• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Adventure Vehicles NW vs Autoworld Motor Mounts

My little sister had a '70 Dart in high school with the slant 6 in it. She put a 2bbl carb split intake (1 bbl each for 3 cylinders) and a set of split headers ( dual "Y" for 3 cylinders each) with dual exhausts on it. That thing sounded wicked (just love the sound of 3 cylinder exhaust) and had fairly decent performance for what it was (but couldn't stay with my '68 Dart GT with the hi-po 273 V-8 I had in college for tooling around town in, along with my '72 402 BB Monte Carlo, too) and pulled down mid-20's on the highway for fuel mileage - respectable even today. Of course, gas was $0.32⁹ a gallon back then!
Early 80's Dodge pickup named the Prospector w/slant 6 was billed as getting 27 mpg......

Sorry to bring back a post from a bit ago but I'm in the middle of my Cummins swap and having the same troubles with my SSOR mounts. It's like they are an inch off from where the should be. For starters, my truck is a 98 K3500 dually (454) and the only modification I've made to the frame is the mount perch locations. I've also countersink 3 or 4 of the diff bolts.

I attempted to test fit the engine last night and it was quickly apparent that something wasn't right. I could get the passenger side to sit down but then the driver side mount was either 1" away from touching the mounting pad on the frame or I could tilt the motor down a bit but then the mount was sitting about 1.25" too low on the pad.

I do have the longer mount on the DS of the block, so that's not it. The truck was completely original in terms of suspension and drivetrain so I'm not telling with a frame problem. The problem I'm having is ultimately the same issue that usanumber1 showed pictures of.

Anyone else have this same issue?? What was the resolution? I dont like the idea of having to run a spacer on one side to make it bolt up... not when I've already spent $400+ on custom mounts.

Anyway, I'll attach a couple pictures:

Attachments

• 20200316_214640.jpg
    20200316_214640.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200316_214654.jpg
    20200316_214654.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200316_212741.jpg
    20200316_212741.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200316_211628.jpg
    20200316_211628.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 7
Hello, I would like to know the secret of this as well. Planing to buy the mounts for my swap project as weel. My truck is GMC, Sierra, V8-350,1992, 3500, CrewCab, Long Body, all original
Thanks

My read of this situation is that you have a reputable company (or two) that makes conversion parts and one of their parts, for whatever reason - be it an initial measurements issue, measurements to prototype fabrication issue, prototype to production piece issue, whatever - has a motor mount that is about 1" too short to be a "bolt in" piece of hardware.

For what a person pays for this what's supposed to be a "bolt and go" part, I would not pay to have either the motor mount modified, nor the pad have an adapter made for the mount, either. This is twice now that this same manufacturer has had the exact same issue on two different installs with the same part. Whatever the cause, the manufacturer needs to address the issue, not only in the field with customers using the motor mount conversion kit, but also internally to find out why it is having an issue with the DS motor mount being so far off from fitting the application and either way, making it right with the customers who have had this problem.

Otherwise, if the customer possesses the needed skills, or local fabrication can be done at low enough cost, I'd get a refund (or not buy the kit in the first place) and just fabricate up a set of motor mounts on my own, instead.

Hi Thanks for the welcome and the advise. I realy liked the SSOR mounts how they look. Strudy and bit same as original but now with this issue i am not that sure if i want to pay $$$ for something i need to rework. So make my own or buy a different setup? all others want big $$ as well. so might make my own. just need to find some good rubbers i guess. anybody tried to adopt the original dodge to fit?

My read of this situation is that you have a reputable company (or two) that makes conversion parts and one of their parts, for whatever reason - be it an initial measurements issue, measurements to prototype fabrication issue, prototype to production piece issue, whatever - has a motor mount that is about 1" too short to be a "bolt in" piece of hardware.

For what a person pays for this what's supposed to be a "bolt and go" part, I would not pay to have either the motor mount modified, nor the pad have an adapter made for the mount, either. This is twice now that this same manufacturer has had the exact same issue on two different installs with the same part. Whatever the cause, the manufacturer needs to address the issue, not only in the field with customers using the motor mount conversion kit, but also internally to find out why it is having an issue with the DS motor mount being so far off from fitting the application and either way, making it right with the customers who have had this problem.

Otherwise, if the customer possesses the needed skills, or local fabrication can be done at low enough cost, I'd get a refund (or not buy the kit in the first place) and just fabricate up a set of motor mounts on my own, instead.

After talking with a few people, I ended up adding a 1" thick plate steel "washer" in between the driver side mount and the block. I'll be honest, I was NOT happy about this, but I feel strongly enough about the structural design of the SSOR mounts that I opted to keep them and run the spacer. For what it's worth, I do think that SSOR needs to rework these mounts or offer the 1" premade spacer included in the cost of the mounts. The design is awesome, but there is no excuse for the poor fitment, especially for ~$420! I did contact SSOR but didn't really feel Paul was all that motivated to make the situation right. The responses were very short and largely unhelpful. Oh, well. Take that for what it's worth. On the other hand, I've spoken with Joel @ Jonesy's numerous times and have had an overall positive experience with his company so far.

That's where I'm at for now. I'll post pics of the mounts up when I get things finalized.

I got answer for that question from Paul saying is your frame is not damaged no need for spacer. I like the design and migt just make a freeking spacer to, crap but well

I'd say that answer speaks volumes. My truck's frame is 100% fine and all the bracing is still in tact. For the mounts to have been 1in off, my original 454 would have had to have been severely bound up in the frame. Obviously, it wasn't. My frame is fine, just as it was from the factory.

Maybe this dudes test truck used for the template had a bent frame-
Sounds to me like he needs to have someone near him use his mounts and let him see whats up. Probably has 1/2” error from what he made originally to production on each side.

Same would be mine just a 350 in there and i bought it with 11k on the dash lol yep its a 1992. it spent 25 years in prison condoned to wait a light bulb blows and needs to be changed. My buddy bought it in auction with 7.5k and run it till i bought it off him. unfortuenate there is still some rust on cab where driver sits and 2 leave hangers are finish

@Will L. Any chance it could it be that SSOR's "test mule" for their Cummins to GM motor mount adapters was a Straight Six Chevy chassis? It would explain a lot if the Chevy Six's DS frame pad had that extra 1+" of height built into it for the narrower Chevy Six block. Did the early 1988's have a Straight Six as an option, by chance?

I cant remember when the 6-230 and the 6-250 were made. Descent engine but underpowered. Had issues cracking heads and steaming out then the bored out 230 for more power was the 250 and it had same head, but now the cylinder wall could crack in over heating also.
I owned one of each that I remember, might have owned another but blocked it out if so.

hmm... 6.2/6.5- sounds like lineage curse to me!

So I suppose in 1988, the first year of that chassis, a person could have gotten a Straight Six in theory. Still, it makes a person wonder why are these mounts so far off, yet the manufacturer claims that there is nothing wrong with them and that they fit - even though we have here on the Forum two separate examples, with pictures, of installs where they do NOT fit the application they're supposed to.

Hmmm.

I wonder if the mounts from this company are the same. This is a Great Falls Montana based company.

I wonder if the mounts from this company are the same. This is a Great Falls Montana based company.
Do you mean with regards to spacing?

The quality of the SSOR mounts is second to none: all laser cut and fully TIG welded. They clearly work in his conversions, and I believe the OP of this thread didn't have any issues, however I count 2 people that have contacted me with regards to this exact same problem.

Back