• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

H1 Hummer Cummins Swapped

Torque to stretch aka torque to yield bolts should NEVER be reused.

Once they get to the specific torque they begin to stretch. The degree of turn basically stretches the bolt length so that it has more clamping force. Once you stretched it will never “unstretch”. New head bolts or arp studs.

On “the right stuff” silicone- just remember if you want ultimate seal assemble fresh. Allow tacking time for easier removal later if you choose.

Still in one piece! Still running on a two-piece piston, now THAT'S something to brag about!

I never reuse the bolts, but since Cummins allows for it some do and have with success unless they'd not admit it.
Running totally stock, I can see that. But turn up the fuel or boost at all and you'd need new head bolts at the very least, if not studs.

The Mega Squirt does allow for TPS calibration. Or skip the TPS and it will calculate load from a MAP sensor.Screenshot_20180902-213803_Drive.jpg

Transfer case torque limiting
I just worked this out after staring at the pics for 2 months. It's a bracket on the frame and the transfer case with a rubber isolator between. I thought it just bumped hard on the frame when the case twisted lol. Beats the silly sterl cable connected to the 27 piece exhaust hanger that's stock....

I can't see it clearly in the pictures but where are you routing the coolant from on the passenger side? It looks on mine in early exploration that it will interfere either with the frame side of the truck or the relocated a/c compressor.

Fantastic info. Especially the TPS. Didn't see that as an issue. My standalone controller the megasquirt might be able to calibrate for the dodge output. I'll be honest I've not delved into it far enough yet...
What's a 555?

Likely the most popular IC ever made. Radio "Bankrupt Again" Shack carried them at one time. I made a delay wiper box on a 1992 S-15 biased around it one time. I was surprised it came up on here and um.. knew what it was. :wacky:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

Likely the most popular IC ever made. Radio "Bankrupt Again" Shack carried them at one time. I made a delay wiper box on a 1992 S-15 biased around it one time. I was surprised it came up on here and um.. knew what it was. :wacky:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC
I knew what a 555 was the moment it was mentioned. It is the heart and soul of nearly every timing circuit known.

Back in the very early 1980's, Car and Driver ran an article on radar, how it worked, which detectors available at that time were the most sensitive/accurate and ran several different vehicles into a typical "radar trap" on a flat, unobstructed airstrip to see how far off the most commonly used at that time police radar units locked onto a target. Results were interesting. Generally speaking, the vehicle with the largest frontal area would be locked onto farthest away (it locked onto a semi at over 1/2 mile away) but that factors such as body material or curved vs. flat body panels (vertical, near horizontal, angled) also affected radar "visiblity". They tested a pickup truck, Jeep, several different sedans, sports cars (camaro, mustang and vette) and the aforementioned semi. Results were mainly as expected but with a couple of surprises/"discoveries".

1) The Corvette was able to get the closest, under 200' away from the radar, before it was locked onto. At first the staff thought it was because of the fiberglass body and reduced (smallest) frontal area, but on further testing realized that it was due more to the fact that-

2) The RADIATOR is the primary factor (although overall frontal area does play a factor) for being locked onto! Seems a radiator's metal tubes and fins makes an IDEAL radar reflector! The Vette "walked under" the radar because the radiator, to keep the hoodline low and mean, was canted back at an angle that reflected the radar signal up and away so that it didn't return nearly as strong a signal as did say a 5.0L Ford Fairmont with a similarly sized radiaror. The flat metal front, along with the upright radiator, caused the Jeep to be locked onto a long ways off. The monstrous-sized radiator was the semi's downfall, moreso than the semi's frontal area.

3) PAINT! Metal flake/metallic and pearled paints DRAMATICALLY increased the distance that the radar could lock on. The same "stealthy" vehicle, but with metallic instead of plain solid color paint, was locked onto consistently 2-2 1/2 times farther away than the plain one! The metallic particles/flakes were SUPERB radar reflectors!

Anyhow, back to the 555 and C&D. Toward the end of the article, they talked about the (illegal) jamming of the police X-Band Kustom radar gun as a way to prevent getting a ticket vs. using a detector to alert you. They went and built not just a jammer, BUT ONE WHERE YOU COULD DIAL IN THE SPEED YOU WANTED TO SHOW UP ON THE POLICE'S RADAR UNIT! AND PRINTED THE SCHEMATIC FOR IT, TOO! It was based on sending out a signal so much stronger than the miliwatts used by the police unit, that it overrode the police unit's receiver so it thought your signal was its signal returning. The key components were a Gunn Oscillator (the source of the microwaves with a integral waveform guide) from a microwave oven, a potentiometer, a 10 watt amplifier chip and a 555 timer chip. Plus some support components (resistors, capacitors, transistors, a hobby circuit board and a build box) all available at Radio Shack at the time.

They used one of those roadside construction zone radar speed trailers to crudely calibrate the potentiometer knob position for various speeds they wanted the radar to read, so that they had like 35, 45, 55, 60, 70, etc. marked around rhe dial (remember, the National Speed Limit at that time was still 55 mph). It worked great!

The police radar gun read whatever they wanted it to. The semi coming by at 60 read 35 mph until just a few feet away! This was because the jammer's signal was 10,000 times stronger than the return echo from the police's gun. The downside was that the jammer set off detectors for miles down the road in real-life trials. They then postited that if you hooked a switching transistor to the alert output of a radar detector, you could have a jammer that turned on only in response to the presence of an incoming radar signal and thus limit falsing everybody else's detectors for miles continually.

Last edited:
Seen one or two like that. Hopefully this weekend mine will look the same. I couldn’t remember if battery box had to go so pulled mine- I’ll use wanting to paint it as the excuse.

Here's some pics of interest. A 6.5 from a hummer is 20" from center of crank to top of intake. A cummins 24v is 20 1/2" and a 12v Cummins is 19 1/2 ".
View attachment 53978View attachment 53979View attachment 53980
I wonder if the 6.5 was set into the engine bay like the GMT400's 'off center to the passenger side', 'slight tilt to the drivers side', and 5 degrees for K2500 to 5.5 degrees for 3500 down front to back to compensate for suspension height difference.' I installed the Cummins 12 valve the same way however at 5.5 degrees tilt.

I had already installed an after market intake elbow on my 12 valve conversion motor some years ago however I never considered hood clearance when I stuffed it into the Burb so I had to get rid of the elbow and go stock for now. I did order Banks Twin Ram which looks like two stock intake elbows sesame d into one unit.....

Back