• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel System redone

On the main studs- if you would please ask and share. I think gathering more information from people and how long the engine lasts will be really helpful for people in the future. The things that everyone knows now is only because people learned and shared before.
Final torque specs on the pre 98 blocks (big bolts sizes) get 90 lbs on the center or ”long studs” and 80 lbs on the outer or “short studs”.

As for progress on my motor…
Pre Cups arrived GEP and the machinist returned from a road trip yesterday so work can begin again. The heads are locked into the machine and tomorrow the pre cup ledges will start getting machined to proper depth. He’s removed the HT4 cam for a closer to OEM but still lively design he did years ago but never marketed. No, I don’t have the specs.
Anticipating the motor will be reinstalled and running inside a couple of weeks.

Update. BLUF: Heads are being abandoned, time has run out. You're all thinking what I was thinking when I got the call this afternoon, 'But what now?'

Long story first.

The second tool needed for the work finally showed up last week aaaaaannnnnddddd....it wasn't the correct one. More time / $$$ lost waiting for that to get corrected. Plus, the machinist has several businesses and is finally making money after a tough winter so there's really no time to donate to the machining without taking time out of his day jobs and weekends (est. at least 20 more hrs). Plus, he needs to get his Land Speed Racer's ready for the new season too.

Finally, the more we discuss the history of the heads, what has been done, what probably was done and not understanding why and what's still needed to be done I realized it is really turning into a long series of compromises. Enough good money has been thrown after bad after the first Diesel Depot fail. Ted tried to talk me out of it....just stop...now.

I'm happy to hand over the valve springs, retainers, etc. to Bill who gets a couple of chocks to keep doors open/closed or trucks rolling around the shop (maybe use as parking blocks outside the shop?). He also keeps his valves and the pre-cups from GEP will go on the shelf for the next project
So, what about my need for a set of heads? I'm winning as my 'new' heads are coming off a P-400. The motor is a spare sitting in a crate and have only 41K on 'em. They're being gone through now to be certain all's well and going on the truck shortly.

So, In the spirit of good things coming to those who wait, good things are happening for me.

Stay tuned....

Update. BLUF: Heads are being abandoned, time has run out. You're all thinking what I was thinking when I got the call this afternoon, 'But what now?'

Long story first.

The second tool needed for the work finally showed up last week aaaaaannnnnddddd....it wasn't the correct one. More time / $$$ lost waiting for that to get corrected. Plus, the machinist has several businesses and is finally making money after a tough winter so there's really no time to donate to the machining without taking time out of his day jobs and weekends (est. at least 20 more hrs). Plus, he needs to get his Land Speed Racer's ready for the new season too.

Finally, the more we discuss the history of the heads, what has been done, what probably was done and not understanding why and what's still needed to be done I realized it is really turning into a long series of compromises. Enough good money has been thrown after bad after the first Diesel Depot fail. Ted tried to talk me out of it....just stop...now.

I'm happy to hand over the valve springs, retainers, etc. to Bill who gets a couple of chocks to keep doors open/closed or trucks rolling around the shop (maybe use as parking blocks outside the shop?). He also keeps his valves and the pre-cups from GEP will go on the shelf for the next project
So, what about my need for a set of heads? I'm winning as my 'new' heads are coming off a P-400. The motor is a spare sitting in a crate and have only 41K on 'em. They're being gone through now to be certain all's well and going on the truck shortly.

So, In the spirit of good things coming to those who wait, good things are happening for me.

Stay tuned....
To summarize, you are putting P400 heads on a bored out 6.2 engine? Why not just buy the spare P400?

Glad you're sticking with the project. I was curious as to what the cost of re- doing the heads was going to be vs. getting a new set of good heads and starting over there. All that extra work and tools seemed like a lot of effort. You'll like the P400 heads for sure, and definitely get the rest of that engine if you can!

Long story first.

Stay tuned....
While you’re up spending, get yourself some of those Harlan Sharp rockers. They look real cool.

To summarize, you are putting P400 heads on a bored out 6.2 engine? Why not just buy the spare P400?
Correct. P-400 heads on a 6.2, 30 over block.

As for the rest of the P-400: Yeah, if only. But, it isn't for sale...didn't ask, not even as joke comment. It's being held in reserve should the LSR puke the current one. Don't think I didn't contemplate serious groveling should there have been something wrong with the 660 block.
Up Spending: The newer heads are gifted at no cost.
Harlan Sharp rockers: I'm pretty sure my rockers will get transferred over.

18-Rockers Close Up.JPG

Glad you're sticking with the project. I was curious as to what the cost of re- doing the heads was going to be vs. getting a new set of good heads and starting over there. All that extra work and tools seemed like a lot of effort. You'll like the P400 heads for sure, and definitely get the rest of that engine if you can!
Costs to redo the heads vs. replacements: Trick would have been to source a reliable set of heads. $$ wise, it was working to keep the old ones. Humbling to say, the machine's tooling, time on the machine and the machinist's time were all gratis. I did my best to force him to take some $$ for it but, no go...favor to a friend/fellow SOF Vet and part time crewmember. Same with Bill's time and the parts he was pulling out of his spares. The Pre-Cups from GEP? Unknown as Bill didn't say. Point is moot since they are his now... score for him too.

In the end my costs have been pretty much just for transportation to WA, the new rebuilt IP & injectors from when this thread started, valve springs, retainers, gaskets and other nit-noid stuff about $600. As I said, I'm good with writing off the valve springs and other stuff. Bread cast on the water so to speak. It all works out for the best in the long run.

Why black?

I'm still green.
No clue but, I’m not complaining. I didn’t know he was going to paint it at all. Looks better than the pealing Silver Blue whatever that was barely hanging on when it was pulled even if the heads don’t get touched up. The OEM upper intake unit is on . He was never a fan of the upper intake mod Jammie came up with on the original build that I also used (Cummins “hat” w/ a couple of 90* bends to the turbo).
IMG_3001.JPG

You would think that one would have been designed/fabricated with the inlet facing forward and a single, long-radius, sweeping 90° bend from the turbo to the inlet to promote maximum smooth flow into the intake manifold.

Back