• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

95 k2500 followed me home

So for the absolute last time , I have triple checked the timing gears and IP gears. It looks like it should work. The hub did come off end on pump, talked to pump guy and he said if pin is still there that it will be good. Hope so cause I put it back together. Still doesn't work. I have 10 psi of fuel pressure, what's different is that there is an air bubble in the clear tube that is not moving. Crank and it drops down to metal line , stop cranking and it moves back up to highest point. Do I need to crank injector lines again? Or do you think there is something wrong with the pump? Also , do you guys see any problem with using the transmission and controller from the 93 in this truck? It should swap right over, right?
Thanks
Eric

Trapped air in the line is normal. It is a trail of tiny bubbles to worry about. Shouldn’t be any more air in there. 20 pei is good.

Assume you know you cant just time it like a db2, need a computer/ scanner (another reason to hate ds4). Maybe tell what you are using and procedure you are doing. Then the guys can maybe catch a misstep in there that might dial you in.

I am using the gmtd scan tech to time, eventually. It still smokes so bad . I wish I could post pictures of the this cloud . I just don't know. I don't think a compression test will tell me much, the rings have set in. No hard hoses no coolant in oil. Doesn't smell like water / coolant. Smells like diesel.

Well it finally runs. I was able to get the pump set where the computer likes it . -1.50 is where it is set at right now. I have just started driving it a bit and it runs well, although the glow plugs dont appear to be working right. I have changed the controller , harness and reused the old glow plugs from the dually. They are only 6 months old , but havent been checked. It has an exhaust leak from passenger side , #6 hole. When i kill the cylinder it goes away. I hope its a exhaust leak. Moved the injector from #6 to #2 and the noise is still there. I've got some gauges to install and continue to break it in. Received my 4 position tuner from quadstar a few days ago , but will wait a bit before I put it in. Once the engine warms up it has no smoke or blow by, and not loosing any coolant. Thanks for all the help. Ill get some pictures up soon. Most of the issues that i had with getting this truck going is do to me not knowing how sensitive the pump timing can be and how much movement of the pump is to much or to little.
Thanks
Eric

I continue to drive the truck and overall Iam happy with how it runs. In my last post i mentioned that it had an exhaust leak, Well it wasnt an exhaust leak. When I put the truck together I installed a oil pressure gauge and just set it on the trans hump.Its only temporary until i get my gauge cluster built . Anyway, in searching for the source of the I checked the manifolds , crossover, heat shields , checked the torque convertor bolts, and nothing. My son was over this last weekend and told him what was going on, so we go for a test drive. I'ma 1/4 mile down the road , and he picks up the gauge and the noise stops. WTH! Put it down noise is back. The only excuse is that the turbo torch has robbed me of my hearing. So after that detour I started driving the truck again, and it was doing good until today. On the way home from work it was running advanced and then chugging real bad and wouldnt go over 10 mph, luckily I was almost home. Pulled the codes , 18,19,35 ,39 ,54?. Also had onr for the coolant sensor. I changed the coolant sensor and cleared the codes. I drove it in to town to pick up dinner and all was well, then under about 1/2 to 3/4 pedal it died. Pulled the codes and it gave a 18/19 . Used the scientific method , cussed and touched some wires, nothing.Switched the pmd over, nothing . Waited about 5 minutes and it started. Drove it home , and switched the pmd back to the one on the bumper and drove some more , but no codes yet. So after all that , is this a intermittent pmd problem ? or potentially something else. the pmd on the bumper is new from Leroy's diesel and my spare is a stanadyne .. Thanks.

This truck is driving me nuts. Now its throwing codes 18/35/54. Is this due to grounds? Also i have noticed that the fuel pressure is dropping off. I have 9 psi at idle and 3/4 while rolling down the road under acceleration . It has a carter lift pump on it and Leroy's fuel pump harness. Thanks For the Help.

I have the carter lift pump from Leroy to (maybe a year to year 1/2 old) and it always had about 9 at idle and about 4 or 5 when loaded. In the past few weeks I’ve noticed that it idles at 5 and goes to 0 when loaded. This just started happening. I changed the fuel filter when I first noticed it and that didn’t change anything. I know that seeing 0 is only pressure not volume but I still don’t like it.

How old is your carter lift pump @plumbtuf

The carter lift pump is about 6 months old. It will hold 9-10 psi in the morning and then in the afternoon when its warmer at idle it is around 5psi and 3-4 under load. so it dosent seem to be as efficient when its hot out. The biggest problem I have right now is the ATT turbo, I dont think its the right turbo at elevation . I am at 6400-6600', and tow the travel Trailer up over passes at 9=10k. Even with the quadstar tune it just seems to be lacking. This is the second truck ive had this turbo on and its the same story.

I don't know of any other turbo that will work well at those altitudes either. Might try an intercooler, it's not about boost numbers it's about oxygen density. Your just having trouble getting enough oxygen

It might a little but the oxygen is what your after. You can get turbos that have higher boost numbers but you wouldn't necessarily be getting more oxygen. Plus then you can have higher cylinder pressures

What is your boost and at what rpm? Does the smoke clear up at any rpm and if so what rpm/boost?

At that altitude you have a fight on your hands for sure.
I would say wmi before inner cooler install too. - have you measured What is the egt pre and post turbo?

The colder you can get the air the more you can condense it to get more oxygen into every compression stroke.

I cant help how to do it but way back when, one of the gm guys involved in my hot rod truck set up oxygen sensors on each header and intake manifold to read volumes of oxygen.

I generally hear nothing but good stuff from people using John’s tunes, but I know he usually recommends gated turbos. The difference on the Heath tunes with ATT and the Kojo tunes with ATT was very noticeable. Never driven a John tune w/ att.

The ATT is going to generate lore lag than any of the gated turbos until you get to some really big ones. The non gated advantage is high rpm, especially sustained and when you have to fight high egt.

Yes an inner cooler is going to add lag to the ATT. Wmi will not, and if you run it 50/50 meth, will eliminate some of the current lag depending how much you can run.
The methanol is another fuel obviously, so already not enough oxygen that could take some playing.

Oh yeah- those 3 codes still pointing to ip issues. No telling if until those get squared away, maybe the turbo and tune would do perfect but the ip cant do what it is being told to do.

Last edited:
Back