• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM 3.6 VVT

So the heads are 90% together. Valves are installed and I went through the cam caps and checked clearances again. I had to burnish a few but Chris warned me I'd have to. Got the lifters soaking in oil now too. I ordered a ultrasonic cleaner, a Christmas present from my wife, been holding off on the rockers as I'd really like to run them through it. I thought it was going to be here today......IMG_20220106_182727_324.jpgIMG_20220106_182740_196.jpgIMG_20220106_182748_951.jpg
How do you like my ultra expensive parts trays? LoL

Love the parts trays!! when I saw them in the photo on the floor, I was thinking you had some free range hens running around!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have seen some similar but was a long shank or rod about the diameter of a 1/4" drill bit but had an end on it with a hole in the center and a small set screw to hold a bit or similar. something like this cant take the torque like you would see from using it as a drill bit extension, but maybe for light duty work.

maybe something for lapping valves, a "magnet on a stick" approach might work where a drill could be used with a long shank where the end would have something that would grip the flat side of the valve?

just thinking out of the box here!!

that's intresting! I would have assumed the use of some kind of solvent. that's awesome simple dishwasher soap and water can make them look that good!

Those SBC manifold heat shields, always caked with burnt on oil and durt. A bucket of strong solution of detergent and water. Let them soak for a couple of days. They’ll come out looking almost as good as new and no scrubbing or scraping required.

So Saturday evening I drove my wife's Acura to Lowes to get something. Picked it up and when I got in it to start it nothing. It would crank but not fire I ended up leaving it there. Went back Sunday and picked it up with a trailer and now it's in the shop too. Fortunately I had the 3.6 back together far enough that I could lift the car and roll the engine underneath it.IMG_20220110_083308_650.jpg
Turns out it was the fuel pump, none in the state so O'Reilly's is bringing me in one and it should be here tomorrow afternoon. So this is going to impede progress on the 3.6. Oh also as a side note my truck started showing 0 fuel pressure just as I got home too.

Back