• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'95 Engine build

So long as it works for ya. I do it like the 2nd picture you show. And just drive it all the way down the side. It goes at an angle so every couple inches i have to pull it back a hair and redirect to go straight.
I do that along the intake side first, then front and rear. Finish with exhaust side.

Is this still the preferred method on installing the studs, as mentioned here? Optimum black and then the steps mentioned by TSP including the chamfer, that is.

When I was taking the passenger side valve cover off the donor motor today, I saw there was what appeared to be another layer, but it wasn't clear to me what it was. Once the cover was off, I still couldn't tell what I was seeing. Is it a gasket of some sort? I didn't see anything like this on the other side valve cover.
1671321887670.png
I was able to use the technique I described above and got this side off without issue. I taped the putty knife so I knew how far I could safely drive the blade.
20221217_150634.jpg

I am not sure how much age or miles are needed to make these plastic buttons turn brown, but these were yellowed, assuming they're white when new.
20221217_152309.jpg
All 6 holes I can see have this for the crosshatching. I believe that's a good sign. Maybe it doesn't mean much since it's getting torn down anyhow, but I was still pleased.
20221217_153445.jpg
20221217_153450.jpg

I had it in my mind the head gaskets would not be branded or if they were, that they would have been something custom to AMG or GEP. Are these standard issue for a new Optimizer when built?
20221217_153457.jpg
20221217_153502.jpg

Is this the other thread you mentioned a while back where you cut heads apart? I think we discussed a couple months back when I linked a few, but couldn't find it.
I found the above thread when looking for "valve relief" you mentioned.

Is this the other thread you mentioned a while back where you cut heads apart? I think we discussed a couple months back when I linked a few, but couldn't find it.
I found the above thread when looking for "valve relief" you mentioned.
Yes that's one of the old threads..

Back