• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Farming Thread:

The bandit thing almost made us keep our small square, but it cost a lot. Cheaper to just go with the round baler.

Thanks for the well answers....

FWIW....I planted sweet corn (in waves) starting about 2 months ago. Tallest stuff is 5 ft, shortest stuff if 6". Should be good! What fertilizer do you typically use and when? I hit it with a little 25-26-18 early, and just some nitrogen lately.......if it's deep green, no problems?

just put a little more nitrogen on when its tasseling, that'll help it fill the ear nicely. be sure you're watering it well too. most field corn varieties can use 1/2" water per day when its growing at its fastest.

The bandit thing almost made us keep our small square, but it cost a lot. Cheaper to just go with the round baler.

Yeah I understand you on the money thing. I got the bandit and the 4590 Hesston bailer for about half what just the bandit cost. We bought it in order to increase the money we could get out of our hay.

I got a whopping 158 small square bales picked up last night....... I know it's a lot. Don't act so impressed!

I have bailed a little over 3400 since Monday. That is exactly about 3100 more than I would have bailed if I was handling them by hand.

That's a pretty good deal then, they don't give those balers away either.

just put a little more nitrogen on when its tasseling, that'll help it fill the ear nicely. be sure you're watering it well too. most field corn varieties can use 1/2" water per day when its growing at its fastest.

OK, I guessed and got it right.....:conehead:

No PK or micro later?

It is 95F, I need to add more water.

i am hoping to cut first cutting alfalfa and my grass alfalfa this weekend big low off the coast is just screwing with my timing. its time to cut everything is either seeded out or bloomed to death. saw those bale bandit deals like to see it work up close some day. in the mean time i keep my harrowbed stacker. if i did bigger numbers of hay like i used to it would be tempting. for me where i sell all my hay a round bale just won't sell. i wish i fed all my hay so i could make it for me and not the market. my teff hay is up about an inch or so. had some spotty growth.

if you put some P & K down earlier, i wouldn't worry about doing it now. just water. and watch for silk clipping when it starts putting ears on.

OK, I guessed and got it right.....:conehead:

No PK or micro later?

It is 95F, I need to add more water.

I tossed bales a good portion of friday, once we got the baler to work.............

3/4 time spent under the tractor, 1/4 using it lol.

Anybody else done any replanting?

Over the last few days I replanted 35 acres of corn and gave up hope on another 10 acres or so. That's out of my 620 acres of corn total. Also replanted 40 acres of beans and hope to get another 10 or so done today after I get more seed. That's out of 570 acres total of beans.

I've already got 2-4 ears per stock on the early plant, what is silk clipping?
When the rootworm beetles (or whatever pest by you) start knawing on the silk. No silk to catch the pollen = no kernels. Every strand of silk is 1 potential kernel.

When the rootworm beetles (or whatever pest by you) start knawing on the silk. No silk to catch the pollen = no kernels. Every strand of silk is 1 potential kernel.

x2. the silks grow pretty quick until they are pollinated, so it takes a good amount of clipping to cause problems. just keep an eye on it. once the silks turn brown, there's no worry about clipping anymore, the kernels have been pollinated.

Hopefully we'll get our first field baled today..we were gonna try yesterday but the weather here has been kinda shitty, but it is finally warmin up a little. we will probably cut more tomorrow or wednesday. The oats are comin up pretty good now, not too sure about the sudan grass..everyone says sudan really likes the heat and it just hasnt gotten hot like it normally does yet, we are havin pump/water issues with two of our sudan fields but i we just about got that worked out.

Last tueday night i hung out with my hay buyer and she said it would be a really good year price wise, everything was up..i think she even said sudan was up $60 a ton IIRC

x2. the silks grow pretty quick until they are pollinated, so it takes a good amount of clipping to cause problems. just keep an eye on it. once the silks turn brown, there's no worry about clipping anymore, the kernels have been pollinated.

OK, I looked close, cannot see any clipping. I planted 4 plots about 2 weeks apart each, so I've still got to watch for it.

Another corn question.....after my first batch set ears, it seemed to lose about a foot or two of height. The ears set about 1-2 feet off the ground, but the top of the stalk really fell back once the tassles were gone. Normal? We did get knocked with some serious/abnormal heat (110F, 4 days) but I kept the water on it heavy and it did not look stressed otherwise.......

if the silks are dark brown, the plant basically doesn't need anything above the ear anymore. more leaves help fill the ear and absorb sunlight, but i wouldn't worry about the tassel breaking off or getting damaged.

Thanks for the info......I think my corn is good for now....other than having to be watered 2x a day to keep it from wilting......

Any tips on when to pick it at its peak?

The silks will start out white, and progress to brown and dry out. Normally when the silks turn brown and dry you are good to go. I find it hard to explain, just second nature to me I guess. Kinda like I can tell it it has a worm based on the look of the silk and if it is filled out based on it's feel with out opening it up.

Looks like I'm all set then! I opened one up after reading this, looked pretty good. Not symmetrically perfect, but good.....

You get your bean problem taken care of?

Back