• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM 3.6 VVT

I busted a piston ring attempting to slide the triple cylinder jug assembly down over the center piston.
Does that count towards anything ? 🤷‍♂️ 😹 😹 😹
ordered another set of rings, thats $60.00 I’ll never again see. 😵‍💫😹

The black coated areas I’m guessing is where the camshafts lay within.
Seems strange that they are at angles, and both ends not the same angle. Or is that an optoptical allusion ? 😹

Whats the plans with this rig AK? Keep and use for the family or flip? I had a similar situation with a 99 Grand Cherokee I bought. Much simpler engine (4.0L) ended up dropping a piston skirt. IIRC I still have the shrapnel alongside my burnt 6.5L piston downstairs in a "memory box". Found out this box needs to grow as you get older haha.

I'm about to take my first stab at lapping valves on the little golf cart engine. Just going to go them by hand since I only have 2!
Lap them in, then, after they are sanded all the way around, lift the valve then slap it down, repeatedly several times. The pounding down should leave a mark as to where the area that the valve is seating on, both on the head and on the valve seating area.
At least that always works when valves is fresh ground. I never before tried it after a valve is lapped in.
When I grind in the valve and the seat, I never lap them, only lift the valve off of the seat then forcefully slap it down. That leaves a line on the area where the seat area is on the valve and also in the seat. I then adjust the area where the seating is taking place on the valve,
If it is seating too close to the outer edge of the valve then I use a stone with a shallower taper to remove a slight bit away from the outer seating surface of the seat. That moves the seating area on the valve more towards the inward area of the valve seat face.
If the valves are seating too close to the outer edge of the valve it can cause the valve to burn burn out.

I used to lap in valve seats and vlaves. After that old timer showed Me about slapping the valve into the seat then checking where that thin line is located, never did lap another valve after that.

I've used a cordless but that too can be a pain. Be nice if someone made an adapter you could put in a drill to get ahold of the valve stems easier. Especially on heads like these that the stems are in a fairly deep recess.

Back