• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

O7 Dmax your thoughts

do you have a bigger trans cooler?

What are your trans temps like?

a hot transmission will heat soak the radiator and keep your engine temps up...

Tranny Temps are around 230* typically but I've pegged out a couple times.

Ect and trans temp do follow closely. I have an oil cooler mounted as fuel cooler and fuel filters on the frame.

Never been mentioned that the trans needs and extra cooler. I typically get told there shouldn't be any issues. I always assumed the engine was creating the heat w/ the fuel rates it can run and high boost.

I have coolers on my 6.5's and don't have temp issues.

source unknown

Tranny Temps are around 230* typically but I've pegged out a couple times.

Ect and trans temp do follow closely. I have an oil cooler mounted as fuel cooler and fuel filters on the frame.

Never been mentioned that the trans needs and extra cooler. I typically get told there shouldn't be any issues. I always assumed the engine was creating the heat w/ the fuel rates it can run and high boost.

I have coolers on my 6.5's and don't have temp issues.

source unknown

if you stay within specs the stock cooler will do fine...but you are towing a lot more than it was designed for...I would say you need to research a good trans cooler for your truck and you'll see engine temps come down as well...

Mike L makes a kit ...Earls makes a good cooler and you can get all the parts to make your own kit. I have an 01 and my trans cooler lines are different than yours...but if you do a little searching you can find the info you need to make your own...

if you stay within specs the stock cooler will do fine...but you are towing a lot more than it was designed for...I would say you need to research a good trans cooler for your truck and you'll see engine temps come down as well...

Mike L makes a kit ...Earls makes a good cooler and you can get all the parts to make your own kit. I have an 01 and my trans cooler lines are different than yours...but if you do a little searching you can find the info you need to make your own...

For an LBZ the MIKE L/PPE cooler is the only option unless you make custom trans lines. 06-10 tranny coolers are completely different from the 01-05 coolers. The 06-10 cooler is probably twice aswide, if not wider.

As for running hot, what do you consider hot? I know 6.5ers panic when the engine reaches 210, but the stats aren't even fully open on a DURAMAX until 212. The fan clutch isn't even supposed to be on until 225-230 degrees. And 230 sustained trans temps with your converter locked in is to high. I don't even think DEX VI can handle those temps for long. Whatever the sump temp is add 80-100 degrees to get the temp of the fluid leaving the trans going to the cooler, so that 230 on the gauge is closer to 310-330 going into the cooler. This is why ALLISON switched to TRANSYND as it is designed to handle temps in excess of 320 degrees with no viscosity breakdown. I know I routinely see 210-220 out of mine towing, but rarely does it go over that unless I'm being stoopid(running 85 on a 95 degree day with the A/C going full blast towing).

I don't see those Temps until mid summer on a windy day.

I run amsoil atf.

One of these days my Allison will die and Mike L will get some more business

source unknown

If you're towing over 20 k in 90+° temperatures then you have to expect a hot trans. But, an 06 or 07 will cool much better than earlier. My LLY got pretty hot pulling big loads of hay. Not so with the LBZ

Sent from my SCH-I535

I expected the heat like you said, so I just keep my foot out of it and take it slow. We had an LLY and it was always havin heat issues. Maybe I will keep adding extra/bigger coolers.

Now back to the buffalo truck!

8000# trailer itself (hydraulic dove). Truck runs on the track at 8600#'s

I have no heat problems even with the lift and 35's.

981206_599285382197_2075367180_o.jpg

I expected the heat like you said, so I just keep my foot out of it and take it slow. We had an LLY and it was always havin heat issues. Maybe I will keep adding extra/bigger coolers.

Now back to the buffalo truck!
Hey, i like that nick name;)
Might change it to Bison Hauler cause it's gonna be it's main job.

OK i got this twock in the shop today.
Been looking around the engine bay trying to figger out how and what makes this thing tick.:???: Definitely not as much room as the 'ol 6.5 :nonod:
looks like i'm in bit of a learning curve here:agreed:,..all kinds of gadgets bolted here and there with wires going in every direction and i haven't the foggiest clue yet as to what they are for,..and i have no manual,... not even an operators manual.( i try not to cuss but it is really hard not to :()

For starters, i need to replace no 5 glow plug,..were is it and how in the blazes do i get to it!?...wheel well??.

The plastic liners pop out super easy in the new style trucks, and gets you right at the glow plugs. #5 is the 3rd one back on the passenger side. #1 is the front cylinder on the passenger side which is opposite of the 6.5.And technology comes with a price. you now have over double the power of a 6.5, but it uses electronic controls to do it RELIABLY!

We have a nice thread on changing glow plugs. They are a piece of cake to change. If you send me a PM with your E-mail, I have the manuals for the 2006 that I could send you.

I got a little paranoid in the last year reading about these trucks and the few times when a glow plug broke off while trying to remove and the process attempting to remove afterwards. So I sprayed them with PB blaster a couple of times and removed all eight and reinstalled with a dab of never-seize.

I bought a LBZ turbo from an guy just north of me that had 100,000 miles on it, it came out of his truck that he said a glowplug had broken off and destroyed the motor. Some things do happen and I think his was just one of those rare occurrences. Same with a glow plug welding itself in the hole.

We have a nice thread on changing glow plugs. They are a piece of cake to change.
Look through the thread and you'll see Jeff is right. Took me longer to pull the wheel and liner than to change the left bank plugs and those are the tougher ones m

Sent from my SCH-I535

Back