• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Banks sidewinder exhaust manifold group buy.

Are you making a cross over in front of engine just under harmonic balancer?

Maybe time to start a new thread?

Basically like Tubonater did on DP except much cleaner install.
I guess a new thead on a crossover would be good, I'll wait til I get going on it though.

That can be the worst pain of all! but tell her it beats a $60000 truck note

Whats different about a 4x4? skid plate maybe?
I'll have the brand new van manifold here today. I'll get pics of it then.

Anyone have an old crossover they want to get rid of? I need the 3-bolt flanges and short stub of pipe for the prototype crossover.

I have one my scrap metal pile now. You can have it if you pay the shipping. PM me.

I have one my scrap metal pile now. You can have it if you pay the shipping. PM me.

I found after I posted that my brother has one. If for some reason it dose'int work or I need another I'll let you know.
Thank you for the offer.

I found after I posted that my brother has one. If for some reason it dose'int work or I need another I'll let you know.
Thank you for the offer.

No problem. I may saw the ends off with the porta band. May come in handy for you or somebody else trying to a little r&d.

Looks like those manifolds could be used in making a set of twins....

Probably could, but that raises my earlier question: is 4 cyls enough to drive an ATT? Would probably work good with two GM8's ??? or other turbos.

Anyone have a picture of the front diff showing relationship to front of engine area?

I really doubt it.

At the other place a member is running twin gm8s

That is about the proper sizing for that damned small GM8 turbo. Good use for the surplus factory turbo is 2 per 6.5 engine. I agree it takes all 8 to light the ATT.

OK so Im still getting parts together. Got the banks manifold today. I'll get pic of that tomorrow.

Below are some misc parts I'll use to get started.

crossoverproject.jpgcrossoverproject2.jpgcrossoverproject3.jpg

I also have an idea that I want to build. The basic concept is to turn the turbo off and naturally asperate (NA) the engine.

I'll also want to run a QSV with the ATT.

The benefits IMO are three: 1. with QSV you get benefit of a smaller faster spooling turbo. 2. You get a biger ATT turbo and its better flowing exaust. 3. with a system to bypass the turbo you will have to NA and with that hopefully see even more effienecy from the engine.

Even a 1mpg increase is big and pays for itself.

The basic idea is to use 2 exhaust cutouts, one on the intake side and another on the exhaust. I'll have one between the QSV and manifold. The exhaust flow will be relieved into the down pipe adaptor.
The other cutout will be on the intake between the filter and intake. It will be plumbed into one of my ATT manifold adaptors using 3" ducting.
So the idea is, Hit the switch on the dash in low load conditions to swith to NA mode. When you need power again just switch back.
This will be on a very basic on/off swith, but utimately would like it to be an automated system.

Sounds very interesting, Can't wait to hear more!

I'm sure the banks manifold and shorter crossover will increase efficiency alone.

Those are the manifold to turbo pipes I have, there are some better flowing ones available. But of coarse a little more $.

The basic concept is to turn the turbo off and naturally asperate (NA) the engine. . . . When you need power again just switch back . . . on a very basic on/off swith, . . . [or] an automated system.

Cool idea.

For a turbo - N/A hybrid system, I suspect there is more 'behind the curtain work' to the puzzle than simply flipping a switch to control N/A & turbo exhaust routing. Specifically, DB2 rigs will probably need to find the right setting for the fuel knob that is either optimal for N/A, or turbo and OBD rigs (if possible) recognize and switch fuel mappings appropriate to the mode.

To the overall question of a 6.5 TD getting better economy simply from a bypass to N/A, we may need to look into this some more given that Banks (and one other thread I found elsewhere) indicate that the 6.2 gets better economy *with* a turbo.

Not to derail the logic train though, how about taking things sequentially?

And from the absolutely, and undeniably, self-serving perspective . . . Is that crossover and down-pipe ready yet?!?!? :D

Back