• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM 3.6 VVT

Wouldn't surprise me. The old Mopar 318's and 360's, like the 360 in my old '72 D100 Adventure Sport, were notorious for the timing chain jumping a tooth or more because some corporate idiot thought that running with nylon teeth on the cam sprocket so the engine would be quieter was a bright idea - right up until 80-100K miles and the brittle nylon teeth began chipping or breaking off and the chain would jump a tooth or two, usually at engine shutoff when the valvetrain's rotational inertia would cause the side of the timing chain normally under tension when running to go slack and the worn/missing teeth would slide by. The cure was going with a Cloyes or other all steel gear and chain set when replacing.

Avoid timing chains on an Audi V6 engine.
Talk about complicated and a boat load of special tools.
Even working on my '84 Audi 5000 turbo diesel 30 years ago was a PIA at times. The engine/Bosch P-pump/turbo system was easy enough, but things like trying to find the leak in the vacuum-actuated 4-door power locking system could drive a person insane! The only reason for the vacuum pump on the car in the first place was the brake booster and the door lock system! Why not electric door locks???

So after many delays and vasillating back and forth between doing this in the car or dropping the subframe assembly. I finally dropped the subframe. This is a first for me I've never dropped one before.
I think I have a couple of days I can put towards it, barring any unforeseen things coming up. So hopefully I can get it back in pretty soon.
IMG_20211117_104659_479.jpgIMG_20211117_104712_036.jpg

Fun experience? I know the "cheat" for pulling the engine on Camry's instead of dropping the subframe like in the manual, is to remove everything from the front of the engine (accessories, pulleys, brackets, etc), disconnecting all wiring harnesses, fuel lines, accelerator & cruise cables, exhaust down pipe, unbolting the torque converter from the flex plate and the block from the transaxle, pulling the motor mounts, then sliding the motor over an inch or so to clear the locating dowels and lifting it out with the front clearing the inner fender by about an inch.

It saves about 5 hours on the R&R and the hassle of raising the vehicle up on a lift and having a cradle jack to lower the subframe down to the floor and then still having to separate the engine from the transaxle to work on/swap out.

Well I pulled off the timing cover and things actually looked pretty goodIMG_20211117_114605_520.jpg
So I figured I'd better pull the pan and I found a big piece of metal.
IMG_20211117_151227_015.jpg
So I started checking the rod bearings and one of the middle ones is loose. So I guess it's rebuild time.

If compression is good, you might get away with having the crank turned and new bearings. along with maybe oil pump. depending on what caused the problem

I would weigh out options as what the rebuild cost would be compared to a used but guarenteed engine would cost from LKQ or some of the reputable salvage yards. LKQ puts 3-6 months warranty on their engines.

You were smart to drop the whole engine and trans assembly out like that. Makes it alot easier to work on them. I see alot of guys think that its faster to "cheat" an engine out. In my experience that's just not the case. I can have most subframes dropped with the engine and trans in about 2 hours. If you have a lift to work on then its really the best option for most vehicles out there.

Yeah, if you have a shop with a lift. Not that many people out there with a home garage with a two-post or four post lift in it and a cradle jack to lower out the subframe for that once in a great while procedure. Again, for a home DIY'er with a cherry picker and not the ability to get a vehicle 6' up in the air, nor the bucks to take it to a mechanic, the "short cut" is the way to go.

Crap! My cart was just edited and the crank removed and is now out of stock
Any other options, like through NAPA or AAP? I know when I was building my hybrid 4-bolt main large journal 327 from a 1971 350 truck block, that AAP had a 307 (same stroke as a 327) crank and bearing set for fairly reasonable (in 2001) price under $200 delivered to the store. Of course, you being up in Alaska, I shudder at what shipping costs would be, even delivered to the store.

Back