• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GMT-800 style Trailer Tow mirrors TTM for GMT-400 trucks

Don, that corner is an opening modeled after the OEM GM mirrors that had the LED signal in them. They aren't available as a separate item so the only way to get the GM ones would be to buy new GM glass, which is roughly $300 each. I was considering installing something like this behind mine, which sounds like what Leroy did in the past. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SIDE...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3159wt_1165

Thats exactly like the ones I used, but I think I paid $9.99 at Auto Zone. Price may have gone up since then?

Don, I installed my LED arrows behind the glass. I just pulled my TTMs to look at and it looks like the LED arrow would fit in the space provided. Don't know how well they would work. Might be like my regular mirrors and work better at night.

Last edited:
A few pics of the mod'ed GMT400 style mirrors.

led arrow in mirror 003.jpgled arrow in mirror 001.jpg
Flash washed out the LEDs but you can still see them. Again this is shining through the silvering on the back of the mirror. David had a good idea in removing the silvering.
led arrow in mirror 002.jpg

I just remembered, I did a simular mod to the old Stainless steel style mirrors first a couple years before the LED arrows came out. I went to Radio Shack and bought loose LEDs and some project printed curcuit boards. Made my own LED panel and glued them to the back of the mirrors.

as I get older the glare from lights bothers me more and I would thinks those leds right there next to me would be about like someone shining a flashlight in my eyes. I do like the idea tho

I'll have to go down to the local glass shop and get some mirror scraps and play around with sanding off the backing. I would love to have them behind the glass like your pics Leroy.

Just like AK, headlight glare bothers me at night. If anybody reading this has a newer vehicle with these lights in the mirror I'd appreciate feedback about them.

Don

Bought some more of the LED arrows. This is kind of what these would look like.
In this picture the camera was shaking, but the LEDs show up as dots.
TTM LED arrow 001.jpg

Little better pic. IMO its not bright enough for daytime use. Removing the silvering will help, but Im afraid to dig into these. Like Don said some practice will be needed.
TTM LED arrow 002.jpg

Last edited:
I will take a set of plain boring manual mirrors. They match my truck, lol.

I might get another set from the next shipment with power, heat, and turn signals for when I figure out how to wire them up.

Looks like you will have yours on Tuesday.

So I decided to mount the arrow LEDs without removing the silvering because in the day time Im going to have the exterior marker/turn sigs anyway and at night they won't be as glaring like AK stated. They were still alittle to dim though IMO. So,

LED TTM 004.jpg
to brighten them up alittle I removed the PCB from the lens and drilled the lens in the location over the individual LED's.
LED TTM 005.jpg
Once done used Goop to reattach PCB to the lens. Let dry.
LED TTM 006.jpg
Then attached base to lens.
LED TTM 007.jpg
Finished with arrow.
LED TTM 011.jpg
A fine layer of Goop to attach arrow to back of mirror. Don't cover up the new drilled holes.
LED TTM 016.jpg
Stealth mode.
LED TTM 015.jpg
Arrow turned on.
LED TTM 014.jpg

Some interesting experimenting there Leroy. It would be interesting to see a comparison daytime and at night between the lights with and without the mirror silvering removed.

Don

You get yours on yet?

Sadly, no. I need to get my engine buttoned up and installed before I do.

Question, though. On the set you sent me, with the turn signal, there are two banks of LED's on each mirror. Is the top turn and the bottom amber marker?

I'm not sure how to do it, but I'd love to install one or two white LED's underneath that are activated by the door switch. I've seen that once or twice and always liked it.

Both banks are marker lights unless you do like David, Don and Barry and convert them. I am going to do mine also with the addition of the arrow.
I am also looking for a cool "puddle light" for the bottom of the mirror. I want to hook it up to my alarm.

Both banks are marker lights unless you do like David, Don and Barry and convert them. I am going to do mine also with the addition of the arrow.
I am also looking for a cool "puddle light" for the bottom of the mirror. I want to hook it up to my alarm.

I see that now. It looks like they added a diode to make the full bank turn signal. Did I read that right? Also looks like it would be some work to divide the two banks.

But you know what? I've rebuilt 2 6.5's in the 8 months. I'm ready to tackle something else. It's rather embarrassing, though. I work in the IT industry, but my electronics prowess is abysmal.

I see that now. It looks like they added a diode to make the full bank turn signal. Did I read that right? Also looks like it would be some work to divide the two banks.

But you know what? I've rebuilt 2 6.5's in the 8 months. I'm ready to tackle something else. It's rather embarrassing, though. I work in the IT industry, but my electronics prowess is abysmal.

Way back in a century a long time ago---just had to do that, wife and daughter are watching Star Wars. However, it really is true, way back when I was a senior in high school, a long long time ago, I tried a electronics class. I couldn't get the theory into my head so to save my grades I had to drop the class. If it is physical and can fit into my hand I can figure things out, but theory that you can't see is a problem for me. Anyway to get to the point, if I can do it you can too. I just followed some good directions, thanks to David.

It takes four diodes per mirror and some careful soldering to get the running light and blinkers to work together. I soldered the diodes into the wire loom and covered them with clear shrink tube to insulate them. I got the diodes from Radio Shack, #276-1101. They didn't have enough of the individual packs, but I did find an assortment pack that had ten of the correct diodes, along with others, for less money than eight of the individual diodes.

Don

""cool "puddle light" for the bottom of the mirror"" Now you've gone and done it Leroy, you've got me thinking about something more to add.

About the turn signal in the mirror glass, it just hit me that if I tie into the wiring inside the mirror for that extra LED it will be working as a running light also. I don't think I want that, a red light constantly visible to me in the mirror. However, can some diodes be added just prior to the new LED to keep just the turn function without the running light? From my meager understanding of diodes and the way GM got the two functions to work together I'm thinking that it is possible. David? Anybody else? Got some answers?

Don

Back