• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

H1 Hummer Cummins Swapped

And I've ordered a pair of the Dorman Taurus a/c fans you mentioned. My Hydralic fan drive will come later (if needed) it's too much engineering off the mark. I should get a running truck and mess with it later. The 6.5 was such a hot runner I'm overly sensitive about cooling. My Cummins guys assure me it wont be a big issue. I'll wait till I'm pulling 10 000lbs uphill to decide.

I would say while the stack is out, if the radiator is in question rebuild like Eric did his with the larger dimple core style or replace with new wether factory or Davis aluminum. At 20 years old, It isn’t like its a bad idea anyways.

There was an upgrade condensor made that had better airflow and improved exchange rate, I don’t remember what year that upgrade was made. Either of the “Daves” would. The existing one is ok to run, not like a radiator that if fails from metal fatigue can destroy the new engine.

Charge air cooler? It isn’t like there is any examples of a hummer with one it hurt.

The oil and power steering both are fine unless you have a specific problem from damage. Unless you are going to go aluminum, then seriously consider the all aluminum package. Only draw back is the expense of it.

The last and certainly not least part is talk to Chris about coating all of it. Any new parts you have shipped to him first then from him to you. The use of the coatings on the stack is such an obvious one to me that it has never been a question of if I would do mine. Just affording to do it, kinda like the balanced flow waterpump on the 6.5 - not if but when.

While it is all out and new engine makes sense as to when.
Just need to question Chris about timing with the hurricane and all. I hope everyone in the Carolinas is holding in ok-

If the budget is tight , I get not doing it all new now for sure. And yes the cummins will run a more even temperature. But redoing at least the radiator would be at the top of my list.

And I meant to ask: Eric W. was going to sell a diy cummins conversion kit. Is this what you are doing? Not sure he ever did put it together.

Also, if you are doing the electric only fans- DEFINITELY coat the entire cooling stack.

Its listed on his website. I'm sure it's great but I'm all for the full DIY. It's not my first swap and I've got the backing of some excellent local help and a fantastic Diesel community here on the Truckstop! I love cruising the wreckers for parts I can "repurpose" on a hummer cummins swap. Hummins is looking like the chosen name.

Brackets fabbed up to pull the A/C pump and Alt closer to block and above the frame rail. This setup uses an 81 inch belt.

View attachment 53244
Hey man. So I am in the process of doing a 12v swap into my 96 K3500. Not as cool as a H1, but nonetheless I am very excited. One of the problems I've come upon is the A/C & Alternator mounting issues. There are companies that make conversion brackets, however, I'm not a fan of some of them. However, your bracket is exactly what I'm looking for. Do you plan on selling those brackets at all? How high did you raise it? I'm sure as you know, the problem is the A/C pump will hit the passenger frame rail in the pickups, hence why I'm liking your bracket. Plus your bracket would let me retain my 6.5 alternator which runs the tachometer & voltmeter. Bonus! Less wiring! Please let me know, I'd definitely buy one. Thanks!

Hey man. So I am in the process of doing a 12v swap into my 96 K3500. Not as cool as a H1, but nonetheless I am very excited. One of the problems I've come upon is the A/C & Alternator mounting issues. Thanks!

I've been doing my conversion and have come to the conclusion that the 'mid-mount' FORD AC bracket is best fit for GMT400 and fabricate an upper gen/alt brackets for whatever unit you want to use.

If your Cummins already has a mid-mount turbo exhaust manifold then a 1st gen Ram Cummins 2wd 4" turbo downpipe is best fit on the 4wd GMT400.

Do you have a link or picture of the Ford mid mount a/c? Not sure if I said it earlier, I unfortunately don't know how to weld. I can drill & make stuff with bolts & screws though. Doesn't look as nice & not as compact, but we'll see. I'll look for the Ford ac mount.

I had people draw things up on paper with measurements, make templates out if cardboard, one guy even made templates out of wood once-
Then brought it in for us to fabricate out of steel. There is welders all around- not usually to expensive.

Oh so you're suggesting mock something up & have a welder actually make it? That would work. I've been looking around. Theres a website called screaminseemanoffroad.com that sells a high mount ac/alt bracket. But it's pretty expensive. And that bracket doesn't allow me to use my alternator. It seems pretty simple to make. Flat plate, compressor bolts to the side (pad style) then the alternator bolts up top. I could make something out of wood to be precise. I like that idea. Thanks!

Do you have a link or picture of the Ford mid mount a/c? Not sure if I said it earlier, I unfortunately don't know how to weld. I can drill & make stuff with bolts & screws though. Doesn't look as nice & not as compact, but we'll see. I'll look for the Ford ac mount.

All that is needed for the upper gen/alt bracket is some 3/8" flat stock shaped to curve around top of gen/alt to mount from the thermostat housing to upper gen/alt bolt nothing complex about it.

What gen Cummins do you have?

Search in your browser for Ford Cummins mid-mount AC compressor bracket aside the bracket you will need two o rings 1 for the bracket to block and 1 for the lower water neck & water neck must be the straight out design nothing else will work.

I'll post links later.

Are you talking about a bracket like this? Before you look at the pic, please note: this is not my truck. This is a chummins swap I was looking at buying a long time ago. Notice the mount plate for the alternator. Also note the ungodly amount of bigger nuts & washers used as spacers. But this plate is what you're referring to?
302.jpeg

Are you talking about a bracket like this? Before you look at the pic, please note: this is not my truck. This is a chummins swap I was looking at buying a long time ago. Notice the mount plate for the alternator. Also note the ungodly amount of bigger nuts & washers used as spacers. But this plate is what you're referring to?
View attachment 54020

Attachments

• 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 6
Wow! You guys have been busy!
I never got a notification that posts were popping up, Guess I better poke my nose in more often. :)

20180629_112638.jpg20180429_145936.jpg
Saw the question about the brackets. If you look close the A/C pump is mounted to a 1/4" plate sandwiched to the block between lower Radiator hose snout. The lower Alt bracket is fabbed to mount from the two upper bolts on the pump and the pivot is on the plate that holds the Tensioner. It seemed a fairly simple arrangement once I worked out the pulley placements.
The Sanden web sight has dimensional drawings.
On the Alt, it's a Powermaster 200 amp unit to handle all the lights, fans and sound equipment (If you are inclined), I use the 8 rib Dodge pulley and the is a smaller "Overdrive" pulley available for the lower RPM range of the Diesel.
I probably have some other pictures on my phone.
As far as sale of parts, you'd need to call and talk to the boss, we aren't set up for individual sales or web sales and since the other side of the shop is a Jobber shop, we generally make parts for people that are selling their own line.
There are a few Kits that he has offered for sale on the Facebook fan page, but he got swamped with lots of tire kickers and swears he'll leave the selling up to sellers. Ha! Call and catch him in a selling mood.

I can't see it clearly in the pictures but where are you routing the coolant from on the passenger side? It looks on mine in early exploration that it will interfere either with the frame side of the truck or the relocated a/c compressor.

Sandy, I made a lower snout that exits out and down and mate up to the stock lower Radiator tube. I do have to lengthen the tube slightly, but it ends up looking stock.

These pics are from the Original H1 I posted. and shows the lower hose snout. I'll find a picture of the mod I'm making now, think it's on my phone.

BTW, This in the same H1 that has a 5 page spread in the Dec 2018 issue of Diesel World magazine. Whoot!

P1030539.JPGP1030505.JPG

These are the mods to the upper Radiator snout on the Thermostat housingUpper Rad Snout 1.jpgUpper Rad Snout 2.jpg, it gets me up and around the Tensioner. The Nipple is for the rear coolant bypass.

Note the A/C - Alt mounting plate in the second picture. you can see the upper standoffs for the A/C compressor and the spacing standoffs on the back of the plate. This plate set up is undergoing V-2 mods because it really sucks to have to pull the lower hose snout, Alt, A/C Pump, and mounting plate just to get to the Thermostat housing.

Back