• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Farming Thread:

Don't know anything about 'em. What are they and what do they do?

You wire them between your power source and the well. It reduces the power output to reduce pressure rather than having to throttle it with a manual valve. The big benefit is not having to check pressure all the time and reduced power usage when not needing to run full volume. They claim a 4 year payback along with the ability to soft start your pump. Ie when you start your pump it doesn't give it all 60 hz at one time it starts slowly and eases up a little at a time.

So far the one on the 250 horse has a few problems it bumps off ~ every 2 hrs. :mad2:

What is everyone doing in the fields now?

Today we plowed about 40 acres getting ready for corn. This was an old field that had been in sod for way too long. 30 years or so. Hoping to finish tomorrow so we can level the beginning of the week.

On the sod front the 2 new fields we planted look good. Last weekend it was in the 90's so it kicked the grass into grow mode so the mowers have been busy. The middle of this week was back down in the 40 and 50's. This year has been bizarre to say the least.

we got the corn planter out today and notill drill out too. still a little wet. we're going to try again tomorrow to plant corn and beans, hopefully get a couple hundred acres in by days end.

You wire them between your power source and the well. It reduces the power output to reduce pressure rather than having to throttle it with a manual valve. The big benefit is not having to check pressure all the time and reduced power usage when not needing to run full volume. They claim a 4 year payback along with the ability to soft start your pump. Ie when you start your pump it doesn't give it all 60 hz at one time it starts slowly and eases up a little at a time.

So far the one on the 250 horse has a few problems it bumps off ~ every 2 hrs. :mad2:

Interesting. Our deep well is only 100 HP while our lake pumps are much smaller. We're also only running ~500 gpm with our pumps,

What is everyone doing in the fields now?

Today we plowed about 40 acres getting ready for corn. This was an old field that had been in sod for way too long. 30 years or so. Hoping to finish tomorrow so we can level the beginning of the week.

On the sod front the 2 new fields we planted look good. Last weekend it was in the 90's so it kicked the grass into grow mode so the mowers have been busy. The middle of this week was back down in the 40 and 50's. This year has been bizarre to say the least.

We managed to get all but ~20 acres of corn planted. So we'll get the big tractor started cultivating the bean ground. Hopefully we'll get started planting beans around the 1st. Since they're all big fields I'll prolly get back in the sprayer and hit all the corn ground.

x2 on the bizarre weather.

after 8 inches of rain lots of hail and a couple tornadoes i dont think things are lookin to good for us here anymore

Yeah we could row the corn and beets 2 days ago... Now everything is pounded flat and underwater. I wanted to get out of the drought but not by having over half our yearly rain in 2 days. Ravines everywhere in the fields now, and lakes other places. The corn will likely come back where it's not drowned or washed out, but the beets might be gone. Can't say for a few days until it dries out and see if they pop back up. Sucks...

That well deal... We really only have the necessary hp on ours that is needed to make enough pressure so I don't think those would help us.

I would love to mow some hay here in Central IL. I thought we could mow today and maybe bale monday if I ran the crimper over all of it a time or two. Now they say it is raining in IA and MO and headed our way. Damn weather man says it is gonna be a "picture perfect" Memorial Day weekend. So much for makin' hay on decoration day.:nonod:

At least you guys with the Irrigation pivots still have your wiring on them! ours was stripped off sometime since the winter. Damn thieves. They took all the wire and clamps from the tower to the end gun, all 1200'.

On a lighter note, we're all done planting. Got the last of the beans done Thursday. Now if it's warm up and get some heat everything would green up nicely.

At least you guys with the Irrigation pivots still have your wiring on them! ours was stripped off sometime since the winter. Damn thieves. They took all the wire and clamps from the tower to the end gun, all 1200'.

On a lighter note, we're all done planting. Got the last of the beans done Thursday. Now if it's warm up and get some heat everything would green up nicely.

Did you realize that they had stripped it before you tried to start it or did you get a fireworks show? I hate thieves. Their mothers must not have taught them if it isn't yours don't touch it. More than likely they needed drug money.
Damn druggies.

Yeah we could row the corn and beets 2 days ago... Now everything is pounded flat and underwater. I wanted to get out of the drought but not by having over half our yearly rain in 2 days. Ravines everywhere in the fields now, and lakes other places. The corn will likely come back where it's not drowned or washed out, but the beets might be gone. Can't say for a few days until it dries out and see if they pop back up. Sucks...

That well deal... We really only have the necessary hp on ours that is needed to make enough pressure so I don't think those would help us.

That sucks that your crops got pounded. We had a hail storm 4 or 5 years ago that pounded foot tall corn and alfalfa that was ready to cut into the ground. The hay that was left was just stems.

The only reason the frequency drives are a benefit to us is the 2 wells we put them on will put out more than just 1 pivot worth of water so when we needed to run lees than the maximum output we would have to throttle back the well and still use the same power. The drive saves us power.

Yeah the Meth heads have been running wild here in Georgia as well. They have been stealing wire off of pivots and out of chicken houses. After the birds are sold the houses sit empty for a few days, during that time they come in and strip all the wire out. They caught a couple of guys that were stealing it out of a house, these guys had a truck jacked up on a block and attached a spool to the wheel then ran a cable inside the chicken house to the switch box. They would cut the wire and attach it to the cable, then put the truck in gear and wind up the cable an wire onto the spool. It just jerks the wire out of the entire house. Cost about 6 grand to get one rewired.

That has been happening some around here.. just luckily not to us

All of our corn is in the ground except for a 2 acre wet hole, a 10 acre seed corn plot and the little bit of sweet corn that we plant.

Beans are all done except for on farm being less than 200 acres.

Feels good to be in the home stretch. Thank god for GPS with auto steer. Without that we would not be this far, to tough run around the clock planting without it.

Weed, I got another question for you,

So I'm sittin here this morning as it is raing here so I go all types of time to look around I found this picture in your album.

What does this thing run on? Propane???? :confused:

You guys got all the neat sh*t that we don't see up here!!!!! :ihih:

picture.php

Yeah the Meth heads have been running wild here in Georgia as well. They have been stealing wire off of pivots and out of chicken houses. After the birds are sold the houses sit empty for a few days, during that time they come in and strip all the wire out. They caught a couple of guys that were stealing it out of a house, these guys had a truck jacked up on a block and attached a spool to the wheel then ran a cable inside the chicken house to the switch box. They would cut the wire and attach it to the cable, then put the truck in gear and wind up the cable an wire onto the spool. It just jerks the wire out of the entire house. Cost about 6 grand to get one rewired.
Open season on druggies anyone? Maybe we need a druggie hunting permit system :ihih:

All of our corn is in the ground except for a 2 acre wet hole, a 10 acre seed corn plot and the little bit of sweet corn that we plant.

Beans are all done except for on farm being less than 200 acres.

Feels good to be in the home stretch. Thank god for GPS with auto steer. Without that we would not be this far, to tough run around the clock planting without it.
I'm jealous. We still have all of our beans to put in the ground.
x2 on the auto-steer. I believe we would have finished faster if we would put a unit on our tillage tractor. It rained too often here to have enough ground worked ahead of us to run all night.

Weed, I got another question for you,

So I'm sittin here this morning as it is raing here so I go all types of time to look around I found this picture in your album.

What does this thing run on? Propane???? :confused:

You guys got all the neat sh*t that we don't see up here!!!!! :ihih:
LOL, yeah it runs on propane. They used to be propane delivery trucks that we picked up REAL cheap. Spent a few bucks putting a second axle under it and painting it up real pretty like. Pulled the bed off an early 70's ford to put on there. They work pretty well when you have your own pump to fuel them with :ihih:.

Last edited:
Open season on druggies anyone? Maybe we need a druggie hunting permit system :ihih:

I'm jealous. We still have all of our beans to put in the ground.
x2 on the auto-steer. I believe we would have finished faster if we would put a unit on our tillage tractor. It rained too often here to have enough ground worked ahead of us to run all night.

LOL, yeah it runs on propane. They used to be propane delivery trucks that we picked up REAL cheap. Spent a few bucks putting a second axle under it and painting it up real pretty like. Pulled the bed off an early 70's ford to put on there. They work pretty well when you have your own pump to fuel them with :ihih:.

what kind of mileage does the oropane get. all i know is that propane is a helluva lot cheaper than #2 around here.

well the town lost probley around 75% of the beet crop. We have one half circle left and yesterday I tore up the rest and we planted a crap load more corn. first year of round up beets isnt going so well

Back