• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Going mechanical with a Moose Omega Marine IP

Between what the dyno tells you, and what you calculated based on your trap speed and ET, you should be able to get a pretty accurate idea as to the power you're putting down.

I'll throw in a guess... 337/546.

Looking forward to seeing the outcome, good luck Nate...

And by the way, I had a peek at your page... love Y'all's suit's :rolleyes:
HA!! My girlfriend's work Christmas party had an "ugly Christmas sweater" theme. So of course I had to push it a bit further than that. :D

I look forward to you posting those results on your page. :watching:

Between what the dyno tells you, and what you calculated based on your trap speed and ET, you should be able to get a pretty accurate idea as to the power you're putting down.

I'll throw in a guess... 337/546.
Nice! I started a contest with some car friends at work to see who could get closest to peak horsepower, peak torque and combined peak hp and tq. The entries so far have been pretty entertaining because most of them don't know diesels and those that do don't know 6.5s.

Ok, so I changed my Donaldson air filter to an AFE unit today. I guess the Donaldson may have been getting a little restrictive because getting on the highway this evening I hit 29 pounds of boost! Normally it would spike at around 27, and tonight wasn't a spike it was hanging around 29 once it hit that, which was at the 3-4 shift. So now I'm getting a little worried about the dyno....if they get it loaded up really good, how high will the boost go?? I don't want to blow it up. I think I'm going to have to get my wastegate working again as a failsafe. And then I'm going to need the wastegate for towing season too.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I remember hitting 23psi on a shift with my HX40 and thinking it was a big deal. Then Nate hits 45% higher lol

With a cko hx-40, I would be getting the boost dialed back pronto. I believe it was mid 30's was where people were having them grenade. The video I seen of one being tested went to bits at 38 I believe if I remember correctly. As to your power potential, that one is going to be tough to guess. I seen your 122 at 3500 with 166 peak numbers, but were those with a fixxed orifice or an injector set to 2500? I know I seen where somebody did some testing, and noted a rather large drop in fuel output once he crossed over 2350 pop pressure with a ds4 pump(not sure how the db2 pump would respond in comparison). 122 at 3500 should be enough fuel for mid to upper 300HP out of an idi, but as rpm's go down, fueling goes up, so you may reach peak HP down lower and hold it on up. I would stress to the dyno operator to not lug it down if you have it set to hold it in 3rd gear and lockup. Low RPM's is where you'll hurt the engine if you're going to, that's why I avoid running much fuel below 2000 rpm's.

With a cko hx-40, I would be getting the boost dialed back pronto. I believe it was mid 30's was where people were having them grenade. The video I seen of one being tested went to bits at 38 I believe if I remember correctly. As to your power potential, that one is going to be tough to guess. I seen your 122 at 3500 with 166 peak numbers, but were those with a fixxed orifice or an injector set to 2500? I know I seen where somebody did some testing, and noted a rather large drop in fuel output once he crossed over 2350 pop pressure with a ds4 pump(not sure how the db2 pump would respond in comparison). 122 at 3500 should be enough fuel for mid to upper 300HP out of an idi, but as rpm's go down, fueling goes up, so you may reach peak HP down lower and hold it on up. I would stress to the dyno operator to not lug it down if you have it set to hold it in 3rd gear and lockup. Low RPM's is where you'll hurt the engine if you're going to, that's why I avoid running much fuel below 2000 rpm's.
Thanks for the info Ferm. I hadn't thought about the higher boost affecting the turbo itself. I don't have the original CKO wheels or bushings in it any longer, but then again they aren't genuine Holset either so I could have just as much risk going on. I'd rather not find out the hard way.

I know he didn't set up my pump with 2500psi injectors, but I don't recall exactly what he set it with. I was having some hot hard start issues and it may have been from my high pop pressure so I'm planning on dropping it for that reason and because the pump isn't calibrated for that high pop. Dropping the pop pressure would be another great thing to test on a future dyno trip.

Thank you for the rpm recommendation. I wasn't sure how low to pull it. I've been messing around on the road a. It and 1800 felt about to be the low limit, but I will err on the side of caution and have them start the pull at 2000 rpm.

1800 on boost would be OK, but flirting with danger IMO if you're really pushing the fuel to it. I know with the DURAMAX guys were shortening rods left and right at 500HP, now it's common place to see 600+ on stock bottom ends. We've learned to inject the fuel in as narrow a window as possible, move more volume of air, not just pressure, and don't fuel it hard at peak torque. Peak torque range is normally in the 1800-2000 RPM range, but this is also where cylinder pressures are the highest. If you were doing an inertia dyno you would be fine pulling it down low, but a load force dyno will load it to 100%, so you gotta be careful doing that where you're in the peak torque band on boost as it creates the highest cylinder pressures.

1800 on boost would be OK, but flirting with danger IMO if you're really pushing the fuel to it. I know with the DURAMAX guys were shortening rods left and right at 500HP, now it's common place to see 600+ on stock bottom ends. We've learned to inject the fuel in as narrow a window as possible, move more volume of air, not just pressure, and don't fuel it hard at peak torque. Peak torque range is normally in the 1800-2000 RPM range, but this is also where cylinder pressures are the highest. If you were doing an inertia dyno you would be fine pulling it down low, but a load force dyno will load it to 100%, so you gotta be careful doing that where you're in the peak torque band on boost as it creates the highest cylinder pressures.
I really want to put a larger turbine housing on this because my suspicion (without any proof yet) is that it is becoming a restriction. So I would like to have more air with less pressure. To make that work realistically though I would want to run a QSV or something else so it wouldn't be a laggy, smoky pig around town. So I know I'd have to change a few things to make 1 thing work....which is fine, I'm just not ready for that at this moment. Sounds like future dyno trips though! Hopefully soon I can put some additional pressure gauges in the system (in the manifold pre-turbine, beginning of the downpipe, end of the downpipe) so I can start finding my restrictions and address them systematically. I just need more time and money, no big deal. :hungover:

FWIW, and obviously my setup is way more pedestrian than yours.. my peak HP on the dyno was something like 2600-2800 IIRC. Peak torque was 2400. That was on a Dynojet. So based on that, I would say there's probably no real reason to start the pull lower than 2000. Its not like its a Cummins that will make peak torque at 1400rpm.

FWIW, and obviously my setup is way more pedestrian than yours.. my peak HP on the dyno was something like 2600-2800 IIRC. Peak torque was 2400. That was on a Dynojet. So based on that, I would say there's probably no real reason to start the pull lower than 2000. Its not like its a Cummins that will make peak torque at 1400rpm.
I wonder what the fueling "curve" looks like for your tune versus what my mechanical pump puts out? And then I also wonder how that will correlate to torque curve? As Ferm said, my pump puts a crap-ton of fuel out down low and then it tapers off as rpm rises. So if we assume that your fueling is more linear by comparison to mine, I wonder if that will affect when my torque peaks and make it a lower rpm than yours? It will be interesting to see the results.

I wonder what the fueling "curve" looks like for your tune versus what my mechanical pump puts out? And then I also wonder how that will correlate to torque curve? As Ferm said, my pump puts a crap-ton of fuel out down low and then it tapers off as rpm rises. So if we assume that your fueling is more linear by comparison to mine, I wonder if that will affect when my torque peaks and make it a lower rpm than yours? It will be interesting to see the results.

Yeah I don't know to be honest. I know you have a much higher volume of fuel than I do for starters. Heath said the tune puts out 80cc - as much as a DS4 will support. So seeing as you are approaching 200% of what I have, that's definitely something to consider. Part of my numbers are also due to the turbo not spooling till much later. With your fuel being A) greater in volume and B) coming in at a lower RPM, your spool is likely quicker which would put your peak number at a lower RPM as well. Can't wait to see what it does.

Back