• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bringing 1993 Patch back from the dead...

Question, do you plan to do anything at all to the crank, or just clean and go?

I am checking on my bearing supply and will let you know when I do..

.013 = .0005"
.026 = .001"

Edit, missed a 0 ---- .013 = .0005"

Last edited:
@WarWagon , all those bearings are in stock... it's 3am eastern now, I'm leaving on a business trip, I will be traveling till tonight, I will pm you a cost some time today or maybe call you, might be tomorrow tho.. but I can supply them as you listed them if you want..

Just clean and go. So I need bearings and a High Volume oil pump with pickup tube installed if you can get that. Aka 1998 pickup truck oil pump...

It looks like one of the gears failed/defective in a corner on the oil pump from rust or something. It's got a void, but, doesn't look like it ate a chunk?! Pics later.

I will call the machine shop and ask about prices for balance, hot tank clean, etc.

I assume the other listed bearings are 'standard' size?

Do the other numbers and letters mean anything? Like C and D are select fit different but still 'standard bore' piston sizes. Like the "A250" part of the bearing numbers? Short Ref: from last page...

Connecting Rods:
Bottom
#1 026MMUS A250 A861
#2 0.026 A250 A861
#3 A250 A102

So finally "took" time to work on Patch. I got my hands full with other things...

Anyway after talking with some people and plastigauge of the main bearings: I am comfortable with where they are at.

So I went ahead and pulled the lifters in order and labeled in a box. I also pulled the fuel pump rod. The I pulled the cam. I hate pulling 6.2 cams. I need to make sure the dirt seen in the main and rod bearings didn't hurt the cam or cam bearings. Honestly I'd rather just not know that: It. Needs. Cam. Bearings. At least one anyway. #2 cracked bearing shown in a mirror. :banghead: It's clear the dirt didn't enter the cam bearings. From crank maybe. Or luck and still from oil pump.

The cam itself isn't in that bad of shape. The fuel pump lobe is trash, but, not a show stopper. @Will L. HAHAHA Yes, I am already running an electric fuel pump. I likely have to upgrade the Walbro for the Moose Jr.

Old trashed lobes cam on the right and only there to show camera differences that may show wear or overheating of the wear surfaces.

Flash on:

See the bearing wear on the right? Aka trashed cam from the blown up engine.

Might as well take the block and have the shop hot tank it and replace the plugs and clean all the oil galleys..

Yeah, Cam bearings are beyond my limitations for tools and know-how. So to the machine shop for clean out and cam bearings.

So I called Ted's Trucks. Emailed them pictures. Cam, lifters, bearings, oil pump add up quick.

They are sending me another engine.

Something about needing XRay vision sometimes. I don't disagree as it took a teardown to see the hidden problems. Caught it before install and failure down the road for sure.

@MrMarty51
iirc Chris was offering free coatings on a specific “performance cam” if you buy it and send to him so he can run it on the cam dr. Then more knowledge if there is a “best” cam to use. Knowing the lift of unspecified cams is always good before install.

Now, idk about buying the cam and having it shipped directly to him for measurements and maybe not having coated, but you sending it back for refund if you dont like the specs incase it is b.s. claim. Sorry, i am horrible at searching threads to give you a link.

@WarWagon
Has the replacement engine showed up yet?
Any funny jokes from Eric lately? Haha

April 1st I am notified my engine is ready to ship and is the warrantied engine ready to ship back? Yeah, the one that's scattered all over the garage at the moment...

"Oh, F!!!" 🤦

Admittedly Teds got me damn good on the 1st: No, they don't want it back.

Got here Friday at the dock and ready for pickup Monday. I unloaded this just after midnight into the garage.

Its that many are all being bought by government planet’s sub company.
And the optimizer being better, became well known enough that at auction the prices tacked on a thousand to sometimes two thousand. I followed a few through auction watching for my cousin. The 5 optimizers I saw all went for near $3,000!

And because more are turbo’d and the military still thinks it’s ok to not have an engine fan come on until 230- they are blowing them up, not just replace by mileage or year.

I was talking with Marge @ Teds, they have 3 pallets of heads (mostly gm) with minor to major cracking from opening up for inspection. She said used to be 1 in 10 was a problem. Now 4 in 10. Infact they refused to sell heads, GM or Optimizer.

Once the price went up on Optimizers, she said it just isn’t profitable to do and keep price acceptable. So they don’t even try to buy any now.

Someone bought ALL of their precups btw, even though 99% had minor to medium cracking.

Back