• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

O7 Dmax your thoughts

I did mine with the shroud on and it took all of about 15 minutes.
Yours didn't have the LBZ inner shroud though Jeff. The one hanging on my shop storeroom wall for the last 75,000 miles...;)

Regardless, they don't get any better than these trucks. And Ferm's right on maint parts shopping. There are thousands of us in the know thanks to being part of these Duramax forums for so many years.

I bought 10 Allison trans filters for 7.50 each on Amazon.

Swap to nicktane adapter and use cat filters instead of ac delco. I'm sure they have longer life and as cheap or cheaper.

Oil changes at 10k are typically fine.

source unknown

Parts average

Thermostats ----------------------$80.00

Injectors to purchase only one---$300.00

Serpentine belt--------------------$50.00 I paid about $35 for mine and got the HD belt

Glowplugs purchase only---------$100.00 I only paid a little more than that for all 8

Front hubs each ------------------$200.00

Fuel filter --------------------------$35.00 I have adapters and use only CAT spin ons for my fuel filters. $14 to 18 each.

Allison spin on---------------------$15.00 I paid less than $8 for my last few that I purchased from an Allison dealer.

Lower radiator hose---------------$90.00

Upper radiator hose---------------$30.00

Water pump-----------------------$200.00
Replacing the water pump a whole different issue...........:eek:

Yours didn't have the LBZ inner shroud though Jeff. The one hanging on my shop storeroom wall for the last 75,000 miles...;)

Regardless, they don't get any better than these trucks. And Ferm's right on maint parts shopping. There are thousands of us in the know thanks to being part of these Duramax forums for so many years.

NO, I have that crazy shroud on mine. ;) :thumbsup:

I bought 10 Allison trans filters for 7.50 each on Amazon.

Swap to nicktane adapter and use cat filters instead of ac delco. I'm sure they have longer life and as cheap or cheaper.

Oil changes at 10k are typically fine.

source unknown

Exactly Tanner! :thumbsup:

Just so you guys know where I'm coming from, I'm not looking at small stuff I'm talking hard parts heads etc

Any vehicle that is about 10 to 12 years newer, the parts will always be a little more expensive.

I'd do it. It will pull your stock trailer like you wouldn't believe. Fix it up a bit, and if it's too much, flip it. If not, maybe it's time for one of the other trucks to go? Just a thought. The issues it sounds like it has are typical and not terribly expensive to fix or deal with. The one thing I would look at is the front steering/suspension. Give that a good inspection, it's probably in need of some repair.

Also, GM hasn't made a shortbed 3500 recently, so it's either a 2500HD and someone threw 3500 badges on it, or you've got something real special on your hands, lol.

Sent from Behind the Pine Curtain

I'd do it. It will pull your stock trailer like you wouldn't believe. Fix it up a bit, and if it's too much, flip it. If not, maybe it's time for one of the other trucks to go? Just a thought. The issues it sounds like it has are typical and not terribly expensive to fix or deal with. The one thing I would look at is the front steering/suspension. Give that a good inspection, it's probably in need of some repair.

Also, GM hasn't made a shortbed 3500 recently, so it's either a 2500HD and someone threw 3500 badges on it, or you've got something real special on your hands, lol.

Sent from Behind the Pine Curtain
I'm still thinking about it,..but not as hard as 2 days ago...i was not impressed when i looked under the hood, like there's no room in Canada.:rolleyes5:
It just crossed my mind that for a couple grand i can put the cummins 12 valve i have in my 98..with a bit tweaking it'll chew that D-max if it is a piece of bubble gum :D

I'm still thinking about it,..but not as hard as 2 days ago...i was not impressed when i looked under the hood, like there's no room in Canada.:rolleyes5:
It just crossed my mind that for a couple grand i can put the cummins 12 valve i have in my 98..with a bit tweaking it'll chew that D-max if it is a piece of bubble gum :D

People give to much credit to the 12 valve. It is a good engine, but even it will need work to hang with what the LBZ can do with just a tune. And then it still isn't as driveable.

People give to much credit to the 12 valve. It is a good engine, but even it will need work to hang with what the LBZ can do with just a tune. And then it still isn't as driveable.
You guys seem hell bend on forcing that g-damm D-max on me...don't ya.:hihi:
Even my wife is pushing it.:eek:

Thatta there cummins has the 6 in a row IP and will make 400 ponies with little effort and it does it with 2 jugs less and without the tunes, it is all mechanical and it has an exhaust brake as well...perfect for pulling:agreed:

If you're old school enough to think the electronic equipment under the hood of a newer engine isn't any more foolproof than the, 70s nightmare then you better stick your head under the nearest rock. These things are built to last and they do. That's like someone saying they hear these touchscreen things are unproven so they'll stick with pushbuttons on their cellphones.

Sent from my SCH-I535

You guys seem hell bend on forcing that g-damm D-max on me...don't ya.:hihi:
Even my wife is pushing it.:eek:

Thatta there cummins has the 6 in a row IP and will make 400 ponies with little effort and it does it with 2 jugs less and without the tunes, it is all mechanical and it has an exhaust brake as well...perfect for pulling:agreed:

At that point your trans and cooling capacity of the gmt 400 become limiting.

2 jugs less? MPG reference against a non lifted lbz? 20mpg is easily done in that chassis.

The cummins is simple I'll give you that and it does get great mpg while providing good power. Only issue I have is claiming a diesel from the last decade is better than current tech.

source unknown

If you're old school enough to think the electronic equipment under the hood of a newer engine isn't any more foolproof than the, 70s nightmare then you better stick your head under the nearest rock. These things are built to last and they do. That's like someone saying they hear these touchscreen things are unproven so they'll stick with pushbuttons on their cellphones.

I am old school enough and space age technology minded that I start to prefer a old time scythe over a noisy weedeater :D

Give me the simple old style push button phone and you can have these nervous "what the :WTF: happend now" touch screen contraptions that occupy most peoples lives:agreed:

90 % of my farm equipment is from the seventy's,...works for me just fine and parts are readely avalable.
Wonder if 40 yrs down the road anybody living then have even heard of D-max, or parts for them even exists;)

Sent from my SCH-I535

At that point your trans and cooling capacity of the gmt 400 become limiting.

2 jugs less? MPG reference against a non lifted lbz? 20mpg is easily done in that chassis.

The cummins is simple I'll give you that and it does get great mpg while providing good power. Only issue I have is claiming a diesel from the last decade is better than current tech.

source unknown
That can be modefied with a cutting torch and welder
I don't rely care for MPG, i write off all fuel use to the farm anyway
you betcha they are;)

Gonna have an other look at that D-max on monday ;)

I don't think you should buy anything newer than 30 years old Simon. Even though I'm older than you, I like new technology. Unlike you. ..

Sent from my SCH-I535

I don't think you should buy anything newer than 30 years old Simon. Even though I'm older than you, I like new technology. Unlike you. ..

Sent from my SCH-I535
I'm was just pulling your leg Mike :D
I don't mind new technology,..i just don't like having to fix it and i am to cheap to have it done :hihi:

Back