• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM 3.6 VVT

Just a heads up, I checked for engine TSBs this morning on this engine to see if there are any updated parts that you need for the rebuild. GM issued TSB PIP5216G for rod bearing failure. They have you inspecting the heads and VVT solenoids. If metal shavings are found they are recommending REPLACING the engine and NOT rebuilding it.

Here is a link to the TSB so you can make your own judgment on if you should follow through on this rebuild or not.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169341-9999.pdf

I wonder if it is time/ labor costs that push it because of disassembly of the units for cleaning and possibly replacement costs bring it close.

I can’t imagine new engine being less cost than replacing half the components.

100% tear down and inspection- then replacing any damage components like the vvt solenoids if in doubt for them.

The TSB talks about the oil filter being in bypass mode causing metal shaving to be sent throughout the entire oiling system. The heads don't use cam bearings so if there is damage the heads will require replacement. Its probably better for GM to replace the engine to avoid any costly comebacks. its all about the bottom dollar.

Yes, but check the heads for wear at the cam journals. There is no bearing so if they are damaged the heads will need replaced. I just don't want to see you rebuild this engine just to have a vvt issue and have to pull it back out

Let us know what you find.

I did not know GM had a TSB for the rod bearings on the 3.6. I figured that was information you needed to see. Hopefully yours didn't send metal into the top end and the heads are still good🤞

I wonder what oil filter is on this engine? One of those tiny ones GM likes to shove on everything? The old oil filter may be worth an inspection in case IT caused the engine failure.

So an update on this engine. Thought I was going to have the short block together today but I have to file fit the rings. I'm about 1/4 of the way done but with the gapless rings I have more pieces to file, 30 all together. First time I've ever had to file rings, the others I've used were already gapped correctly, if anything on the loose side. Makes me wish I had a ring filer.
So parts I've had to buy so far are, crank w/bearings, rod, gapless rings, gasket set, timing kit, oil pump, water pump, lifters ( sealed so I can't take them apart to check for debris in them), and all new valves, guides too. Sent my cam caps to Chris to coat them, said he'd mail them back tomorrow. They were right on the edge of the spec so with the coating I should be good or actually better because of the coating. Thanks Chris.
Valves should be here next week and I have a window of time before my next job so hopefully this will progress more rapidly now.

You can diy a ring filer. Depending how much has to come off, hand or dremel.

this video is dremel- and the guy is filing from inside out- WRONG WAY! You want to have the burr to the inside, then do the final wipe by hand before installing. He is removing a ton btw.

If you only have a grinder and no dremel, watch this video. FF to 4 minutes in. Another disclaimer for error- he is grinding from outside to inside which is correct, but he grinds both sides. DONT DO THAT. One side is perfect- leave it that way. Match your other side to it to ensure they stay correct and only finish clean up on one side.

Back