• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Shop

I actually used holes 1 and 5 to key off of. On the second one it acted like my center had shifted but I'm not sure how it did.
D'oh! I guess I should have read better, I see where you said that now. Bummer it shifted, but the results are still great, especially since you made them hub-centric so the lug hole diameter and location isn't as critical. Nice work.

Good thing this was just for practice. I was trying for 8 holes. I think I've figured out what the issue is. I entered 0* for the start angle and 360* for the end angle which put hole number 8 in the same spot as hole number 1. So I checked it with 0* as the start angle and 315* as the end angle and it appears to work.View attachment 73067
Because it thought it was for a Ford?

Never seen the trailer side being adjustable. Cool concept.
Walk me through this - why not the normal hitch adjustment for height on the truck? Building it yourself you could obviously make it the exact height for your truck- is this just for when someone else is towing it?

Can you show a pic from the front? I am wondering how you did the tie in to the bolted area.

So most of the adjustable units I've seen on trucks don't have near the bracing I've put on this. Probably because of weight. My back hurts just thinking about trying to lift something that heavy into the reciever. I'm using forged ball mounts rated at 14k IIRC. So I wanted something up to the task on the trailer side as well. The only time my extendable tongue will haul that much is collapsed. I use the extendable tongue fairly often though.IMG_20220527_082504.jpgIMG_20220527_082513.jpgIMG_20220527_082522.jpgIMG_20220527_083411.jpg

So awhile back, like last spring my son picked up this 07 Dragon 700. It had a leaky base gasket so we decided not to ride it and make it worse. Fast forward and we're working on it now, one piston was starting to get some scoring on it so we opted to get new pistons. Enter Chris @ TSP we sent him the pistons directly to him and he coated them and they do look nice.IMG_20221217_131514.jpgIMG_20221217_131520.jpg
Maybe if he reads this he can chime in with what coatings he put on them.
While we were into things we tightened up the steering some and to get to the first joint in the linkage that was loose we had to pull the throttle bodies. Good thing we did because the the adapter boot was in pretty bad shape IMG_20221217_131408.jpgIMG_20221217_131420.jpg
Then I happened to be on CL and found some burant boards for about 1/2 price. I really lucked out getting them. Had to fabricate the front mount as they aren't for this exact year but are for a slightly newer model IMG_20221217_131318.jpgIMG_20221217_131336.jpgIMG_20221217_131354.jpg
Getting ready to install the pistons next.

Attachments

• IMG_20221217_131307.jpg
    IMG_20221217_131307.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 3
Beautiful workmanship here.
So most of the adjustable units I've seen on trucks don't have near the bracing I've put on this. Probably because of weight. My back hurts just thinking about trying to lift something that heavy into the reciever. I'm using forged ball mounts rated at 14k IIRC. So I wanted something up to the task on the trailer side as well. The only time my extendable tongue will haul that much is collapsed. I use the extendable tongue fairly often though.View attachment 74930
This just got my attention. There's a tremendous amount of shear induced on these bolts. I like the concept, but just wanted to be sure you understand what you are looking at.
1671369426396.png

It is designed for it. They are mfg’ed pieces made to be mated to the tongue. The bracing looks good. Very similar design just an inverse of putting it on the receiver side. We might could argue an inch or so difference in a couple of designs but then argue how much bracing and difference in the centerline of the receiver tube and ball with 2" or even 2-1/2" tube.

I think I like the trailer tounge longer than the receiver "stick-out". Seems to me the shorter distance from ball to rear axle of tow vehicle is more stable towing.

adj-hitches.png

So thought I'd update this about my son's sled. Started having issues with it so we tore it back down and discovered thisIMG_20230116_211702.jpgIMG_20230116_212039.jpg
After talking to my son he said that he'd forgotten to put a hose clamp back on and it had gotten hot. He thought they had caught it in time. So we got some new pistons and had Chris coat them again. While we were waiting I kept thinking about the damage thinking that that looks like the power valves are touching the pistons. So before we reassembled it I checked them out pretty close and sure enough they didn't have enough clearance. I'm a newbie to power valves and when we disassembled it originally I thought there looked like some wear on one of them. I talked to a buddy of mine who is the head mechanic at the local dealership and he assured me it was fine. Anyway I had to Google it to find a spec for clearance and discovered this is an occasional issue and the fix was to grind the guillotine until you have the proper clearance. So we got that done and it's back together. Hopefully no more issues. My son's getting pretty good at working on his sled now though. Lol

Back