s-50s truck tires with a load on rough terrain, too. Like I said, that top photo of the new alignment looks sweet!

IIRC, the stock Studebaker cab mounts on those were a rubber puck with a through bolt and the bed was solid mounted to the frame. I'll see if in the next couple of weeks if I can contact any of the members of the local Studebaker Drivers Club chapter that knew my dad and find out for sure. You could also see if there's an on-line version of Turning Wheels, the SDC Nationals publication, that might have an article on a 2R5 restoration or technical details like that.

The Antique Studebakers Club is for pre-WWII Studebakers only. Dad belonged to both clubs as he (we, I owned a 1940 Champion 3-passenger Business Coupe back in High School that I wanted to restore as a Resto-Mod with an SBC under the hood and a Jaguar independent rear suspension under it!) had a '35 Studebaker Dictator sedan.

mine was bolted solid up front and had no pads at the rear, at least not anymore lol. there were springs at the front of the cab though, the gas tank also had springs

Conestogas were very heavy and expensive, did not have springs, not even a place to sit. They were built to haul heavy loads. The brake lever was on the side where a man walking could use it. Most of the wagons involved in the invasion of the West were regular farm wagons.

Back