• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Farming Thread:

That's too bad about your beets. Did you have crop insurance? How did the corn fare?

The corn is fine except where it washed out. The insurance on the beets will pay for the beet seed and that's about it. Since it was in what they call stage 1 they figure you haven't spent as much on them yet so they only pay 60%, Or 35% if you want to have the replant crop covered. At least it was early enough we could still plant some short day corn.

I've got a well question.....

Now that I'm working at a packinghouse, I get out and get to talk to a lot of growers.....I talked to a big grower that was lucky, running his operation (200+acres of avocados @ 4-6 acre feet of water per acre per year) on his wells. Several wells, in the 500 gpm range. He was out converting back to electricity b/c it is cheaper than diesel now. He was even getting biodiesel, which is cheaper than D2 here......but still going back to electricity. How many of you have the option to power your wells by the grid?

No wells for me, we normally can survive with out them. I am looking at using a old gravel pit to pump out of to trickle under my plastic, but not done yet.

I noticed the tool on the Challenger is much wider. How much? How does it work compared to a tire tractor?

The smaller 3 bars are 15 knife and the one on the cat is a 23 knife(60') bar. I guess the cat handles it ok. Dad was the one that was running it. We did have to add some weights to the cat and put a chip on it.

Now that I'm working at a packinghouse, I get out and get to talk to a lot of growers.....I talked to a big grower that was lucky, running his operation (200+acres of avocados @ 4-6 acre feet of water per acre per year) on his wells. Several wells, in the 500 gpm range. He was out converting back to electricity b/c it is cheaper than diesel now. He was even getting biodiesel, which is cheaper than D2 here......but still going back to electricity. How many of you have the option to power your wells by the grid?

A lot of us don't have 3-phase lines and phase converters that big are Really Expensive!

Most wells here are electric except where it was cost prohibitive to get 3 phase power to them. Some were natural gas but that was more expensive than electric.

All our wells are run on 3 phase electric power. Our Smallest well runs ~1000 gpm. We have one 400 horse pump that runs 2500 gpm.

The weather is driving me nuts. I started cutting grass hay yesterday and I woke up this morning and checked the weather and they forcasted rain on Tuesday so I finished the 40 or so acres I was doing and quit. Now they are forcasting dry weather but cool. What to do. I may just pony up and cut no matter what. I might as well ignore the forcast for how often they change it. :banghead::banghead:

How's everyone's crops looking. We have pretty good standing corn, and beans showing well too.

Weather has been good arround here... only if you are done planting that is.

We have been getting good showers fallowed up by hot sunny days. Everything is reaching for the sky.

Well only time will tell now.

The weather is driving me nuts. I started cutting grass hay yesterday and I woke up this morning and checked the weather and they forcasted rain on Tuesday so I finished the 40 or so acres I was doing and quit. Now they are forcasting dry weather but cool. What to do. I may just pony up and cut no matter what. I might as well ignore the forcast for how often they change it. :banghead::banghead:
I'm with you on that. We can cut here every day... no rain :frown2:

An update for me..weather has started to warm up some, hopefully I'll be cutting in a week or week and half or so. So right now we've just been irrigating and doing maintenance on equipment that gets used during. Our sudan grass is starting to come up, we'll have to put water on it on the 18th i think is the plan. I'll probably let you guys know how the first cutting goes when we are done with it..we will see.

Northern Indiana crops look great overall. Still un-planted seedcorn fields around here due to slower growing parent seed in winter production in Hawaii, but again, overall everything looks excellent!

Well all our beets except 50 acres have been replanted to corn. So we have some corn 6 inch tall and some 2. It's all really yellow, not enough heat. Usually this time of year it's all 80 degree days but so far been cool, mostly 60s. Been getting down to 45 some nights. Just not keeping the ground warm enough. We figure all the corn is a month behind now.

My new 100 acres of sod is looking good. Will spray 24-d on it on monday and some nitrogen also. My early corn is about 4 inches tall and late should peek out of the ground early next week. We had to finish harvesting sod before we planted it. We cut the majority of my hay last week and will bale starting Monday. Everything here is at least 3 weeks behind. We even had frost last week. 2 mornings were in the upper 30's. What a strange year.

How's everyone's crops looking. We have pretty good standing corn, and beans showing well too.

Weather has been good arround here... only if you are done planting that is.

We have been getting good showers fallowed up by hot sunny days. Everything is reaching for the sky.

Well only time will tell now.

Our crops a little water logged. Corn was lookin good about a week ago and now it's yellow and looking like ****. But hopefully we'll get a break in the rain for a little while so we can get it back to green. Then I'll have to start spraying all over again. These weeds are shooting up faster than the corn and beans.

Today was my first full day of running my bale bandit. For those who don't know it is a machine you pull behind your small baler and it bands 21 small bales into big bale making it much easier to handle. We got off to a slow start because we had some hydralic issues, but from 3 to 7 tonight I was able to punch out ~ 1000 bales. and the best part is now there is only ~ 50 big bales to haul off the field. :sifone::sifone:

I got a whopping 158 small square bales picked up last night....... I know it's a lot. Don't act so impressed!

Back