• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Banks sidewinder exhaust manifold group buy.

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
I have available the Banks Sidewinder exhaust manifold. I can sell one at a time for $429. If I can buy 5 at a time the cost would drop to $405.
Anyone?

These are the early design (best one) with the turbo on the front of the manifold. The crossover flow also enters the front under the turbo so the exhaust flow is not crossing any ports on the pass side manifold like the GM one does. Im looking to get the crossover pipe also, but I'm not sure what Banks used for a driver side manifold so fabrication may be needed???
Fabrication/relocation or other work will be needed for battery & Air box....ect.
A quick spool valve would be a cool addition.
Anyway let me know what you think.

Pics are available here of the two different styles under the Download tab. I don't know if both are being offered? But the later design may drop in with less trouble esp. as a replacement part.

http://bankspower.com/products/show/156/11

This is cheaper than a new part from the dealer if and when yours warp to the point of leaking...

(Just observing / asking, and definitely want to keep the conversation going) The Banks system as a whole looks great when going from N/A to turbo. The curiosity items I see are:
> with the longer crossover it looks like it will introduce a smidgen more out-of-phase exhaust delivery to the turbo in comparison to the current setup; naturally, the center turbo seems like it is the best for matching the exhaust delivery. (Analogy: think single carburetor mid-mount setup where cylinders 1, 2, 7, & 8 always lagged due to distance from the fuel.)
> What is necessary to mate OBDII guts? Will the OE upper intake still work or do we need to go with the Banks upper intake?

To the question of drivers / LS manifold, the Diesel World installation write-up makes it look like the OE manifold stays in place and a new, longer, crossover mates to it.

Am not sold that the OE air box needs replacement, but the plumbing will definitely need to change.

In terms of pricing for just the manifold, am currently seeing the passenger / RS OE manifold for ~$250 from the Giant, so to sell the Banks manifold we need convincing gains over stock.

To go the Banks route, the short list of mods I am seeing are:
> RS manifold (obviously)
> downpipe
> crossover
> Intake plumbing
> Heat shielding of misc components.

Big question I have had about Banks was why he did not give attention to the 6.5 outside of the military installation. Sure, I get-it that the 6.5'ers are know for frugality, but so are the Ferd 7.3'ers and Banks readily supports them.

Again, just contributing to the conversation. Personally, I am in a good position to go the Banks route given the pending motor transplant along with the mechanic grousing about rust on the Burb's exhaust manifolds, but the budget is getting stretched with 'while we are here' mods and I want the Burb back. Like I have asked another highly respected vendor, need some help in spending the extra $$ to overcome lower priced OE parts that may, or may not, perform the same.

Let the fun of exploration begin! :thumbsup:

Just double checked the Gian's pricing. Drivers / LS is ~$250 and RS is ~$160. Pricing error? Maybe as I would have expected the RS to have more metal to it. Anyway, all I know is what I see . . .

Im definatley not a turbo expert, you guys know way more than me. I just try to make available products that are asked for.
To me it seems obvious there would be an improvement in efficeiency with the Bank manifold though. Im in it for MPG ^
and if power gains come along then thats a bonus.

To show my ingnorance of turbo therory I'll ask this question/s: Is the driver side exhaust flow even needed? Could Pass side crossover port be blocked off? and then run dual exhaust. Seems one could run a smaller exhaust on driver side to load the engine and simulate the turbo load. Is the flow from just 4 cylinders enough to drive the turbo?

The GM manifold splits the flow from the driver's side and runs it past 2 exhaust ports at 90 degrees. Horrible turbulence aka restriction from doing this. Couple years since I checked for 6.5 TD manifolds for the passenger side and they were not available anywhere other than a dealer then.

Is the driver side exhaust flow even needed? Could Pass side crossover port be blocked off? and then run dual exhaust. . . . Is the flow from just 4 cylinders enough to drive the turbo?

Interesting idea. Will admit that this is getting out of my league too, but seems a small handful of others have already sort-of done it by way of a twin turbo. Naturally, the twin turbo setups tend to overcome the long time gap of 4 out of 8 cylinder exhaust pulses through nearly double the RPM's of our 6.5's, but the proof of concept is solid.

The GM manifold splits the flow from the driver's side and runs it past 2 exhaust ports at 90 degrees. Horrible turbulence aka restriction from doing this.

Completely agree about the disruption from wave collision. It just takes me to an open question of why somebody like Banks does not see a market in fixing the issue. I am checking on a source that does exhaust flow design for gasser race engines and seeing if they have any turbo diesel experience to offer commentary on theoretical gains of OE versus Bank's design.

Leroy, am presuming you are talking directly with the Banks folks for parts orders, how about getting the back history / philosophy of why the passenger / light truck 6.5 does not have any product offerings?

Aside, I saw that Walt listed used manifolds, but the price was simply not attractive compared to what I saw on the Giant for new.

Interesting idea. Will admit that this is getting out of my league too, but seems a small handful of others have already sort-of done it by way of a twin turbo. Naturally, the twin turbo setups tend to overcome the long time gap of 4 out of 8 cylinder exhaust pulses through nearly double the RPM's of our 6.5's, but the proof of concept is solid.

Good points.
How would one measure the CFM coming out the exhaust? Im thinking to meassure the passenger side on 4 cly then tune the drivers to match (appox)

If you guys are truly interested in sharing costs I have a company that can make us a manifold for the driver side. Kind of ha;f pursued it but reasonable that we can have a manifoldmade out of stainless for maybe close to the same price. Possible?

Dennis what's your thought on the unequal pressures from PS to DS? Do you think 4CLYs would drive the ATT properly?
Im willing to try it, but have so little time to play right now.

Also, forgot to say. Would the use of the Quick Spool Valve help with using only 4 cly's to drive the turbo?

Quick update. Correction price would be $379 if I buy 5 or more at a time. Anyone want to take the plunge with me?

$399 shipped in USA.

Still tempted . . . Will make the decision in a few days.

What about the other parts that need to swap out?

In addition to the above list, am thinking that new oil feed & return hoses for the turbo are one of the must-haves as well; thoughts?

Well, basically one would need to modify everything that touches the turbo along with the crossover. The crossover IMO will be the hardest mod to do.
I still think it worthwhile, but thats just my gut feeling.

You could use a pass. Side van manifold and mount the outlet facing foward on the driver side. Custom cross over in front of the motor.

This in not my idea but it's what the turbonator bros did. They have a thread about using the banks manifold on a gmt400 over at the place.

I had thought of using a 6.2 manifold in the same way, but the outlet on the manifold I saw would be just as much work or more. Is the van manifold outlet shaped different? Now that Im thinking about it i do seem to remember it facing down (closer to 90*) That would be a good canidate if so.
Got a link to DP?

Here's a picture of the Banks manifold and the van manifold.

Comparison (Medium).jpg

Back