• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GMT-800 style Trailer Tow mirrors TTM for GMT-400 trucks

I'm going to experience it in a few days myself.

If I remeber right the GMT400 has a little 4 pin connector Right?

Correct

I started to just make an adapter for the mirror to the four pin but then things snowballed.

I found that my truck did not have any wiring for power mirrors so I had to come up with a complete drivers to passenger side loom. I kind of went OCD then and pulled a wire harness from under the dash of either a 93 or 94 Burb at a pick-n-pull since it had power windows, mirrors, and rear defrost. I got the Burbs drivers door switch panel which had the window and mirror switches.

Since the window switches in the Burb were different than my truck I re-wired the drivers door to accept the Burb switches. I then took the scavanged loom, took it apart and pulled out what was needed for the mirrors and heat. My mirrors have heat so I used the Burbs rear window defroster wiring and dash switch for the heat. I then re-wrapped the loom, pulled my dash back and stuffed the mirror loom as close to the stock location as possible.

Now I'm not one to let things go to waste. The "new" door switches were for four door windows but I only have two doors, and of course with the extra cab, two wing windows. So, I went back to junk yard hopping and found wing window motors out of a 2000 Pontiac Montana and installed them in my truck.

The final version gives me the powered, heated, and lighted mirrors that I origionally wanted. And also powered wing windows, and while I was at it, additional 12V power ports in the panels under each wing window.

Whew!!! Lots of extra work just for new mirrors, but, I Like It!! Including the extras.

At this point I have to give Barry a great big thanks for his help. He sent me info, tips, wiring schematics, and pics of his Burbs convenience center.

Don

ps--I kept notes and schematics so if you have any questions I will try to answer them. I don't remember if you said which vehicle you're putting the mirrors on.

Don, I did the exact same thing on my 93 a few years ago but for the stock GM mirrors. It was alot of work. It was a few years ago and I have forgoten how I rewired the Burb panels into my ECLB so any schmatics you have would be great to cut the learning curve again.
Mirrors are going on my 94 Burb. Will be much easier this time as it is wired for mirrors and rear defrog.

Last edited:
Leroy--I saved all the e-mails I got from Barry in a file so the easiest for this computor challenged idiot would be to forward the schematics. I also have my notes of wire colors and where they go so I'll need to get my son or daughter to help me figure out how to scan them and put into an e-mail.

Since your Burb is already wired for power mirrors I think the easiest for you would be to go to a yard and find the correct 8 pin and 4 pin ends and make up a 6" adapter pigtail to go between the mirror loom and the door loom.

Which mirror version are you installing? Power + heat + lights? Or power + heat? If you are wanting to add the mirror heat to the rear defrost you'll find a heavier gauge purple wire, or maybe purple/white wire, somewhere in the loom that comes out from the bottom side of the kick panel. I don't remember if this was part of, or seperate from, the loom going to the rear door windows. Once you tie into this for heat you'll have to somehow run a wire across to the pass side mirror, (maybe under the carpet) but I think this would be the easiest way to power up the mirror heat.

Don

I'll pm you my email address.
I ordered the power w/sigs, but looks like I got heat to :D. The little adaptor harness is what I was thinking also. I think I know someone that can build one :thumbsup:

I ended up building a harness for them from scratch for my 88.

Leroy, If you can find me a source for adapters I'd be down to build adapters you could sell with them. I also wouldn't mind selling harnesses based off the ones I built, but again I'd need lots of plugs and some switches.

I allready have a bunch of connectors coming. On the stock GMT400 power mirror it has a 4 pin connector. On the new TTM's mine has a 8 pin connector but only 6 wires. At this point Im guessing four for mirror function and two for heat? Is that what ya'll have?
It has two seperate wires for the turn sigs.

On a side note. I went and dug up some old power mirrors I had on my 93. I had forgotten I installed LED turn sigs behind the mirror.

Yeah, 4 are mirror control and 2 are heat. I used the 2 empty cavities to run the signal wires all in one plug.

The 8 pin connector is correct for GMT400 trucks that came with OEM heated mirrors, because many of them with heated mirrors also had electrochromatic glass, hence the two empty cavities on the connectors. IIRC 99-00 were the only years it was available in trucks, and to 01 in SUVs.

In 99 the heated mirror option became available on the GMT-400's, and I believe they continued on in the GMT-800's up to 06 with the same connector.

I was talking GMT400 style, since this is what they fit. 99-00 GMT400 trucks, 99-01 for SUVs. Obviously heated mirrors was available in everything later, but the GMT800 style only used the same 8-cavity plug from 99-02. 03 Mirrors are WAY different as they plug into the window switch and are BCM operated.

Yeah, 4 are mirror control and 2 are heat. I used the 2 empty cavities to run the signal wires all in one plug.

I also used the empty cavities for the signal wires. At the same time I added the diodes so the lights would work for both turns and running lights.

Don

On a side note. I went and dug up some old power mirrors I had on my 93. I had forgotten I installed LED turn sigs behind the mirror.

Leroy, or anybody else. Can somebody tell me how to remove the mirror glass in these new mirrors without breakage? I'd like to add additional lighting so the mirror is more visible from the rear.

Don

I used a heat gun, but you still have to be carefull.
I did mine in about 1999 sometime. When the turnsignal mirrors first hit.
Use one of those cheap Auto Zone "arrow" LEDs. Cut the plastic behind the mirror to fit
then gooped in it place. It actualy looked good at night, but hard to see during the day.
Have you noticed on the factory Arrow mirrors the glass is clear where the little dots are? Mine has to shine through
the silvering of the mirror so its not as bright.

I was talking GMT400 style, since this is what they fit. 99-00 GMT400 trucks, 99-01 for SUVs. Obviously heated mirrors was available in everything later, but the GMT800 style only used the same 8-cavity plug from 99-02. 03 Mirrors are WAY different as they plug into the window switch and are BCM operated.

I knew that the first GMT-800's used the same plug, I was just throwing that out there for others who may be looking for plugs to broaden there search to those vehicles. I thought I had read that the same mirrors would fit 01-06.

I can get and have on order the correct connectors and pins. Don't hold me to this yet but I will probably be able to sell the supplies for $15 a set and $25 if I build the cable adapter. At that price it may not be worth your time fooling with a junk yard then having to solder up a cable.

I also used the empty cavities for the signal wires. At the same time I added the diodes so the lights would work for both turns and running lights.

Don
I wired my diodes to the mirror side, so they are contained there. Which worked out well since I swapped them to another vehicle.

Leroy, or anybody else. Can somebody tell me how to remove the mirror glass in these new mirrors without breakage? I'd like to add additional lighting so the mirror is more visible from the rear.

Don
I pulled one glass off mine just cause. The glass is glued to a plastic backer, but the backer is attached to the mirror motor head via clips. I used a small flat screwdriver to start releasing the clips all the way around. Taking the glass out is the only way to get the light off it. Also, there is a holder in the plastic frame cutout (just like OEM) for LED signals. I had thought about putting some in just haven't gotten around to it with the move and all.
P1110014.jpg

P1110016.jpg

P1110015.jpg

P1110013.jpg

I knew that the first GMT-800's used the same plug, I was just throwing that out there for others who may be looking for plugs to broaden there search to those vehicles. I thought I had read that the same mirrors would fit 01-06.
Well, the mirrors physically bolt up to any GMT800 vehicle, but i assure you 99-02 is wired and has different plugs and 03-07c. I actually converted Brandon's old power non-towing mirrors from his 07 to fit my 02 by putting the older plug on them. Another note is the GMT800 style plugs is the correct plug, but not the same pinout or colors.

I wired my diodes to the mirror side, so they are contained there. Which worked out well since I swapped them to another vehicle.

I pulled one glass off mine just cause. The glass is glued to a plastic backer, but the backer is attached to the mirror motor head via clips. I used a small flat screwdriver to start releasing the clips all the way around. Taking the glass out is the only way to get the light off it. Also, there is a holder in the plastic frame cutout (just like OEM) for LED signals. I had thought about putting some in just haven't gotten around to it with the move and all.
P1110014.jpg

P1110016.jpg

P1110015.jpg

P1110013.jpg

Well, the mirrors physically bolt up to any GMT800 vehicle, but i assure you 99-02 is wired and has different plugs and 03-07c. I actually converted Brandon's old power non-towing mirrors from his 07 to fit my 02 by putting the older plug on them. Another note is the GMT800 style plugs is the correct plug, but not the same pinout or colors.

Sorry for not being clear with my post. I did put the diodes on the mirror side of the loom. And by the way, even though I got the info for the diodes in a round-a-bout way, THANKS!!

Thanks for the mirror removal info. I'm a visual kind of person so those pics are worth a thousand words.

In the second pic I'm guessing the bottom left corner is where you say it is set up for LEDs. I'm rather new to doing anything with electronics so do you have more detailed info as to what LED would fit there?

Don

Don, that corner is an opening modeled after the OEM GM mirrors that had the LED signal in them. They aren't available as a separate item so the only way to get the GM ones would be to buy new GM glass, which is roughly $300 each. I was considering installing something like this behind mine, which sounds like what Leroy did in the past. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SIDE...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3159wt_1165

David--thanks for the info. About $300 each!!! That's highway robbery!!!

That Ebay one is kind of like what I was thinking, but I don't like the idea of it being stuck on the exterior surface of the glass. I guess I'll keep looking and maybe find something that I can put through the bottom surface of the mirror body.

Don

I meant install behind the glass. I planned to use a dremel and a pattern to sand the mirror backing off so they would show through.

Back